JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was given this shotgun from an old friend that was moving overseas and he could not take it with him. He said it belonged to his father and when his father died he got it.

It is a 20 gauge double barrel shotgun, with double triggers. It has the following markings~
Ranger 101.6 on the side of the receiver. On one barrel it has: Selected Forged Steel.
On the other barrel: Proof Tested 20 Gauge 2 3/4 Inch Chamber.

I can not find a serial # anywhere, but it does have what appear to be proof marks on the receiver under the barrels.
The shotgun had a spray on finish applied many years ago , by the original owner when the original bluing started to wear off, according to his son.
There is no rust or pitting on the shotgun inside or out that i could find, the action is tight with no wobble and the bores are bright. The stock and forend are in good condition.
I took it apart to inspect and clean and it fires great, with no problems. The spray on finish is worn off the barrels on the high contact areas, like it was carried in a vehicle gun rack and there is no rust or pitting on the exposed metal.

My question is this, is this shotgun worth restoring money wise or should i just leave it alone?

If i pay a shop to refinish it would i be able to get my money back, plus a bit of profit for my trouble, if i decide to sell it?

I do not have the equipment or skill to do a quality job of refinishing it myself.

Thank's in advance for any help.
Robert

Last Edited:
I was hoping someone on here would know some info on this shotgun. All i could find online is some of the same model in 16g and they were asking over $400.00.
I did not know if these were common in 20g or a more rare model...
Still hoping for some help in finding info.
Thank's
Robert.

It sounds like a Stevens and sold through Sears. I have a .22 rifle marked Ranger 101-11a that was made by Stevens.
I would look it up in Numrich gun parts for parts availability and cross over numbers.
Asking and getting $400.00 is problematic with some of these older firearms. I would refinish it myself. I highly recommend a rust bluing product called "Laurel Mountain Forge"
Very user friendly for the first timer and the best bluing job for $15.00.

Thank you very much jbett98 for the help and the link. as soon as the holiday's are over i will spend some time working on this fine shooting old shotgun!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top