Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question on rimfire kits for centerfire guns...

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by jhc5, Oct 25, 2009.

1. jhc5

jhc5 Seattle, WA Member

Why do all the kits that allow you to shoot 22lr from your centerfire handgun only have 10 round magazines? It seems that they should be able to stuff far more rimfire rounds into the mags? Even the dedicated rimfire guns on fullsize frames (such as CZ Kadet) only have a 10 round capacity. Anybody got some insight? :confused:

2. Blov

Blov Oregon Central Coast Member

I have a hunch single stack clips are easier to make and more reliable therefore 10 rounds. Then they also don't have to worry about the states that ban over 10 round mags. I could be wrong but that is my guess.

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

They are 10 rounds because .22 only really feed well from a single stack, and you cant really fit more than 10 single stacked in a mag.

4. jhc5

jhc5 Seattle, WA Member

Internet went down for a bit... Thanks for the replies to my question. So much for the dream of 30 round mags. :D.

5. snowdriver

snowdriver sandy,oregon Member

think it may have something to do with the rim on a 22lr casing,they dont stack up very well

6. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

Yeah this. Can you imagine a Banana clip sticking out the bottom of your 1911.:bluelaugh:

7. CrossHairs

CrossHairs Tigard Active Member

I've got the Sig P226 22 LR conversion, and someone has created a modification that allows a 15 round capacity in the standard mag by replacing the spring and the spring plug. I've not purchased it...and probably won't either.

But I agree...a banana clip would look pretty weird sticking out the bottom of the pistol grip.