JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just looking for inputs. I have a 77/17wsm that shoots very well, but I am not confident that the wsm will survive. Even with building up a stockpile of ammo, I wonder if I wouldn't be better off converting the rifle to the 17 Hornet that shares the same receiver. Question is, is it simply a bolt and barrel change? Will Ruger even sell the bolts separately?

BTW, I know the easy answer is probably to sell the wsm and pick up a Hornet elsewhere, but after having the barrel cut and threaded, and all the ammo I've built up, I'm already invested in this thing more than I would get out of it.

Trying to get "regulated" parts out of Ruger is a red-headed bubblegum. The bolt is considered one of these parts. I have not been asked to do one of these conversions, so I don't know much about the particulars, sorry.

I'd heard that was the case. I've been stocking up on the wsm ammo in case it does not survive. It is certainly plentiful for now, but I tend to go through a bunch in a hurry when we hit the prairie rats. I'll just keep buying, and if I get too paranoid, sell off the rifle and pick up a 17 Hornet.

Sounds like a difficult proposition.
I would take the loss and sell off the 17 WSM.
Then get a CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Hornet.
You'll be way ahead with that rig and enjoy owning a Micro Mauser action.

Sounds like a difficult proposition.
I would take the loss and sell off the 17 WSM.
Then get a CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Hornet.
You'll be way ahead with that rig and enjoy owning a Micro Mauser action.

That thought keeps running through my head. Need to sell some of the other things I have in the classifieds first, however!

I sold off my 17s and just went all 223/556.
I don't want to reload 17 as 223 is bad enough with my fumble fingers.
But I think you're on the right track as I wasn't real sure the wsm was going to survive.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top