JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The thread Made a PVC Target Stand today. is right up the alley of what my next project was going to be...

I have been thinking about making a brass catcher out of PVC, and some netting. But I have also thought about just using some small stock wood (I am pretty handy with wood). Anyone have good ideas for brass catcher, that would sit on top of the bench when shooting one of those evil semi-autos. Something that would be collapsible and easily transported.

And if your just going to be sitting at a table or standing in one spot .
And have room just put a tarp down on the ground where the brass is landing .the you just pick up the tarp fold it in half dump the brass in a bucket

Unless what you are shooting puts spent shell casing in a (lets say) 2 square foot area, you are looking at a fairly large brass catcher that sets on the ground. A fairly large brass catcher that sets on the ground is going to big, heavy and NOT easily broken down and transported if it is made of wood. PVC would be the way to go in my mind.

Just my $0.02.

I always liked this one ("diy brass catcher" image search)

upload_2018-4-30_14-40-15.jpeg

I use brass catchers frequently on my AR's. They are very cheep to buy and work fine. attach with a simple Velcro belt that is adjustable, even fits my SCAR. I think they were something like 6.00 each.

Maybe I should clarify...
I shoot at a range with permanent benches. And brass flies on the guy to the right of every station. Some people use the caldwell catchers that hook to an ar, but I want something that sits on the table, and has a net that is vertical and would catch brass from any rifle that is shot. I don't want it to be attached to (or attachable to) my ar, because I want to leave it in place when my son goes to shoot the 10/22.

A hunk of 2x10 a drill, and an old tent should get you a pretty slick set up that can break down to the size of the wood. Attach it to a bucket via a small funnel made out of left over tent material and you got a great way to police your brass!

Our range uses a 'box' made from 1/2" pvc and has netting on 5 of the six sides.

It is and does exactly what your looking for.

Set it to the right side of the bench and it will save everyone from being bombarded by brass;)

Don't glue the thing together if you want it collapsible.

I don't have a pic but it's stupid basic and works really well.

Edit: it may be 3/4" pvc

I just carry a portable 6' by 6' patch of tall grass. They all end up there anyway.

However, maybe cruise your local dollar store. They may have some sort of kid's toy or other netting that would work.

That Caldwell's one is similar to what I was thinking. Thanks! I will have to just design it out of wood or PVC. I knew I had seen something like it but couldn't recall what it was.

The thread Made a PVC Target Stand today. is right up the alley of what my next project was going to be...

I have been thinking about making a brass catcher out of PVC, and some netting. But I have also thought about just using some small stock wood (I am pretty handy with wood). Anyone have good ideas for brass catcher, that would sit on top of the bench when shooting one of those evil semi-autos. Something that would be collapsible and easily transported.

When I still had a Mini it was able to toss brass a couple stations away from me. When I used to shoot at a place where there was a bench I made a deal about 3' square out of tubing and a wood bottom. It would C-clamp to the bench. The netting was something Wife picked up for me at a fabric store. stuff was almost like the netting in the commercial catchers but it was I am sure made for something else. Stuff was real cheap and easy to work with. Just used some safety pins to attach it to the frame I made. That way the brass hit it and dropped on the bench or ground where we were shooting instead of raining down on the angry people next to me :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top