JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been reloading HK-91 brass for decades. I've not had any particular problems with them, even before I put the ejection port buffer on to lessen the body dings. It's funny to look at them and see 3 or 4 sets of flute marks, older ones more 'faded' than the latest ones. I use a full length, small-based die. The only thing I might seen is neck cracks showing up a little sooner than those fired in my bolt gun.

elsie

There are a few things I should add about this rifle and it's design.

1. It is a filthy pig. Carbon buildup from the blowback design will coat the bolt and carrier.
2. The rifle actually fires two projectiles when you pull the trigger...the bullet, and also the empty case about 30 feet to the right.
3. It weighs over 9 pounds empty.
4. It's reputation for having harsh recoil is overstated.

Before I purchased the rifle I read numerous accounts online about this platform having unpleasant recoil. I took those accounts seriously enough that I put myself on a waiting list for a enhanced recoil buffer from Parabellum Combat Systems. I also purchased a rubber recoil pad made for a HK--21E light machine gun and swapped it out for the stock polymer pad. The HK-21 pad had nearly twice the surface area of the original pad and fit the stock nicely. Off to the range I went.

When I pulled the trigger on the first round I fired from the rifle I braced myself for the impending bruised shoulder that so many had reported.......boom!.......after the report from the shot faded it quickly began to dawn on me that I had been had by the Internet. The recoil was not only mild, it was pleasant.

images-12.jpg
2017-01-15-16-05-49-1140025872-1.jpg

Range report = targets, group size, distances? Pictures...:eek:

And if you like the PTR then you will really like the FN-FAL!:)

Once I mount optics to it I'll update that info. So far my best group at 100 yards has been a little over 3" with the irons using factory Federal. At 200 yards I can hit the 6" steel plate all day long with the ammo I've tried so far. I've never used irons all that much so I'm probably not doing the rifle much justice.

E

Love my PTR 91, got a very good compensator, PRS stock, Harris bipod. The recoil before the compensator was meaningful but now very pleasant to shoot. Brass though I haven't the courage to reload. Flutes are one thing but the dents are something else. Enjoy your toy, I know I do. Photo on 3-4-17 at 5.57 PM.jpg Photo on 3-4-17 at 5.58 PM #2.jpg Photo on 3-4-17 at 5.57 PM #2.jpg

I saw a comment on another board that said, "this rifle throws brass like a monkey flings poo"

Not really. The rifle is much more accurate than the monkey. Until I put the buffer on mine, I could walk out to the pile that was about 10 yards forward and to the right and find all my brass in one foot circle. That was handy.

elsie

Not really. The rifle is much more accurate than the monkey. Until I put the buffer on mine, I could walk out to the pile that was about 10 yards forward and to the right and find all my brass in one foot circle. That was handy.

elsie

So, by "not really" you mean, yes, exactly this.

I've always lusted after a PSG-1, (And by always I mean for the last 30 years). I think in today's world you could build an AR in .308 that would shoot just as good if not better for less than a quarter of what a real one cost when you could get one

That is the worst part, The powers that be decided you and I couldn't have something and so they took it away. At least you and I can build a reasonable replica using any number of authentic parts and Kits to build a very close copy. I have always wanted a PSG-1 as well, maybe it's time to get a de milled kit and a flat and start building:)

That is the worst part, The powers that be decided you and I couldn't have something and so they took it away. At least you and I can build a reasonable replica using any number of authentic parts and Kits to build a very close copy. I have always wanted a PSG-1 as well, maybe it's time to get a de milled kit and a flat and start building:)

Good luck, I have two CETME parts kits and have been on the lookout for barrels for months

I have a Century Stainless CETME I got many moons ago, Always thought a rebarrel and conversion would be a great start.( This was/is my plan) I did manage to find an original for arm for a PSG and the other furniture can be had still. I do have a barrel guy that can make any thing, Might give him a call and see how much he would charge to twist one up.
I got to shoot an Real PSG-1 when I was in Germany, They had some serious mojo built into them, I bet it would take a pretty awesome hand built AR to match that! But it would still be less then the asking price of a USED PSG.

I've seen some nastily form-fluted brass in the past... please let us know how that project goes!! :s0155:

So far.....so good. This is mixed range brass so I had to swage out some of the primer pockets and trim them up but otherwise they are ready for powder and projectiles. I did run these through a small base sizer.

20170305_123158.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads