JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In sports we have golfers and football players. Some people get the adrenaline they crave from Golf. Others need a more risky sport like football to satisfy their adrenaline desires.

A player doesn't need a reason to play either sport. Sometimes they just play it for fun.

Many of my firearm projects, ideas, etc, may seem dangerous to some. To others they may not. I respect those who prefer to play golf as well as those who prefer to play football. We all have different desires in life. Mine is to have fun. Occasionally that involves walking on the wild side. I have made it to 51 years of age without any broken bones. I expect I will survive for a good long while.

My suggestion for those who don't have much positive to say is, save your negative waves for the Authoritarians and Gun Grabbers. You are wasting them on me.

Safety is an important concern....to be blunt some ( much ) of what you are doing in regards to your experimenting is borderline dangerous.
That could be the reason for the "negative waves"....I know it is in my case at any rate.

You make mention that you have made it to 51 years without broken bones...
All that really means is that it ain't happened.....yet.

If the above is wasted on you...so be it...
I hope that you have a will and good life insurance.
Andy

So an American Football player shouldn't listen to advice to wear a helmet because he hasn't broken his neck yet? Awesome.
Well I "hope" that was not what the OP was trying to say. I have to "think" what was meant was a lot of people (like me) are not willing to try some things others love. Like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane for one :D
Much as I love flying in one, never have wanted to jump out of one that was able to land. Now of course nothing wrong with those who enjoy this.
When younger I used to LOVE SCUBA diving. The person who taught me never went to school for it. Back when he learned his brother and he bought a book and gear. Used to be they never even asked to see your card to fill tanks. Now we were SUPER conservative with what we were doing but, still looking back not something I would do again that way or recommend it.

Something to consider when contemplating an action is....

There are many folks folks who will say :
"Cool....go for it."
They are the ones not doing said action...so they have no risk here.

Other folks might say :
"Hey wait ...that ain't safe "
Or..."Don't do that."

When more that a few people are urging you to stop...or at least re-think what you are doing....
That is a good sign that you should do so.

Again for me...

The OP's experiments / modifications or what have you ain't to my liking or interest...So what.

However , again I must point out that many of those same things are unsafe...which may be of no interest to him....
But could be of interest to folks who care about him.
Andy

Last Edited:
When you put everything, from every harebrained idea to personal emotional and psychological issues that you are dealing with, out there to strangers on the internet from all backgrounds and walks of life, you are by nature exposing yourself to the whole spectrum of responses. Some will be supportive, some will be critical and everything in between. It is what it is as they say.

So an American Football player shouldn't listen to advice to wear a helmet because he hasn't broken his neck yet? Awesome.
You are misunderstanding. I take precautions, wear safety gear, etc as do football players. No matter how many precautions they take or how much safety gear they wear it is still more risky than playing golf.

Cuz taking risks with guns makes you a cool guy. Got it.

And we all know how you feel about the comments regarding your "projects". They will continue. This is the internet. Welcome.

When you put everything, from every harebrained idea to personal emotional and psychological issues that you are dealing with, out there to strangers on the internet from all backgrounds and walks of life, you are by nature exposing yourself to the whole spectrum of responses. Some will be supportive, some will be critical and everything in between. It is what it is as they say.
Thank you for demonstrating the way to critique somebody in a less than excellent manner. @Andy54Hawken has safety concerns about some of my projects but if you read his post he shares those concerns in a most excellent manner. I am fine with criticism but a small group here could work on the delivery of that criticism. I am happy to continue being the proverbial punching bag if that is what some of you need to feel better about yourselves. That will be another way for me to contribute to the forum. The problem I have is that it likely prevents others from sharing their ideas for fear of attracting the same wrath. I have thick skin and will continue to share my "harebrained" ideas. Others may not feel as welcome to do so. I am working on being better about following Rule #1 myself and I would welcome others to join me in that effort.

Thank you for demonstrating the way to critique somebody in a less than excellent manner. @Andy54Hawken has safety concerns about some of my projects but if you read his post he shares those concerns in a most excellent manner. I am fine with criticism but a small group here could work on the delivery of that criticism. I am happy to continue being the proverbial punching bag if that is what some of you need to feel better about yourselves. That will be another way for me to contribute to the forum. The problem I have is that it likely prevents others from sharing their ideas for fear of attracting the same wrath. I have thick skin and will continue to share my "harebrained" ideas. Others may not feel as welcome to do so. I am working on being better about following Rule #1 myself and I would welcome others to join me in that effort.
I really hope nobody else shares their unsafe ideas here at NWFA.

And you got your own section to post away in, so use it and quit complaining. Again, it's the internet. If you can't take the comments from ALL sides, maybe stop posting ALL your thoughts?

I really hope nobody else shares their unsafe ideas here at NWFA.

And you got your own section to post away in, so use it and quit complaining. Again, it's the internet. If you can't take the comments from ALL sides, maybe stop posting ALL your thoughts?
Criticism is great, sometimes it helps you see things in a different perspective. Other times it's just malicious.

Kentucky ballistics was using safety gear when that .50 nearly killed him. You're literally containing 30-60k psi or attempting to, in a small steel tube and the consequences of failing to do so can be disfiguring or even lethal. It is not "you" people are criticizing, it is your ideas that border on stupidity at times. You've been successful so far. You will not continue to enjoy that same success forever at the rate your ideas are increasing in absurdity and danger. It wouldn't surprise me if down the line you homemaker a pipe bomb bullpup, complete with fuse, and try to shoulder fire it

Everyone has incomplete thoughts and ideas that may or may not turn out to be good, bad, stupid, safe, unsafe, harebrained etc about all types of things. Not just firearms. I try to wait until they are a little more mature before I share them with others. When you share them at their infancy, and argue against valid criticism, you will get some negativity.

What I don't appreciate is the comments towards those of us that put safety first. Like somehow we are all giant pussies because we don't think homemade shoulder fired fuse lit pipe bombs are a good way to spend our time.

Just because you can hot glue and duct tape some parts together doesn't make you some badazz tough guy adrenaline junkie. Sorry, but taking all those risks doesn't make any of us think you are the next John Wick.

People take risk with all sorts of activities, behaviors, etc. It's about enjoying life as you see fit.
I get this and there are activities I engage in, including some recently, that many would consider "risky". I, obviously, believe that precautions taken are sufficient, or I would not be doing so.

But there is a fine line between calculated risk-taking and engaging in activities with a high potential for material loss, injury, or both. The thread concerning clearing a barrel obstruction via smokeless gun powder is, in my humble opinion, irresponsible. That isn't an attack on your character, but rather a safety concern, not the least of which because of the legions of newly-minted gun owners out there.

But, naturally, to each their own.

I get this and there are activities I engage in, including some recently, that many would consider "risky". I, obviously, believe that precautions taken are sufficient, or I would not be doing so.

But there is a fine line between calculated risk-taking and engaging in activities with a high potential for material loss, injury, or both. The thread concerning clearing a barrel obstruction via smokeless gun powder is, in my humble opinion, irresponsible. That isn't an attack on your character, but rather a safety concern, not the least of which because of the legions of newly-minted gun owners out there.

But, naturally, to each their own.
I am still learning and I often post ideas on here to get feedback on whether they are viable, insanely dangerous, etc. Hatchers notebook had mentioned clearing obstructions in this way, Brandon Lee was killed by an obstruction accidentally cleared this way, golf balls and soda cans are launched this way. It would be more beneficial to me if I could learn the science behind why it is dangerous rather than reading a bunch of insults.

A bullet in a loaded cartridge is only slightly different than a bomb. A bomb does not have a pressure escape, and completely ruptures spewing shrapnel everywhere.

A loaded cartridge has a pressure escape, this propelling a bullet out the barrel at a high velocity. A bullet that is not propelled down the barrel is a bomb. Firing anything into a squib will likely yield catastrophic injuries.

I have broken numerous bones, and I also have three dental implants from doing a 360 on skis. I can ski backwards faster and more in control than most can ski forwards. I will vehemently argue that me doing a 360 on skis is safer than some of the things that you would like to try/plan on trying.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews