JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm super noob when it comes to rifles. I do have a basic AR-15 rifle with 16 inch barrel and CZ Scorpion. I like shorter barrel just because weight distribution seems easier to hold steady.
ideally, I'd get a SBR AR-15 but effing SBR laws So I thought maybe I should just get AR-15 pistol. When I saw linked deal from PSA, it seemed like cheap way to try this type of firearm. Obviously, this isnt some premium thing. Anyone think this isn't worth it and I should just get better one?

It should work fine. The "thing" with "better" is what do you want it for and what are your expectations? One nice thing about AR's is anyone can work on them. If you get this one and later decide you want to improve it? Super simple to do at home.
One thing I would mention is have you ever shot one? Damn things are amazingly loud in .556.
That one does look "odd" in that it looks like its an SBR not a pistol. You can so far have an AR pistol with a brace. That sure looks like they put a stock on it which if they did, would as far as I know make it an SBR.
Edit: Went back and read the description and said it does come with a stabilizing brace not a stock. Maybe the picture was just poorly done.

It should work fine. The "thing" with "better" is what do you want it for and what are your expectations? One nice thing about AR's is anyone can work on them.
I don't really have any expectations. just part of learning process for me. i find CZ Scorpion lot easier to shoot than regular AR rifle. But there's lot more diff than just barrel length. So I wanted to get something more similar to AR rifle with shorter barrel to compare.

That one does look "odd" in that it looks like its an SBR not a pistol. That sure looks like they put a stock on it which if they did, would as far as I know make it an SBR.
Edit: Went back and read the description and said it does come with a stabilizing brace not a stock. Maybe the picture was just poorly done.
Good catch, but note the listing also says

All NFA Rules Apply.

And under new ATF rules last week, (crazy confusing fouled up - Worksheet 4999), it says a stabilizing brace without an elastic band to secure to forearm it is an SBR. "Cuff-type" design with strap REMOVED = 4 points (SBR).

With no arm brace and just the buffer tube, it would presumably be an AR Pistol if otherwise meeting the Length of Pull and Overall Length AFT requirements. PSA makes pretty decent affordable guns.

Good catch, but note the listing also says

All NFA Rules Apply.

And under new ATF rules last week, (crazy confusing fouled up - Worksheet 4999), it says a stabilizing brace without an elastic band to secure to forearm it is an SBR. "Cuff-type" design with strap REMOVED = 4 points (SBR).

With no arm brace and just the buffer tube, it would presumably be an AR Pistol if otherwise meeting the Length of Pull and Overall Length AFT requirements. PSA makes pretty decent affordable guns.
Yep! I have said for a couple years that the braces will be taken. Too many gun owners just don't care since they don't own one or want one. Sad and I do enjoy hell out of mine but, when they say no more will just take it off and toss.
I now looked up that model of brace (which is what I should have done at first :D) and that is what it looks like. Made with no strap. It is another example of someone using the brace to get around the rules :s0092:. Also noticed now in the questions and answers PSA is mentioning the law may change on these. Pretty sure they will. I have played with one of mine a little after watching a great video. Guy was showing how to use a sling and the buffer tube to get really good accuracy with one of these. Doing it on an AR9 pistol it was nothing like the nice brace for ease but, with some practice I can soon get real good with it this way. Burned up a lot of ammo trying to get the hang of it but, hey that was fun anyway. :D

I don't really have any expectations. just part of learning process for me. i find CZ Scorpion lot easier to shoot than regular AR rifle. But there's lot more diff than just barrel length. So I wanted to get something more similar to AR rifle with shorter barrel to compare.
It should be fine then. They have a great reputation for making stuff that works. Plus once you get an AR they are so damn easy to work with. If you later want some better parts its super simple to upgrade.

If the AR you have now has a Govt profile barrel going to a pencil barrel will make a difference in how it handles.

I went with a Faxon Gunner profile on my PSA and it made quite a difference, not so front heavy now.
I'll find out this weekend if it was worth it.

Just to reiterate that PSA low prices doesn't mean cheap parts.

If you don't believe me, here is an article from someone

Glad to see prices at PSA coming back down. $500 for a complete pistol is a great price. I prefer PSA's nitride stuff myself. Recently bought a plane Jane 11.5 nitride upper for another SBR build.

One thing I would mention is have you ever shot one? Damn things are amazingly loud in .556.
+1 on this.
I shot a friends PSA 11.5in Ar pistol and did not enjoy it. I found it to be very unpleasant and borderline painful for my ears with every trigger pull even while using electronic earpro.
That said, the build/finish quality of the PSA AR pistol was excellent and I would recommend PSA. The size was pretty sweet as well.
But.... I don't like feeling like my eardrums just got hit by a sonic hammer every shot. YMMV.

is there an inherent reason for this? Shorter barrel? Does stock versus brace make any diff with respect to sound?
No its the short tube. First time I saw one of these it was people next to me shooting one. I thought they had some kind of hand cannon magnum. Then I saw the brass so looked to see why it was so damn loud. It was the short tube. If I was going to use one of these for home use I would keep a set of electronic muffs with it.

Well... I did not double up on ear pro during that range session(ear plugs and electronic earmuffs). It is my understanding that muzzle breaks and barrel length can make a difference in decibels. The 7.5" barrel ARs are deafening. 5.56 is a very fast round, the longer the barrel, the more time the gunpowder has to burn and use the resulting energy. There are some excellent YT videos on the topic.
If you have a friend with a AR pistol, ask them to let you try it out. You may really enjoy it.

is there an inherent reason for this? Shorter barrel? Does stock versus brace make any diff with respect to sound?
Pressure and supersonic gases.

At the 6" mark within any 223/556 barrel the pressure behind the bullet is much greater than at say 18" through a 20" barrel. So if the pressure curve is higher at the beginning, and there isn't any more barrel left, that higher pressure gas leaves the barrel at hits atmosphere sooner than of in a longer barrel where the pressure has started to drop as the bullet travels further down the barrel. More pressure leaving at an earlier time means more concussion. As well as the fact that short barrels don't completely burn all of the powder, so shorter barrels also tend to have more flash.

Stock or brace has nothing to do with report.

I have a PSA AR-15 Pistol (10.5") and AR-9 Pistol Both are decent quality as far as function goes. I have many AR's with 'high Dollar' components that are nicer and incrementally better, but I trust my PSA's

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top