JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm trying out some flat points and can't get them to pass the plunk test in my 1911.i colored a round with a sharpie and put it in the barrel it seems it's rubbing on the bullet itself and not the case.my books give a minimum oal of 1.200 if I take it down to 1.1900 it will fall in and out but I don't really want to chance over pressuring the round.could it just be my 1911 doesn't like those type of bullets.i also tried it with and without the crimp.going to try it in my buddies Jericho 45 tomorrow and see what happens.just wondering if anyone else has any ideas what I could try.

I don't think .010" is going to make a huge pressure difference.

If you're that worried, download it by 0.5 GR and slowly go up from there.

Without knowing what bullet/powder/etc I can't really address the pressure concerns, however unless you're pushing a +P load, I'm doubtful you will have many issues with it. You're doing it the right way, but sometimes you never know what will happen until you pull the trigger.

I ran years of 45 Truncated cone aka flat points ..... from Western Nevada bullet aka X treme bullet. Until I started shooting 38super.

You will be fine with the plunk test .
I used 231 and ran major power factor .... if I recall 225gr flat point..

My 1st race gun seemed to love that bullet, and the load chronographed at matches in NV. S.F. CO. And OR .
(Sea level to 5500 ft) just fine.

Good luck!

Without knowing what bullet/powder/etc I can't really address the pressure concerns, however unless you're pushing a +P load, I'm doubtful you will have many issues with it. You're doing it the right way, but sometimes you never know what will happen until you pull the trigger.

^^^ I think this guy knows a thing or four.

You probably just have a type/brand of bullet with a taller bearing surface. I know this is a rifle bullet but it still has all the parts we're talking about....
75610d1391816364-bullet-seating-tolerances-bulletpartsyp0.gif

Last Edited:
my books give a minimum oal of 1.200

Also, my books don't give a minimum OAL for a completed round. The book gives you what THEY used with THEIR completed round. Minimum length is given for sized, processed, brass before loading.

You already said what book you use in the past but I don't remember now. I'm using Speer 14 and Lyman 49 and they both just give OAL. No max/min COAL, that's "Cartridge Over All Length"

Slower/faster powder will have an affect on pressure, so it matter that you include those tidbits of info when asking queastions.

So I'm trying out some flat points and can't get them to pass the plunk test in my 1911.i colored a round with a sharpie and put it in the barrel it seems it's rubbing on the bullet itself and not the case.my books give a minimum oal of 1.200 if I take it down to 1.1900 it will fall in and out but I don't really want to chance over pressuring the round.could it just be my 1911 doesn't like those type of bullets.i also tried it with and without the crimp.going to try it in my buddies Jericho 45 tomorrow and see what happens.just wondering if anyone else has any ideas what I could try.
Is there a step on the bullet, from the 451/452 dia. to where the ogive starts
Post some pics...
Stepped Bullet
Step.jpg
No Step
NoStep.jpg
Compare the 2 bullets in the center of each pic, hard to see the difference but the No Step bullet type will need to be seated deeper.
:D

Last Edited:
When going off load data from the books, unless it's the exact same set of components it's wise to expect a different result (how much difference is really a matter of contention). However it's also a matter of how close the components are to one another. A .45-RNFP may be cast, swaged (plated) or jacketed, each one is going to give you a different set of results. Over all, jacketed data is going to give you the highest chamber pressure, With Plated giving the lowest. This isn't always a good thing because if chamber pressure isn't high enough, you can get really erratic burning of the powder which leads to lots of fouling, and destroys accuracy.

Over-all 5.0 of universal is probably an ok load. I generally find universal to be one of the slowest of the fast flake-type powders, it has good ignition characteristics, but doesn't burn as quickly as say clays or titegroup. You will probably get more fouling than you would with either of those two powders.

Without knowing the type of bullet (cast, jacketed, etc) you're middling of the cast bullet data, and low for the jacketed bullet data. What you should probably do just for verification is measure the diameter of your bullets (I'm guessing they were cast) and make sure they're <~.452, this may be the source of your problem as far as not chambering. You could be using bullets originally designed for .45 Colt (do they have a crimp groove?) which can further complicate your reloads. The nominal OAL of a .45ACP is 1.25" I usually load as close to that as I can, but I've loaded as short as 1.125 as a production load for a customer.

In Col. E.H. Harrisons book on cast bullets, there is an article on loading the .45 ACP, using roll and taper crimp, and on some cast bullets (like the HG #68,) it is mentioned that when using a roll crimp it is sometimes necessary to allow the bullet OD to lightly jam into the rifling, to maintain headspace, as with using a roll crimp the case mouth can not headspace like a taper crimp does. He states about .015" to .020" of lead sticking out of the case mouth past the crimp.
I doubt those would pass the plunk test also.
In the OP's case, I think I'd take the others advice and seat them a tad deeper.

Forget the COL in a manual. First, find the COL that feeds and chambers in your gun(s) after you get the "plunk" test down by making a couple of inert dummy rounds and loading them in the magazine and cycling them into the gun. Then, do what you always do--start at the start load and work UP. You might check several manuals like I do and start with the lowest start load.
Unless your COL is about 0.050" shorter than the manual, you are fine.
Remember, pressure is determined by the gun's chamber, the lot number of the powder, the exact bullet used, the COL, and, to a lesser extent, the cases and primers used. Since no manuals use the same mix of components as another, no two manuals can agree. The, no manual has your gun or your mix of components.
Thus, everything in a manual is a guideline--and that particularly applies to the COL, which is just the COL they used for testing and is often shorter than most reloaders would ever use. However, I have had several bullets that required quite short COLs in particular guns and I never had any issue working up the load from the START load.

I have some loaded 230 grain cast lead .45 cal flat point bullets (actually made for .45 LC cartridges) loaded into .45 ACP cases. To tell the truth....I wouldn't do it again. I'd say, that my experiment was a FAILURE.

Next time....If I want a 230 grain bullet in my .45 ACP ammo....I'd stick with a standard RN style of bullet.

BTW....the 200 grain SWC (H&G 68) style of bullet, does an excellent job of feeding in my pistols (and it's good for target ammo too).

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads