JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Next time you're having a moaning moment about the cost of factory ammunition, remember that your buddies over here have it FAR worse than you could even begin to imagine....

This stuff.....

72037_sm.jpg

.45-70 Govt with a fancy pointy tip, costs you almost $28 for a box of twenty. Costy, but not totally bananas.

The same stuff here, costs $86.40.

Enjoy your CHEAP ammunition.

tac

I'm waiting for a RFD [ the UK's FFL] to resplone. All I can tell you is that stuff coming into the country is assessed for basic value + shipping insurance - the whole lot added up, and 20% sales tax charged on the total.

However, I've NEVER seen such a markup as that on ANY US-made ammunition before. That is just obscene.

The usual rate is pounds for dollars......

And right now the pound is worth $1.44.

tac

The only think that comes close is when yahoos here were selling box of 22lr for 60.00 and getting it.

Man that so heavy lifting on those prices ggggeeeeees

Reloading?

Well, I've been reloading since 1968. Most of us do, and, of course, ALL the TR/F-TR and benchresters reload. If I didn't reload I'd have to take up some other sport, as I reload ten different loads, and cast for my m/ls and .45-70 Govt.

The point is that he'd just bought this rifle, and there was nothing else in store to enable him to shoot the thing - you know how it is.

Reloading is THE second most popular shooting-related pastime here, since many of us shoot stuff that's hard to find, or just impossible, like Snider, Argie Mauser, older Schmidt-Rubins, Mauser Model 71/84 and most every obsolete military calibre you can shake a stick at.

Lake City .50cal is priced at around £3.50 [$5] a shot, but the sales are very small due to the very few people who actually shoot the stuff - around 500, I think, in all of UK in the UK .50cal Shooters Assoc. One guy of my acquaintance, who showed you the way to go home last year at the international .50cal championships, shoots around 1700 - 1800 a year of the very highest quality reloads imaginable - each shot costs him £17.00 [$24.50] - he also has five .50cal rifles, as well.

Of course we get ammunition from neighbouring countries - everything you can think of - the yUK is not the hick backwater you imagine and has a vast selection of everything you can think of from EVERY ammunition maker on earth, European and US. It's just that the price of this stuff we're talking about is just so darn out of this world as to be bordering on the obscene.

The most popular brand for the older stuff is, of course, Prvi Partizan, who make analogs of most every hard-to-find cartridge you can think of. Whinemeal, here in yUK, we have the big game cartridges catered for by Kynoch, although, as you can imagine the big African calibres don't come cheap. I guess you've heard of Eley? .22cal stuff used by the best shooters in the world for more years than I can recall - it's and English company, and always has been. I don't shoot shotgun of any kind, so you'll have to look up prices for that stuff, but there is a big interest in practical shotgun here, and blasting off a couple of hundred slugs in a match must be reasonably priced, else folks wouldn't do it. Clay pigeon/trap/DTL is HUGE here, and produces world champions in all classes from the age of 12 on up. My local dealer sells around 4 million cartridges a year, and he is just scratching the surface. Our own personal holdings for 12g are limited, though, to 26,000 cartridges at a time.

BTW, after the English executed their king in 1649, they tried a republic for a while. Back then it didn't work.

tac

Last Edited:
Here ya go - don't sat I'm not helpish - your very own Youtube movie on ONE company advertisement in the latest issue of the monthly shooting magazine - GunMart [one of about twenty or more] -

Enjoy!

tac

Your guess, Sir, is a bad one.

Even though I'm a peon, I'd be quite within my remit to own a .50cal BMG rifle here in UK, except that it would have to be a manually-operated version - there are no centre-fire rifles here that are also semi-auto. Pages 1 and 2 of my movie show examples of different brands, and other include Desert Tech's HTI [fellow club member Ewan Campbell is the UK Desert Tech importer] Barratt, MacMillan, DRS and Fortmeier of GErmany. Heck, we even MAKE them here - ever heard of Accuracy International?

The problem here in yUK is not necessarily ownership, but where to shoot it. We have only six or seven ranges in the country that are cleared for .50cal, although two of them are also cleared for up to 40mm as well.

It may have been overlooked, Sir, that one of the 'peons' from UK was a last year's 50cal international meet champion in Raton, but of course, that must be impossible since we are only peons, and can't have a .50cal rifle...a reminder, perhaps, that the second-largest .50cal association in the world is the UK .50cal Shooters Association with almost 500 members.

Less snotty remarks about 'peons' would be greatly appreciated. The next time you see a US citizen being insulted on this site by me will be the first time it has ever happened. Are we good with that?

tac

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews