JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, looking for a good predator hunting rifle. I'm set on a 22-250 caliber. I'm not trying to break the bank but want something that will serve me well. I have a vortex 4-14 scope sitting in the safe waiting on a rifle. I can't seem to find I good rifle that meets my needs. I'm looking for accurate, easy to to carry and dependable. As with anything money is always a factor but nothing to terrible. (500-700 range). Any ideas what to look for? I've looked at almost every thing local. (Tikka, weatherby, savage,Remington, Winchester, ext). Main goal is to kill coyote and any type of varmint from 50yds to 300yds.

So you've looked at everything local, what the problem with what you've found?

My mind goes the the Ruger American

Kind of at the bottom of you budget, but comes with a scope rail, threaded 1:10 twist barrel and the one I have shot (.308) verison had a surprisingly good trigger and was very accurate.

One of the issues I'm finding (I live in the Eugene area) is that I can't even find a 22-250 in stock and I'll have to order it, no big deal just a pain.

I've looked at the Ruger American and honestly I hate the stock on it. And that's just me.

One of the issues I'm finding (I live in the Eugene area) is that I can't even find a 22-250 in stock and I'll have to order it, no big deal just a pain.

I've looked at the Ruger American and honestly I hate the stock on it. And that's just me.

No worries, the American isn't for everyone, just figured I'd throw it out there. For the range you're talking the .223 would work just fine and it's easier to find. I had a .22-250 and loved it great shooting, high speed cartridge, I just didn't like the 1:14 twist. So I re-barreled the rifle to 7mm-08 and sold off all my .22-250 stuff.

Don't get me wrong .223 is an awesome round I just prefer 22-250 in a bolt rifle. I was planning on a .223 I would build it in an ar platform. I believe savage has a 1:12 twist in some of there predator series rifles.

I've look at the vanguard s2, tikkia t3, savage 11 th xp, Remington 700, Tc venture. I like most all of them I guess I'm looking for ppl who have used something in this caliber and seeing how it worked for them and what they recommend to look at.

I've got the TC Dimension in 22/250 and also have the 243 barrel. Has the Diamondback 4 x16 on it. Great gun. I've only shot the 22/250 to 240 yrds but it was a tack driver till the wind kicked up.

I wpuld go with the savage 11 then drop the barreled action into a boyds laminate or walnut stock with as many bells and whistles as you like. Once you have it broke in I would have it glass bedded. You will end up with a sub .75MOA rifle. And very possibly even better. For very little money.

Last Edited:
Back in the middle of the craze, I received tons of brass, a complete die set and 8 boxes of 22-250 ammo. I asked 3 people I knew who owned 22-250's. Each one said "I wouldn't buy another one." I have a buddy in Wharton, TX who uses his 5.56 for every kind of varmint except pigs. He uses a bigger caliber for them.

I've used the 700 in 22-250 quite a bit and it worked great. I would just choose whatever rifle balances best for you. To me, the weatherby vanguard feels azz heavy. I'd slum a salvage in a heartbeat.

I prefer the 22-250 in a bolt gun as well because its a standard bolt face and magazine. More rebarrell options an I've had issues getting bolt action 223s to feed properly when the bolt is run fast.

That said, the 243 and 70gr bullets have become my huckleberry.

I was in your same situation a few years back. I was looking for something that had great potential for accuracy out of the box and improve upon that by developing a load for it. I went with the Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA 22-250. I paid $70 more when compared to similar rifles, but that was well spent. 22" barrel with guaranteed accuracy, adjustable trigger, ..... More: http://www.guns.com/reviews/weatherby-vanguard-sub-moa-varmint/ It has lived up all of my expectations. Yes, it weighs a little more, but I don't mind. I do not have anything against any other brand or caliber and would not be worried about the long shots. I find myself more worried about getting run over by a dog on his way into my mouth call.

Thanks for the replies guys! Like I said I'm set as 22-250 as my bolt gun. It has the best all around for what I'm doing.

I have looked hard at the weatherbys and I'm with the guy above it didn't balance as well as I was hoping. Don't get me wrong I like the stock but I'm not sold 100% on it.

I'm going to run into Cablelas and dicks tonight get my hands on whatever I can find. As much as I'm not a big fan of savage there model 10 predator is looking like a gun that may fit my needs. Also check some remmys out and whatever else they have!

Thanks for the replies guys! Like I said I'm set as 22-250 as my bolt gun. It has the best all around for what I'm doing.

I have looked hard at the weatherbys and I'm with the guy above it didn't balance as well as I was hoping. Don't get me wrong I like the stock but I'm not sold 100% on it.

I'm going to run into Cablelas and dicks tonight get my hands on whatever I can find. As much as I'm not a big fan of savage there model 10 predator is looking like a gun that may fit my needs. Also check some remmys out and whatever else they have!

FWIW, what Mark W. has said is 100% true. I have two Savages, well ones a Stevens 200 and enjoy them both a great deal. One is the 7mm-08 I mentioned earlier, it's in a Boyd's stock and is very nice to shoot. The other is a Savage 10T in .308. It's also very nice to shoot, but I've left it in it's factory accustock. It shoot sub-MOA. I also have a Remington 700 .30-06. The only thing I can say is the 700 seems to cycle much smoother then either of the Savage's. It has no affect on how I can operate any of them, the 700 just feels more smooth to me. It isn't an annoyance or a hindrance, just a feel thing. If I was buying another rifle I would have a hard time getting away from Savage, for the most party they are better bang for their buck then some other manufacturers. I just wish they could get their QC in order, it seems they ship more problem guns then other manufacturers. They fix them right away, I just wish it didn't happen. Again, if it were me, and I didn't go Savage, I would look at Tikka's, then maybe Ruger.

The 700 is in my list. The 700s are a fantastic rifle. I grew up shooting Winchester model 70s. I own Remington's one savage and winchesters. All have treated me well! There are just so many models to look at and choose from almost makes it over whelming. It's like a ford Chevy talk every one has what they like lol

List I'm looking at
Remington 700s
Savage predator 10
Tikka t3
Weatherby s2
Tc
Any other ideas?

All of those will work great for you. Especially the top 3. 700s are like a small block v8. You can find parts and goodies for them anywhere. I think Savage gets their twist rates right more so than Remington. I have seen Tikkas shoot great and sometimes the removable magazine is convenient. Just don't lose it.

I have an R700 that took me two years, a new trigger and an HS precision stock to make it shoot right. Very disappointing. SPS Varmint and I would never buy another.

However I have 5 Savages now of different sorts and every one is sub MOA. If you want heavy barrel and shoot from a prepared position, the 12 BVSS is absolutely amazing. I loaded 34.5gr Varget and 52gr AMAX and every single shot is touching. ALL. THE. TIME. But it is heavy 10,5lbs or so.

I cannot recommend Savages highly enough.

Cabelas has a 12FV varmint for $419 but they don't have it in stock. If you can find it, that is a criminal bargain.

BiMart has 11XTs in stock at $479 which is pretty nice, but you get the hunting barrel and you'll want to upgrade the scope. You also need them to get the 22-250 from the warehouse since none seem to have it in stock.

Savage has 26 models in 22-250 right now. I think all are in 12 twist so they are for lighter bullets. If you go to: <broken link removed>
You can see them all.

If you find one you like you can check Cabelas but Buds Gunshop on line usually has great prices but you need a transfer fee...

Have fun regardless of what you get.

Went and played with some tonight, must say the savage is actually a pretty nice rifle. It fit me extremely well. Only thing I'm not sold on is the predator model I like only comes as a package. And it doesn't have the accustock on it. Comes with some nice features large bolt and 1:12 twist. Not a fan of the Nikon scope or the rings so all that would have to be replaced (no big deal I have a better scope).
Weatherby is nice as well, big fan of the stock style but the gun felt heavy and some what awkward to maneuver.
The only Remington's I could find where 26" barrels and made them nose heavy and I could see it being an issue packing around.
Tikka has the amazing action as always but I just can't get over the stock on it.
All in all I forgot how much fun fun shopping is :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top