JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Boyd's does about half the stocks for savage's high end rifles. They make beautiful laminate stocks in a couple color schemes. They are $99 apiece so don't sweat the stock.

I agree on the scope, but you have your scope anyway.

If you want to be really tricky, buy a youth model. The short barrel, and then put on the Boyds stock on that. Now you have an adult pull with a short barrel. Very easy rifle to move around.

By the way, it's very very easy to change a barrel on a savage. All you need is a barrel wrench and vice. About 100 bucks worth of stuff. Then you could put any barrel you want on a savage action, as long as the bold face matches the cartridge. That means anything based on 308, including 22 250 can be re-barreled on your single action.

I don't mine a mid weight barrel, half the time I'll be in a sitting position with a bipod. But at the same time I'll also be packing a Lin ways. Super heavy barrel is out, but I also want something I can reach out and touch if the coyote or varmint won't come in. The savage I looked at last night was a model 11/111 trophy hunter xp predator, 22" barrel, 1:12 twist, DBM, bush camo, large bolt knob. It was setup very well for what I'm looking at. The killer on the stock is how flimsy it feels up front. A simple stock change would fix all that. But I'm into it more money. So I haven't fully decided on what I'm going to do yet. But overall the savage meets my needs, but at the same time it comes with stuff I don't need and I will have to modify it at some point

I am a real partisan for Savage.

However, 22-250 is my new love. I don't get into barrel burner speeds, but its plenty fast and super accurate. When I did my load tests, the bad loads were goodish and the good loads were jaw dropping. At some point though you might consider changing out the barrel as I think all the factory barrels are in the 1-12 or so twist which facilitates the super fast small bullets. I want to go the other way and move up to the 70gr and heavier bullets so I am thinking about a new barrel with a 1-8 barrel. Nice thing about the savages is you can change the barrel on the bench while you're shooting. That easy really.

Whatever you get, enjoy yourself. It is an excellent caliber to reload.

I'm going to eventually hand load for it. I currently don't hand load anything of my own, my dad on the other loads for most all of the stuff we shoot. He said he would be willing to show me the ropes and help me get some loads made up.

I'm not a savage fan, I have a .17hmr of there's and love it! For some reason I haven't been a fan of there larger rifles. After playing with the 11/111 predator model I was quite impressed. The actions feel good the barrels are what I'm looking for. Seems as if they almost have that market figured out.

You're not open to caliber but I'm going to post anyway. You want a new gun but I'm going to post anyway.

Listen up, private, because I'm an old man and you have to humor me, LOL. :)

I bought a new Ruger M77 with a bull barrel in 22-250 in the 70's. It was a tack driver if a little nose heavy. After a few years I got absolutely convinced that in Eastern Oregon at long range the bullets were overly affected by wind. I went through a couple of other guns including a .223.

My varmint gun today is an AR-15 with a 20" barrel and a 5 round mag. If nothing else it has allowed me to get a lot more familiar with that AR.

You do what you want to, but when I had lots of guns I just got less familiar with them. I still have lots of guns but they gather dust. If this is an "occasional" gun you'll never become intimate with it, you'll suck and you'll blame the gun. Think about consolidating guns, and extras are for backup, investment, or just because you want them.

Have no more regular shooting guns of any type than you can count with five fingers, and every time you pick one up it will be an old friend.

Cheers.

You're not open to caliber but I'm going to post anyway. You want a new gun but I'm going to post anyway.

Listen up, private, because I'm an old man and you have to humor me, LOL. :)

I bought a new Ruger M77 with a bull barrel in 22-250 in the 70's. It was a tack driver if a little nose heavy. After a few years I got absolutely convinced that in Eastern Oregon at long range the bullets were overly affected by wind. I went through a couple of other guns including a .223.

My varmint gun today is an AR-15 with a 20" barrel and a 5 round mag. If nothing else it has allowed me to get a lot more familiar with that AR.

You do what you want to, but when I had lots of guns I just got less familiar with them. I still have lots of guns but they gather dust. If this is an "occasional" gun you'll never become intimate with it, you'll suck and you'll blame the gun. Think about consolidating guns, and extras are for backup, investment, or just because you want them.

Have no more regular shooting guns of any type than you can count with five fingers, and every time you pick one up it will be an old friend.

Cheers.
I actually don't have a lot of guns per say.

I have a Remington 30-06 my deer hunting and elk hunting all around gun I shoot it it regularly to stay proficient with it.
I have 2 rim fires .17hmr and 22lr the 22 was a gift from my parents and I plink with it. My 17 I bought to use around the farm shooting nutes and possum bunny a and other small varmints.
I have a model 94 30-30 that was my dads first rifle and my first hunting rifle it sits in the safe due to Sentimental value to me (I can still pick it up and hit every thing i want)
I have 3 shot guns why idk but two of them are for water fowl hunting.
I do have an ar15 I love it but its not what I like for killing coyote with.

The reason I'm looking for another rifle is simply I want a bolt action predator killing rifle. Coyote hunting is something I enjoy. My 06 is a little over kill for it does it work? Heck yes it does! At the same time I want something that I can simply have just for hunting smaller predators with. Most of what I ken has a purpose and I love to to shoot and make sure I'm proficient with something if I'm going to use it.

I agree with you to many dust collectors is something a lot of guys do I've spent 6-7 months talking my self out of buying one but at the end of the day it's what I want. My dad shakes his head at me because the 30-06 will do it all. No opinions are unheard or not valued by me! I thank all of you for taking the time to shed light and opinions on the subject!

I know exactly where you are coming from. I used to use a 7mm Rem Mag for everything from raccoons to elk. I picked up a 22LR for the little stuff and a 22-250 for larger varmints and predators. Honestly, it will become your favorite rifle because you can use it year-round and ammo is cheaper to buy or produce. I bought the same action for my 22-250 as my 7mm for the sake of familiarity (Remington 700). I now have more guns but I could go back to these three rifles and be happy. I rebarrelled to 243 but will likely go back to 22-250 when I'm ready to rebarrel again.

Well guys, Sunday I purchased a savage model 10 predator. Has the accu trigger and accu stock. 24" fluted barrel 1:12 twist. Pretty excited to get the gun. All finished up and sited in. I think the savage fit my application the best and seems to be a very nice gun! Thanks again for all the help! I'll post a pic when it's rigged up with a scope and what not!

Well guys, Sunday I purchased a savage model 10 predator. Has the accu trigger and accu stock. 24" fluted barrel 1:12 twist. Pretty excited to get the gun. All finished up and sited in. I think the savage fit my application the best and seems to be a very nice gun! Thanks again for all the help! I'll post a pic when it's rigged up with a scope and what not!
Congrats, hope it serves you well.

In terms of value (what you pay and what you get) I would ask you to seriously consider the Howa 1500 bolt action rifles or the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .22-250. They are tack-drivers and will not empty a checking account. Best of luck in the field, whatever your choice.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top