JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend recently came into a Pre 64 Winchester model 94 (~1948 by the serial). Does anyone have any recommendations for a gunsmith who specializes in this kind of stuff to go over it, clean it up, as she wants to sell it, but doesn't really know anything about it.

Thanks!

Check out te recommended gunsmiths here. The WIn 94's are pretty straight forward for dismatling and putting back together.
What caliber is it? Is it a saddle rifle?
Pretty sure there would be plenty of interest here if its posted for sale. The Win 94's are a highly desired lever gun especially teh pre 64's.

Is it one of the combined guns or are all the parts still original? The gunsmith will be able to tell you as well.
I know mine is from at least two different guns as was typical of the 40's win 94. Many times in the 60's they made a complete gun from two other damaged ones. Which is when my family member got mine.

You have a great firearm to keep if you want to look at it as an investment. The pre-64 94's have continued to go up in value.

Check out te recommended gunsmiths here. The WIn 94's are pretty straight forward for dismatling and putting back together.
What caliber is it? Is it a saddle rifle?
Pretty sure there would be plenty of interest here if its posted for sale. The Win 94's are a highly desired lever gun especially teh pre 64's.

Is it one of the combined guns or are all the parts still original? The gunsmith will be able to tell you as well.
I know mine is from at least two different guns as was typical of the 40's win 94. Many times in the 60's they made a complete gun from two other damaged ones. Which is when my family member got mine.

You have a great firearm to keep if you want to look at it as an investment. The pre-64 94's have continued to go up in value.
I only saw limited pics, so I don't have full details (the owner knows NOTHING about it at all, not a 2A person), other than a few pics and the serial #

JMHO, but be wary of any "smith" that wants to do more than a wipedown and basic clean up. Older firearms usually lose value when the original finish and character are removed
Good news is that doesn't happen as much as it used to, but still something she should be aware of

unnamed1.jpg unnamed2.jpg unnamed3.jpg unnamed4.jpg unnamed5.jpg

I only saw limited pics, so I don't have full details (the owner knows NOTHING about it at all, not a 2A person), other than a few pics and the serial #
You want this gun. You need this gun. Repeat that five time every hour until you get the money from the auto teller.
Seriously, every gun enthusiast should have a model 94. Preferably in .30-30. Only because .30-30, as far as I know, is the caliber it was designed for. That gun has some pretty serious wear on the finish it looks like. If it's not broke and the bore looks good you can use the wear factor to get a lower price.

LOL, well I may have a Model 94 in .30-.30 already, but not a Pre 64!
Well having two won't hurt. :D When I got mine, manufactured just after WWII started, Dec '41-Jan'42, I didn't want to mess around with any of the other cartridge's they were made in

Sounds like you need a new toy. I'd offer her $800 and walk away slowly.
The finish on the metal looks pretty worn. Can't see for sure but looks like some rust/a gouge? $800.00 seems like a little bit high to me, for this kind of purchase. Quick and easy. Not messing with a consignment thing. I'd think it would take a good while to sell at that price.

Well having two won't hurt. :D When I got mine, manufactured just after WWII started, Dec '41-Jan'42, I didn't want to mess around with any of the other cartridge's they were made in

The finish on the metal looks pretty worn. Can't see for sure but looks like some rust/a gouge? $800.00 seems like a little bit high to me, for this kind of purchase. Quick and easy. Not messing with a consignment thing. I'd think it would take a good while to sell at that price.
Fine, $500 ya cheapskate.