JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a standard profile barreled pre 64 model 70 that I am struggling a bit with. I acquired this rifle in the hopes of making it my second hunting rifle. I put some skinner sights on it, and have just been using it as an ironed sight rig. Before I get frustrated and sell it, I wanted to check in with the group. Given that it is a long action, to get the play I need to get the right eye relief it looks like I have two options. Option 1, get the offset rings, which are butt ugly and I have read interfere with ejection. Option 2, get a one piece picatinny base. Does anyone know if a one-piece base will also interfere with ejection? Any pre 64 guys on here?

here is the tread I started after I re-did it, with pics, and targets. (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/finished-my-pre-64-model-70.274696/#post-2018471)

Last Edited:
Being a long action I can't say for sure. What I will tell you and recently encountered as the pre 64's and finding a pic rail are kinda funny. I have a 1953 Winchester model 70 featherweight in 308 .. When looking at ordering a short action pre 64 pic rail I found out that a post 64 long action rail lines up exactly the same and doesn't effect ejection at all. I will admit I didn't have a lot of play to work with on adjustment however, the eye relief is more than adequate. Now for the time being, I have mounted a one piece quick detach mount as that's what I had. I will change it out once I find some good 34 mm medium rings.

What I'm getting at is your going to have to play around and see what works. I don't think you will have issues with the ejection as much as your play in adjustment if that makes since.

Here is a picture of mine. Works fine no issues but I do want to change out to some good 34 mm rings later.

37A8A423-0541-4FDD-9DCE-7AC4918C26C8.jpeg 9891DE83-78EC-4B99-A258-7F63D97DCB28.jpeg

I've got a vintage Leupold Winchester model 70 one piece base marked "STD 70 A" that's new in box for your rifle, plus a bunch of different rings.
It's yours if you want to try them out.
It says it will fit all model 70's above serial number 66,350, but not including .300 or .375 Magnums

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

I've got a vintage Leupold Winchester model 70 one piece base marked "STD 70 A" that's new in box for your rifle, plus a bunch of different rings.
It's yours if you want to try them out.
It says it will fit all model 70's above serial number 66,350, but not including .300 or .375 Magnums

View attachment 1117678

View attachment 1117685
Glad to see i am not the only person with tackle boxes full of parts. Yeah, if you are wiling to part with the base and some rings, that would be awesome. I will send you a PM.

Many modern scopes have a short tube, making them hard to fit on long actions. A scope often recommended as easy fitting on long actions is the old, long-tube Leupold 4x scope.

Here's a photo, showing about 7 inches to work with.

old-leupold-4x.jpg

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews