JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I are considering moving to Snohomish County like Arlington or everett we are both 26 and what we have found is
that jobs at the county police station pay alot better up there than down here (she works for a police dept currently) plus housing is cheaper and we want property which is very expensive in Oregon the only negative we have found is we will be moving away from family.
I am hoping to hear from people who have lived or live near Snohomish county. Or who have any opinions on the subject matter.

I have no idea what housing costs there? I would guess the "average" home in Snohomish County is in the $350K range, something with a small acreage(like an acre) is going to cost a half a million bucks or so for basic stuff. Its a very pretty area and there is opportunity. I live 40 minutes south of Everett and we looked at homes up that way when be bought 10 years ago.

The farther north you go the cheaper housing will be. I doubt you will find any 5 acre places around Everett for $250K. There is a bare 1/2 acre lot less than a 1/4 mile from me that is $200K

Have you spent much time in the area? There are pockets that are really great and pretty reasonable. One thing I would recommend doing is if you find a place you like spend the day and drive into and out of town from there during weekday rush hour. I had some friends move from Idaho to a place kind of out of the way that seemed ideal, until they figured out that the 20 min drive to town took 2+ hours twice a day.

30 years. Nice place to live.

Best thing to do is to find a rental at a decent price, and live there while you check things out in the area. It's tough finding a property and choosing places to live if you only allow a week or so to house hunt, like some folks do.

No state income tax, sales tax is 8 to 9%, my property taxes running $2800/year on $300k home, gas is $2, electricity 10 cents/KW.

Whatever you do, avoid King County, they are nuts down there, voting in tax after tax.

Born and raised in Everett. Graduated Everett High School. Enlisted out of High School in 84 and came back four years later, met my wife, had kids and bought a house in North Everett. Raised my kids here. I like it.

I've seen this place grow and change alot over the years. I'd say traffic is my biggest gripe but I work the graveyard shift so I avoid most of it.

I grew up in Colorado as a kid and before high school moved to oregon I am just curious about how north Washington compares to nw oregon people wise as well?

I think it's a bit less liberal, but Seattle is near, and it seems to be the People's Republic of Ecotopia at times. It's about 53-47, along general lines. Been a 'Blue State' for 30 years, that's due to Seattle-King County and it's urban yuppie population who think money grows on trees and everyone else in the state exists to serve their lifestyle. Get out of the city limits among folks who aren't coddled from birth in the bosom of high-tech salaries and you'll find a lot of conservatism.

My wife and I are just nervous because its a big move uprooting your life, we like the open farm land and nearby mountains and alot of lakes and rivers

Yeah, it's a big thing, pulling up stakes and moving.

Lots of farms in Skagit County, it's the agricultural center of western Washington, hay, potatoes, tulip and flower bulbs, corn, wheat, dairy, berries. Snohomish County is getting paved over, but it's still pretty agricultural. Also forestry, fishing, shellfish.

The Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest runs from the foothills to the Cascade Crest, you will never be able to explore all the mountains, trails, lakes and streams. Two big National Parks, maybe a half dozen Wilderness Areas, and salt water on the west of it all, with Canada just to the North, you'll find enough to keep you interested if you like the outdoors.

What you need to do is to take a long weekend and visit, pick a place for a hub and see what you can.

Best thing to do is to find a rental at a decent price, and live there while you check things out in the area. It's tough finding a property and choosing places to live if you only allow a week or so to house hunt, like some folks do.
Whatever you do, avoid King County,
Take your time and find the right place. You only get this one chance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top