JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
300 million Apple users at risk of hacks unless Apple pays ransom
By Mark Jones, Komando.com
The advent of the smartphone has made it possible to conduct the business of life on the go. With these handy gadgets, we can store important documents, family photos, daily planners and have face-to-face conversations with the help of apps like Skype and FaceTime. Very impressive!

They have become such an important part of our daily lives it's hard to imagine what we would do without them. Unfortunately, millions of iPhone users are at risk of having their devices wiped at the hands of hackers.

Why your iPhone could be at risk
A group of hackers calling themselves the "Turkish Crime Family" claims to have gained access to a massive cache of iCloud and Apple email accounts. Access to these accounts could allow them to wipe everything from the victims' gadget remotely. They could also reset the victims' iCloud accounts.

The hackers allegedly have access to more than 300 million Apple email accounts. This includes people using @me and @icloud domains.

The cybercriminals are demanding that Apple pay them either $75,000 in Bitcoin currency or $100,000 in iTunes gift cards. In exchange for payment, the group would then delete the alleged data cache. They are giving Apple until April 7 to make the payment.

One of the criminals told Motherboard, "I just want my money and thought this would be an interesting report that a lot of Apple customers would be interested in reading and hearing."

Apple has not made a public statement on the extortion attempt. It's unknown whether this threat is real, as the alleged stolen account details have yet to be verified. In the case that the threat is real, there are some security steps you should take before April 7.

What you need to do now
In the chance that hackers have gained access to your Apple accounts, take these steps:

• Change your passwords - Make sure that you change all passwords associated with your Apple accounts. Also, have unique passwords for every site that you have an account. Using the same password across multiple sites should never be done. Read this article to help you create hack-proof passwords.
  • Backup your iPhone - You should backup your iPhone onto your computer through iTunes. If your phone ever gets wiped, you can restore it with your backup on iTunes. Click here to learn how to backup your iPhone.
  • Beware of phishing scams - Scammers will try and piggyback on potential breaches like this. They will create phishing emails, pretending to be the affected company, hoping to get victims to click on malicious links that could lead to more problems. Take our phishing IQ test to see if you can spot a fake email.
Hopefully, this extortion attempt is only a bluff. If it's not and you follow these steps you should be fine. Keep checking our Happening Now section and we'll let you know of any updates.

There ain't nothing safe with new technology, I wish it would all go away so I can relax and be the true caveman I once was....o_Oo_Oo_O

here you go :D:D:D:D:D

Is a "dumb phone" right for you?

In late February, Nokia announced a re-release of the classic 3310, an unabashedly retro move at a time when the world is obsessed with the latest and greatest smartphone technology.

Nokia Dumb Phone | Komando.com

The Nokia 3310 is considered a feature phone (sometimes jokingly called a "dumb phone"), which places it a few rungs down the technology ladder from a smartphone. The original 3310 came out in 2000 and earned a reputation as a durable phone stocked with fun games, good text messaging features, and a solid battery life. The modern version sports a slimmer design, a color screen, and a 2-megapixel camera, but it won't run all your fancy smartphone apps.

Turn on two factor identification on your I-whatevers if you haven't already. Keeps someone from signing on to your account from an unauthorized device even if they have your ID and password.

I could care less if my phone gets wiped. I have the numbers to my family memorized. And there is nothing on my phone that can't be replaced.

tp%3A%2F%2Fwww.allcreated.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F05%2Fsm-allcreated-apple-life-hack.png

Damn. I was hoping somebody posted a recipe for apple fritters.

here you go :D:D:D:D:D

Is a "dumb phone" right for you?

In late February, Nokia announced a re-release of the classic 3310, an unabashedly retro move at a time when the world is obsessed with the latest and greatest smartphone technology.

Nokia Dumb Phone | Komando.com

The Nokia 3310 is considered a feature phone (sometimes jokingly called a "dumb phone"), which places it a few rungs down the technology ladder from a smartphone. The original 3310 came out in 2000 and earned a reputation as a durable phone stocked with fun games, good text messaging features, and a solid battery life. The modern version sports a slimmer design, a color screen, and a 2-megapixel camera, but it won't run all your fancy smartphone apps.

Thanks you for thinking of me buddy!!! Can I text with it, not enough coffee yet this am to read it....:eek:

Minor technical glitch that will be solved soon I am sure. After all, Apple users have to get a new $ 700 phone very year right ?? I don't see any mass exodus to Samsung Androids soon.

Please keep buying and using Apple, it is one of the best performing stocks in our retirement account. I need the money. And I can't afford an Apple phone so I stick with Android.

One more reason to go Blackberry. (Pssst... They do everything your Android and I-trendlemmming phones do). Oh yeah, slightly more secure too

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top