JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dang it, I'm so close! One of these inexpensive car canopies would be pretty much ideal, if I could either move the house 5 inches, or move a concrete wall, a cyclone fence and a line of mature arborvitae. I have a 9'7" wide space to set up a 10' wide canopy.

Anyone here aware of one of these that's just a bit narrower? Is there perhaps a way I can buy a 10' wide one and set it up with the peak angled a bit higher and the legs a few inches closer together (but still vertical)? If that makes the structure less sturdy, I have the advantage of permanent walls on both sides to which I can anchor it very securely.

If you've been down this road and your canopy is about 9'6" wide, I'd be grateful to know what brand you have, where you got it, and what sort of custom changes you might've had make. Thanks in advance for tips.

10x20cover_zpsc29b03f1.jpg

10x20cover_zps8d8d9f7f.jpg

Last Edited:
I helped a neighbor reduce the width on one of these.
You have to cut some of the angled truss pipes to get the width you want and then some of the opposite sides vertical leg pipes to make it plumb and level.
I used my heavy duty pipe cutter tool to make a clean cut on the pipes.

You guys might be onto something. I want to keep it as wide as possible, like 9'7" so it's sort of wedged into the narrow "alley" next to the house. Then I can fasten it to the garage along one side and a concrete based cyclone fence along the other.

There'll be excess roof/tarp material (a few inches on one side or both) so I'll need to pull that tight somehow. Maybe with one of those grommet kits and cinch it down with ropes or big@ss tie-wraps.

That's a great sale price at Harbor Freight ($99), but I might pay more for another brand with a replaceable tarp for a couple years down the road when the original is thrashed.

<broken link removed>

I bought the 12x25' version with the side walls for a woodshed and storage. The top has lasted six years and it's only now starting to leak a little in a couple places because of some branches rubbing it during windstorms. As you see they sell replacement tops.

Thanks Bigfoot.

I was at Bimart today. They're phasing out a more expensive kit with a replacable tarp and just started selling a new kit, the whole shebang for $99 - the one on the far right in your link. Now that I've checked out how they're built and how they go together, I believe I'll get that one. Then I'll take JBett's lead, cut a few of the diagonal truss pipes shorter and narrow it up just a bit to 9'7" to fit in my area. Then if it works out I'll take credit for thinking it all up myself.

Looking ahead, there's no replacement tarp per se, but for $99 I can just buy another whole kit if/when the top starts leaking - and put the new top on right over the old one. My boat's going underneath it so I can leave the tight boat cover open enough to let it breathe inside. My sister's last boat ended up with the name "Mildew" and I don't want a twin.

The Bimart and Harbor Freight canopies look very similar. Since that's Bimart's everyday price, I'll be happy to skip the whole Black Friday with a coupon exercise.

Be mindful of the increase in water that will end up concentrated in the soil that supports the house foundation on one side, and the concrete wall etc. on the other.
Either that or devise/employ a gutter system off the eaves of this thing.

Stable walls and house foundation generally require well-drained and stable soil, not sloppy mud to rest on.

True dat! A very good observation.

Fortunately, this is will be on a concrete RV pad between the garage and a property line wall. But your point is well taken (by someone forced to rebuild a substandard foundation wall under a different home built in 1954).

Before I put up the canopy, I'll squeeze a fat bead of that gray DAP caulking goop into all the seams so they don't absorb any re-directed runoff. Thanks Jamie!

Then if it works out I'll take credit for thinking it all up myself.

Yep, that's what I'd do too. ;)

Speaking of the thing not draining properly. The vertical poles are 10' feet apart and as much as you try to pull the top down tight water will settle just above the horizontal tubes between the trusses. Especially with the shorter width and you trying to keep the top taught. Leaves gather just above the horizontal tubes and get wet causing low points and gathering lots of water. So two years ago I got the bright idea of running tie wire every couple feet both horizontal and vertical making a grid to eliminate the low spots. It worked until this year when one of the wires rusted out. Next time I'll use Stainless wire.

Go ahead and put it up, you'll see what I'm talking about eventually and you can run the wire grid while the top is on, just use SS wire.

Bi Mart is fazing mine out huh? I better get down there tomorrow and get a replacement top and front.

Good luck

Last Edited:
Yep, that's what I'd do too. ;)

Speaking of the thing not draining properly. The vertical poles are 10' feet apart and as much as you try to pull the top down tight water will settle just above the horizontal tubes between the trusses. Especially with the shorter width and you trying to keep the top taught. Leaves gather just above the horizontal tubes and get wet causing low points and gathering lots of water. So two years ago I got the bright idea of running tie wire every couple feet both horizontal and vertical making a grid to eliminate the low spots. It worked until this year when one of the wires rusted out. Next time I'll use Stainless wire.

Go ahead and put it up, you'll see what I'm talking about eventually and you can run the wire grid while the top is on, just use SS wire.

Bi Mart is fazing mine out huh? I better get down there tomorrow and get a replacement top and front.

Good luck

My Bi-Mart is phasing that cover out. Definitely check with yours before they're all gone.

You're right. Putting support under any soft canopy top makes all the sense in the world. Even a much smaller boat cover will sag and collect water unless you "tent" it and stretch it tight, causing positive runoff all the way around. Because any pooling can/will cause problems, I bent a few pieces of PVC for my boat cover, like covered wagon hoops, and put a big*ss exercise ball in the bow.

I'm glad you reminded me this 10x20' canopy will have the same issues. They all look so healthy in pictures on the boxes! To compound that, this one would be crammed between a garage and a fence with no room to put up a ladder on either side for routine leaf blowing, snow removal, etc.

Hmmmm...

boatcover_zps621eb23c.jpg

Yeah I considered your access problem. I can use a leaf rake to knock the gathered leaves down in the fall . Maybe cut it a couple inches shorter and leave a small gap on the garage side

One more thing. You're creating a bridge between the fence and garage. The raccoons, squirrels and cats (with their claws) will really appreciate your highway improvement. I'm guessing your covers will need replacing faster than mine.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top