JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What will the Army pick for their new SMG?

• Sig MPX

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Zenith Z5RS

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Colt Modular 9mm

• Beretta PMX

• CMMG Ultra PDW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CZ Scorpion Evo 3 A1

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • MARS-L9

• PTR 9CS

• Quarter Circle 10 LLC 5.5 CLT and 5.5 QV5

• B&T MP9

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
Dumb.... 5.56 CAR15's would fit the bill as PDW's for support troops nicely. Ammo and magazine commonality with combat-arms troops, as well as good for inside vehicle use, CQB, and better range than a 9mm sub-gun.

:rolleyes:

I gotta agree with you. Seems silly to not just go with a CAR15 or a variant of such. Shoot even going to an AR type pistol makes more sense to me.

Last Edited:
They are seriously debating that many?

Likely anything under 2000 is not on on military's list.

Even M4s have to cost us 4000-6000 a piece in the most overproduced AR15 market in history.

Knowing our purchases, I vote a select fire B&T at around 5000-6000 a piece.

Yeah, I remember that piece of "journalism". If the 5.56 AR bruised his shoulder as he claimed, the 9mm will REALLY put a hurtin' on him. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've only shot 5 of the candidates, but my choice would be the Sig MPX. Familiar manual of arms, very concealable, accepts aftermarket triggers. My favorite would be the Zenith (nothing seems to point as fast as the MP5 for me) but reloads are slower than a lot of the competitors. Hell, I wouldn't turn down a session with any of them.

They are seriously debating that many?

Likely anything under 2000 is not on on military's list.

Even M4s have to cost us 4000-6000 a piece in the most overproduced AR15 market in history.

Knowing our purchases, I vote a select fire B&T at around 5000-6000 a piece.

Last I read, the M4 Carbines were quoted at $700 apiece in 2012 for the GAO documents for the Remington 24,000 M4s production contract; I don't know about you, but thats far less than what retailers mark up for civilian semiauto versions. :rolleyes:

On topic, I agree a M4 based pistol or SBR would be far better..... heck, if the .300blk is allowed as issue ammo, a 10.5" .300blk M4 SBR would wipe the floor with the other pistols and be just as effective?

My favorite would be the Zenith (nothing seems to point as fast as the MP5 for me) but reloads are slower than a lot of the competitors. Hell, I wouldn't turn down a session with any of them.

Zenith also is hands down the best option for a suppressor. The paddle magazine release is still IMO better than push button releases. And......the platform is proven.

E

If the PDW is going to be used as PSD's only then they should just get Micro Ronis for Glocks or something like the TMP or really any handgun modular system that can accept a stock and grip if they plan to keep it in 9mm and concealable.

Last I read, the M4 Carbines were quoted at $700 apiece in 2012 for the GAO documents for the Remington 24,000 M4s production contract; I don't know about you, but thats far less than what retailers mark up for civilian semiauto versions. :rolleyes:

On topic, I agree a M4 based pistol or SBR would be far better..... heck, if the .300blk is allowed as issue ammo, a 10.5" .300blk M4 SBR would wipe the floor with the other pistols and be just as effective?

IMHO, while I like the .300blk alto I feel it should not be fielded in an environment where it maybe inadvertently get stuffed into a 5.56 chambered rifle by an inattentive soldier. Yes for those of you that have never seen the results of firing a 300blk in a 5.56 it can be done, the results are not good.

Last Edited:

There was the Honey Badger, but that was replaced by the Sig MCX.

Sig either has huge fanbois in procurement positions, or they have paid people off. FBI pistol solicitation was written expressly fir a p320 (they got Glocks) - the MHS trial specs were written for a P320, which they picked without conpleted testing. Now they want a 9mm submachine gun. The HK MP5 family is already NSN'd, had previously been fielded by us forces in limited roles. MP5K is just as concealable as an MPX. Now they are 'testing' an MP5 clone, when they can just order MP5s? Smells fishier than a Korean whorehouse. The MPX will get the contract sure enough. Even tho the CAR15 is a better choice, as is the MP5, or even the Glock 18 with a stock adapter...

Sig either has huge fanbois in procurement positions, or they have paid people off. FBI pistol solicitation was written expressly fir a p320 (they got Glocks) - the MHS trial specs were written for a P320, which they picked without conpleted testing. Now they want a 9mm submachine gun. The HK MP5 family is already NSN'd, had previously been fielded by us forces in limited roles. MP5K is just as concealable as an MPX. Now they are 'testing' an MP5 clone, when they can just order MP5s? Smells fishier than a Korean whorehouse. The MPX will get the contract sure enough. Even tho the CAR15 is a better choice, as is the MP5, or even the Glock 18 with a stock adapter...

Thats what I was thinking.

Mostly with a G18, they've already got plenty of support and since its the Federal Government they don't have to worry about boogie men coming to check lists (ATF scaring your doggos) then just drop a stock and throw a 33 round mag in it and a suppressed barrel.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top