JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
CRIME: Walla Walla man charged with poaching four deer
WALLA WALLA, WA --

A Walla Walla man has been charged with poaching four deer following an investigation by Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife enforcement officers.

Kyle O’Brien, 18, was charged last week in Walla Walla County District Court with four gross misdemeanor counts each of hunting deer during closed season and wastage, one gross misdemeanor count of spotlighting big game, and one misdemeanor count each of shooting from a road and having a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, according to the department.

Wildlife officer Rob McQuary received a tip Aug. 2 about two buck mule deer that had been shot and killed found off Nelms Road, just north of Woodward Canyon Road in western Walla Walla County, according to Fish and Wildlife.

When McQuary found the two carcasses with velvet-covered antlers still attached, he and wildlife officer Mike Johnson staked out the area to see if the shooter would return to remove the antlers.

O’Brien was observed by the officers that night shining a spotlight from a car and shooting a rifle seven times within a few minutes, according to Fish and Wildlife.

The officers stopped and questioned him, and the officers said O’Brien admitted to shooting two deer that night and two the night before. Officers recovered the two other mule deer nearby and seized the man’s rifle.

A gross misdemeanor is punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a $5,000 fine. A misdemeanor is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or a $1,000 fine. Also, criminal wildlife penalties can be assessed up to $6,000.

Read more: <broken link removed>

I hope they throw the book at this guy. Poaching is bad enough, but leaving that meat to waste is a sin. I was hunting quail on one of my Uncles' farms years ago and ran across the carcass of a Whitetail buck that someone had shot. They had chopped the top of the head off and taken the antlers and left the rest to rot. He was pretty sure he knew who did it, but couldn't prove it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top