JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I am looking at picking up a rifle for my son's to plink with. Should I go with an 17hmr or 22lr? Bolt action or semi auto? i know the 22 will be a bit cheaper to shoot, but what is more fun?

Help me make up my mind with some suggestions. :s0155: Does anyone have a rifle for sale??

My boy loves his Ruger 10/22. For fun to shoot factor, follow-up shots are quite fast with the semi, and I never have to worry about him shooting too much and costing me too much. I have a 17hmr too, but 22lr is plenty for him to handle, and plenty of fun when punching paper or shooting action targets.

Go with a 22lr, tube fed. 500 rounds@ $15 vs 50 rounds @ $12 for HMR

22LR isn't as dangerous as the range isn't there. It will help with close shots, stability, and gun handling accuracy etc.

My first gun was one of these:
<broken link removed>

Was very forgiving.

I bought a bolt HMR because I wanted accuracy. The 22lr I have is semi auto where accuracy isn't that important. It's more about just shooting.

My suggestion: 22LR in a semi-auto (bimart has a sale on Rugers right now)
My $.02

I think 22lr will be the choice. It seems the guns and ammo are the most reasonably priced in this caliber. I think I will try and find a tube fed Marlin.

Ugh, I cant stand tube fed. I would recommend 22lr because of price factor. The only reason to go with 17hmr is if your going to varmint hunt or need accuracy past 100 yards.

I would highly recommend checking out the savage mark II, bolt action, magazine fed.

Otherwise a ruger 10/22 is fun for semi-auto fun but less accurate. If you like playing barbie, the 10/22 is the way to go, lots of accessories.

I let my nephew learn on a 10/22 and wow...didn't care about accuracy at all. So I bought him a single shot to slow him down. He will move his way up to mag fed or tube fed bolt action then a semi-auto. What about a Henry's lever action .22 I absolutely love my father-in-laws. Marlin papoose wouldn't be a bad idea either, good to learn on and could second as a hiking companion since it breaks down

I let my nephew learn on a 10/22 and wow...didn't care about accuracy at all. So I bought him a single shot to slow him down. He will move his way up to mag fed or tube fed bolt action then a semi-auto. What about a Henry's lever action .22 I absolutely love my father-in-laws. Marlin papoose wouldn't be a bad idea either, good to learn on and could second as a hiking companion since it breaks down

Both son's started out on and H&R 410/22 combo set that are single shot that were given to them by thier great grandfather. They are great guns to learn with and very safe. I also started on a single shot Stevens 72 that my grandfather bought me, and still have it.:s0155:

I picked up a Cricket from Wally Mart for my son a couple weeks ago. Bolt action, fires .22 Short, Long or Long Rifle standard or high velocity and has a built in key lock for the bolt. Nice gun for under $110.00

I've got a used Mossberg 377 "Plinker" for sale. 22LR, semi-auto, tube magazine, synthetic thumbhole stock, and scope rings. $175.
If you're interested, I can email you some photos.

33 years ago my dad bought me a remington 500 series bolt action. Wouldn't let me have a scope. Best thing he could have done. Save the 17 for later and go for a tube or magazine bolt action 22.

Diffinatly the 22lr and yes the Ruger 10/22 is great but don't forget about the Remington 597 ... very similer to the 10/22 but sometimes you can find them cheaper, I have one and it is a great little plinker!

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR