JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I am looking at picking up a rifle for my son's to plink with. Should I go with an 17hmr or 22lr? Bolt action or semi auto? i know the 22 will be a bit cheaper to shoot, but what is more fun?

Help me make up my mind with some suggestions. :s0155: Does anyone have a rifle for sale??

My boy loves his Ruger 10/22. For fun to shoot factor, follow-up shots are quite fast with the semi, and I never have to worry about him shooting too much and costing me too much. I have a 17hmr too, but 22lr is plenty for him to handle, and plenty of fun when punching paper or shooting action targets.

Go with a 22lr, tube fed. 500 rounds@ $15 vs 50 rounds @ $12 for HMR

22LR isn't as dangerous as the range isn't there. It will help with close shots, stability, and gun handling accuracy etc.

My first gun was one of these:
<broken link removed>

Was very forgiving.

I bought a bolt HMR because I wanted accuracy. The 22lr I have is semi auto where accuracy isn't that important. It's more about just shooting.

My suggestion: 22LR in a semi-auto (bimart has a sale on Rugers right now)
My $.02

I think 22lr will be the choice. It seems the guns and ammo are the most reasonably priced in this caliber. I think I will try and find a tube fed Marlin.

Ugh, I cant stand tube fed. I would recommend 22lr because of price factor. The only reason to go with 17hmr is if your going to varmint hunt or need accuracy past 100 yards.

I would highly recommend checking out the savage mark II, bolt action, magazine fed.

Otherwise a ruger 10/22 is fun for semi-auto fun but less accurate. If you like playing barbie, the 10/22 is the way to go, lots of accessories.

I let my nephew learn on a 10/22 and wow...didn't care about accuracy at all. So I bought him a single shot to slow him down. He will move his way up to mag fed or tube fed bolt action then a semi-auto. What about a Henry's lever action .22 I absolutely love my father-in-laws. Marlin papoose wouldn't be a bad idea either, good to learn on and could second as a hiking companion since it breaks down

I let my nephew learn on a 10/22 and wow...didn't care about accuracy at all. So I bought him a single shot to slow him down. He will move his way up to mag fed or tube fed bolt action then a semi-auto. What about a Henry's lever action .22 I absolutely love my father-in-laws. Marlin papoose wouldn't be a bad idea either, good to learn on and could second as a hiking companion since it breaks down

Both son's started out on and H&R 410/22 combo set that are single shot that were given to them by thier great grandfather. They are great guns to learn with and very safe. I also started on a single shot Stevens 72 that my grandfather bought me, and still have it.:s0155:

I picked up a Cricket from Wally Mart for my son a couple weeks ago. Bolt action, fires .22 Short, Long or Long Rifle standard or high velocity and has a built in key lock for the bolt. Nice gun for under $110.00

I've got a used Mossberg 377 "Plinker" for sale. 22LR, semi-auto, tube magazine, synthetic thumbhole stock, and scope rings. $175.
If you're interested, I can email you some photos.

33 years ago my dad bought me a remington 500 series bolt action. Wouldn't let me have a scope. Best thing he could have done. Save the 17 for later and go for a tube or magazine bolt action 22.

Diffinatly the 22lr and yes the Ruger 10/22 is great but don't forget about the Remington 597 ... very similer to the 10/22 but sometimes you can find them cheaper, I have one and it is a great little plinker!

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads