JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
K, the other day my critters went on alert and I stuck my head out of the window and in the high grass I saw what I thought was a neighbors dog so I yelled GIT. As it looked at me and hightailed it I realized it was a female yote :mad:. I live on the outskirts of a small town, my closest neighbor is 75 yards away and I'd like to stay on friendly terms if I pop a yote at sunset so on the net I found this little jewel. In this vid it makes 111 decibels which is a good bit quieter than a suppressed 9mm.

Problem is I know nothing about air guns. I can get a 20# CO2 tank from a co-worker cheap, how much does it cost for a regulator, fittings etc. I've read $hundreds which sounds stupid high.

Another puzzling thing. Benjamin's specs quote:
  • 800 max fps with a 145-grain Nosler bullet (900 fps max with a 95-grain bullet)
Really? Drop fifty grains and only gain 100 fps? WTH? Why

If you're looking to get that coyote, you might take a closer look at the slightly smaller, and less expensive .25 cal PCP guns. Check out some reviews and YT vids and you'll see clean kills even with the smaller caliber.

I can't speak to the regulator & accessories, but just wanted to recommend looking around a bit. Since he noted in the video that those .357 rounds run .80-.85 per shot, unless you plan on doing a lot of hunting, you may be better off financially looking more closely at .25

Here is one on Pyramid Air for about 1/2 the price of that bullpup - and at least one reviewer notes using it for coyote - another notes it's a very quiet gun. A lot of great reviews on this one. And even if you have to spend money to get the regulator, you'd still be ahead in overall investment.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_PCP_Air_Rifle_Synthetic_Stock/3139

Benjamin-Marauder-PCP-Synthetic_BJ-BP1764S_lg.jpg

The crack of a pellet exiting the barrel on my rifle is pretty loud with the lighter pellets.Not much less than a 22lr. If I use regular pellets it's a little better but still can be heard a ways away.
If you aren't getting some speed then you may not have the range.But you want energy too.
All in all,you will spend plenty on an air rifle that will be effective on a yote. About as much as a suppressor for your 22.I would be more inclined to use a 22lr than waste my time with a regular air rifle or spend the money on the expensive ones.
For reference on NOT killing a coyote,my friend hit one with a 20ga. with bird shot at about 10 yards. The thing trotted across the road and stopped for him to get the shot.
Ran off after he had laid it down and it pushed itself off the road.
You may kill one with a perfect head shot and good luck with that.
I suppose a good sphincter shot would make any dog GTFO of your yard

Used to have a 30-06 adapter made by Marble (Marvel ? ) You just clipped a .32 Auto cartridge onto the front an you were good to go for small critters.:)

If you insist on a PCP Air gun, look for one in the 800 psi range. You can use a hand air pump and not kill yourself pumping it.:eek:

I have found lead .44 cal muzzle loader pistol balls launched with a Wrist Rocket to work pretty well for convincing critters to stay out of my yard. I do not claim it kills coyotes @ 75 yds. but it sure impressed the dog that was anointing the chrome wheels on my car.

Once again I start out with a good idea that ends up being too expensive or impractical. o_O Those air rifles are sold legally with "moderators" that keep the noise down but they're way expensive. I'm going the cheap route instead. I have a Taurus 45 Colt pump rifle with a 28" barrel. I'll go find some 200 gr cast bullets and see if I can load some cat sneeze loads with Trail Boss. If they're still too loud all I gotta do is open a window and stand back a few feet. Sure wish I could mount a scope on it, I'll just have to remember to grab my glasses, and hearing protection.

I want the buzzards to say "Hey look, dogfood"

I got this Taurus years ago for this very reason but it's been a safe queen. It came with a box of CAS reloads, I thumbed a few in and told my shooting buddy to tell me if it was loud. It was. Don't know anything about the loads though, maybe I can come up with something quieter.

I have found that break barrel air guns to be less accurate than fixed barrel. I have tried several and thus is what I settled on http://www.crosman.com/airguns/benjamin-airguns/benjamin-397
That said I don't think an air rifle is up to the task unless you want to shoot then in the gut and let them die a slow cruel death by peritonitis.

I regularly shoot Yotes with a 17 HMR and as long as you hit them in the head / neck or a clean shot in the boiler room, they will drop. A 17 is arguably quieter than a 22 and if you shoot from back inside the window, your neighbor won't know you shot.

I want the buzzards to say "Hey look, dogfood"

I got this Taurus years ago for this very reason but it's been a safe queen. It came with a box of CAS reloads, I thumbed a few in and told my shooting buddy to tell me if it was loud. It was. Don't know anything about the loads though, maybe I can come up with something quieter.

Just a thought.Maybe you need to 'clean' that Taurus better?

I have a Xisico 22 cal break barrel rifle that will penetrate a 3/4 inch pine board. Out to 30 yds I get about a 1/2 inch group. This is with open sights, from the bench. It shoots a 14.5 gr pellet at just under 900 fps.

I wouldn't hesitate to try a head shot on a yote out to 50yds.
I don't see any problem penetrating the skull for a brain shot.
These break barrel air rifles are more accurate and effective than given credit. My Xisico rifle sells for under 200.00 and with a complete tune up around three. The noise level is about like a CB short.

The thing is with a springer break barrel, you have to learn how to shoot them. The hold on the rifle and type of pellet can make all the difference in the group you will get.Each rifle I have has a tendency to like a different hold for good accuracy. Type of pellet for that particular gun is also important.That makes for a good excuse for more range time;) JMO, but up close and personal, I think they will do a number on a yote with a head shot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top