JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was going to meet with one of the vendors on this board tonight to order an HP22 for $180. However, I got a pm about a p22 in my area used for $220. My question is, what do you think I should go with? I like that the hp22 is smaller (if I wanted back up it would be easier to conceal, although its primarily for cheap shooting). Any information would help. I only have about an hour to decide, help! Thanks

The p22 from my experience is a good little pistol. If the thread cover on your barrel is still there, keep an eye on it. The like to come off.

My dad bought one a while back and he likes it a lot. Pretty accurate for what it is.

I would go with the Walther, unless you need the conceal ability. I guarantee the Walther will be more fun to shoot.

The price of the Walther seems fair.

Bear in mind that some Walther P-22's will not operate using the cheaper .22 ammo, can you test-fire it before you buy? P-22 is much nicer than a Phoenix Arms way more tactical too, if there is such a thing with a rimfire...

not a fan of the p-22. had one and it had feeding and ejecting problems on any bulk 22 ammo. sold it and bought a 22/45. That being said Mini mags shot great out of it.

Caveat: I'm an owner of some of the pistols mentioned here: Ruger Marks and Phoenix HPs. I don't own a Walther.

Ruger Marks and Walthers are high-quality firearms, while the Phoenix is an interesting, accurate, and much lower quality pistol. The Phoenix is rated only for standard velocity ammo, while the Ruger, Walther, and other similar pistols can handle the higher compression stuff.

The Ruger Mark and Browning Buckmark have relatively long barrels, and so will be very good target pistols.

And here's where decisions get more difficult: the Phoenix is available with a long target barrel, which makes it, in my experience, a nice and cheap target plinker. Is it equal to the Ruger Mark? Not in my experience, but it's a lot of fun.

As for the Walther, it's a very nice .22, but with the short barrel, it can't measure up to pistols with longer barrels. But if you want a very dependable short-barrel, the Walther is good.

I have a hp22a and love it, although I wouldn't pay $180 for one, I picked mine up used for $80 bucks. they are a nice little gun for the money and replacement parts are super easy to get if you need them. they can be had brand new for $130 though.

I love the P22. Took it to the range this weekend. Federal 525 count box of ammo from walmart ($18) worked fine minus 1 or 2 that didnt cycle out of half the box. very accurate at 10 yards

I have a Phoenix and love it for plinking, particularly with the target barrel. However, the warranty warns against using anything hotter than standard velocity, and the there are reports online both about "no problem!" and "my slide broke". Personally, if I wanted a '22 for protection, I'd get a firearm that was guaranteed for Mini-mags or something similar.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top