JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Your kit should be a simple as possible, and no simpler.

Ol' Remus
Top item

<broken link removed>

Every seasoned engineer adores simplicity. Where there is no failure mode, there is no failure. Complexity is, in itself, even while just sitting there being agreeable, an enemy in waiting.

Simplicity and versatility are nearly the same thing. Consider the knife, for instance. Consider cordage. Simple and versatile. As Heinlein said, specialization is for insects. When something is made complex, tradeoffs must be made, which forecloses or reduces options. Follow this far enough and the item becomes so specialized it's useless for anything other than one narrow purpose.

Simplicity improves nearly anything. A spear, perhaps cut from a straight sapling, sharpened and fire hardened, appears to be a single-use tool, but it's also a walking stick, a test probe for iffy ground, a cudgel, an aid in crossing fast-running water and more. The GPS system may go down, or your receiver may, but a compass is always reliable. Simple recipes using few ingredients, the best use of your resources and storage space, can be used as-is or altered with additives of opportunity.

Your battle rifle deserves the simplicity treatment. It can be optimized for only one thing and that thing should be gunfights at medium range. Fit it with a low power, wide field scope that can survive the jackhammer test, backed up by iron sights you've zeroed-in and practiced using. Put together a rifle for precision work at long range if you must, don't compromise your battle rifle, it should be simple, absolutely reliable, and never need batteries.
More at the <broken link removed>

Simple works for me ...'Course I'm a simple kinda guy.
If I had to use a battle rifle for what it was intended for it would be my Remington 03A3.
Easy to shoot and carry ... And as stated no batteries needed.
My knife would be a simple one too ... My Blackjack model #5.
Andy
DSC06339.jpg
DSC06038.jpg

Simple works for me ...'Course I'm a simple kinda guy.
If I had to use a battle rifle for what it was intended for it would be my Remington 03A3.
Easy to shoot and carry ... And as stated no batteries needed.
My knife would be a simple one too ... My Blackjack model #5.
Andy
View attachment 351291
View attachment 351290

And your rifle has "Stripper" clips, I see it's in good company! :D

My "simple" rifle is 99% steel (no wood at all and only the pistol grip is plastic/rubber).

It weighs under 8 pounds and based on/shares 99% of its parts with the most robust, most durable and popular infantry rifle in the world, made to be (and is) used/maintained by "peasants" and people in third world countries, most of whom have zero education/training.

The ammo is ubiquitous worldwide (where military ammo is allowed and often where it isn't), quite effective out to 300 meters for humans and medium sized game (deer, black bear and in a pinch could take an elk with proper bullet placement from under 100 meters.

It is also concealable in a medium to smallish backpack or carrying case of 27" or less in length.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top