JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have never pawned anything, but i have a buddy who pawned two very expensive rifles and got a very small amount of cash for them.

You might consider pawning your television or computer before your guns.

Pawning in general is not a good idea. The interest rate is fairly high and the amount you'd get will be fairly low. If you're looking to raise money you're better off selling, to a private party.

Here's a good way to think of it. If you pawn something its just money you have to pay back, but if you have a gun that's worth say, 400 bucks then you can sell it for 400 bucks and have fun buying a new one later when you have money!

In Oregon a Pawn is a short term loan. You will have 60 days +30 on the first term to pay the interest and get your item back. After the first term you get 60 days (you will have to pay the first terms interest to get the second term) You can keep this up as long as you pay the interest. The Silverton Road Pawn Shop in Salem actually has a couple gun collections being stored at the shop due to the safety factor. The owners just keep paying the interest every 60 days.

The most they will loan you for a firearm is 100.00 and the buy back is $126.00 I believe with the background check. Been a while since I did any business with them.

I have used them a number of times when cash was short and some to good to pass up deal came along and I had to have bucks NOW.

In year past before credit cards pawn shops were one of the very few forms of credit available to the working class. And like any business they are in business to make profit. I know the guys at the Silverton Road shop on a personal level and off and on I have done business with them for nearly 30 years. The are honest and pretty good to deal with. In all that time I have only lost one item and it was completely my fault. I spaced the end of the term. I learned.

I did once and alway reget my decisions... Few years back I dated this girl who had two kids. Kids and guns dont get along since I didn't have the safe and moved in to live with her. I had a bushmaster AR15 with 1 30 rounds mag and a HK 45 fullsize with 12 rounds mag (this is happen while the banned still going on so 12 rounds mags was gold at that time). I pawned both of them to the locker pawn shop on 82nd and glisan, I thought it was safe place for awhile till I can convince (ex)gf to buy a safe and then I will get the guns back. I pawn both of them for $500. I bought the riffle for for $750, handgun for $600 and the 12 rounds mag ftf for $75. Total I spend on the guns were $1425 not including the houge grip that I put on the HK.

Well, it was the first time I pawned something. Those guys at the pawn shop didn't explain to me about the 90 days rule. 4 months later I got myself a safe and I returned to the Locker Pawn Shop to get my guns back, they told me that they sold it already and now they explain the 90 holding rule....

IF YOU DONT GET YOUR GUN BACK IN 90 DAYS THEY WILL PUT IT UP FOR SALE!!!!

Here's a good way to think of it. If you pawn something its just money you have to pay back, but if you have a gun that's worth say, 400 bucks then you can sell it for 400 bucks and have fun buying a new one later when you have money!

Think I like this point the most. Ill just sell my two basic guns that I know I can find for sale again. Should I keep my mags or sell them with the gun?
FYI you will be seeing a post for a Glock 17 rtf2 gen 3 for sale and an WASR ak 47 tomorrow when I can get picks up. Hate to see my glock go though. It was my first gun I bought and was the gun that got me to buy multiple other guns.

I would try and keep the mags and just get as much as you can for the gun itself. Fortunately glocks and AKs have good resell value. To me this is the best way to acquire cash short term. Even if you end up spending a few extra dollars you're getting brand new guns back.

I did once and alway reget my decisions... Few years back I dated this girl who had two kids. Kids and guns dont get along since I didn't have the safe and moved in to live with her. I had a bushmaster AR15 with 1 30 rounds mag and a HK 45 fullsize with 12 rounds mag (this is happen while the banned still going on so 12 rounds mags was gold at that time). I pawned both of them to the locker pawn shop on 82nd and glisan, I thought it was safe place for awhile till I can convince (ex)gf to buy a safe and then I will get the guns back. I pawn both of them for $500. I bought the riffle for for $750, handgun for $600 and the 12 rounds mag ftf for $75. Total I spend on the guns were $1425 not including the houge grip that I put on the HK.

Well, it was the first time I pawned something. Those guys at the pawn shop didn't explain to me about the 90 days rule. 4 months later I got myself a safe and I returned to the Locker Pawn Shop to get my guns back, they told me that they sold it already and now they explain the 90 holding rule....

IF YOU DONT GET YOUR GUN BACK IN 90 DAYS THEY WILL PUT IT UP FOR SALE!!!!

The terms of the loan are clearly shown on your receipt. It wasn't that they did something to you YOU SCREWED UP......

I now work for a Pawn Shop in Orchards.
The terms and rates on loans in the State of Washington are set by the State. The term is 90 days and at the end you can pick it up or renew it for an additional 90 days.
The typical amount loaned is not the current value as no business can pay retail and sell for retail and the idea is that you get your gun back.
Pawning a firearm should be just a short term fix to a temporary cash flow problem...
Just my 2 cents..

IF If something happens and you can't go back and recover it,you have lost the gun.Or the difference in the pawn and retail.

I'm with selling them and getting new ones later.

But I would find anything else I could sell before selling all my handguns.

The loan contract is for 90 days with an option for renewal for an addition 90 days as long as you would like. However, if you cant pick it up or extend it, the item becomes the property of the Pawn Shop, as it was the collateral for the loan.
Our shop allows "Buy Backs" if someone comes in after the time was defaulted and if it has not been sold. The terms are set by the owner.

I figure you've already made your decision by now.

Here's the deal, if you know without a doubt that you will be able to reclaim your property, whatever it is, under the conditions of the contract there's nothing wrong with taking a loan if your strapped for cash.

If you have doubt about meeting the terms of the contract in a pawn shop your better off selling to someone who doesn't need to make a profit on the transaction, so that you get the best value for your property.

I have taken pawn loans in the past and screwed it up, but that's on me. I've also taken loans that kept me afloat for a couple weeks at critical times.

I'm not saying it's a great option, but it's just like anything else, as long as you know what your getting into...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews