JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
?? Albertson's/Safeway gave a $2.00/hour increase a week or so ago, going back to 3/15. I would presume it would be all three? Including Fred's? From Wifey talking to some Fred's employees in the past, they have different structure in their contract with the UFCW than Albertway's does. And a different contract.

Wifey is getting emails from the union puffing their chest about getting them this extra pay, but she's under the impression it was the company. o_O Being as she is a department head she just received a bonus check $$ too, that wouldn't have had anything to do with the union.

We're not fans of paying the union. They are raging liberals and want members to vote for people that would take more and more money from their paychecks. :confused: If not for the union there have been management that would have surely made life hell. If not getting her terminated :confused: It's a rippin' "Catch 22"!

I don't trust the union as far as I can fart. I don't believe these businesses have cash squirting out their butts, but the union acts like they do. The union will demand increase $$ that seem unrealistic to me. The union will be the undoing of the stores where they are in place, is my fear.

You are a brave man... I WAS a union member with CWA when I worked at the phone company... useless bastids cost me lots of money and gave me no results. The time for unions is passed. But all the union workers I know get very defensive. They love their inflated wages. I tried to talk to my brother, who retired from the phone co, about how unionizing has driven up the cost of utilities, education, lumber, etc, but he got mad. And every time I talk about unions online, I get hate mail. Stand by...

That is if you can manage to get the loan in the first place. Most banks are sitting on their borrowed cash and making it plenty hard to get money.

I keep reading the banks making excuses for not processing these biz rescue loans.... WTF????

We have already lost a few restaurants here.... :(:(:(

Free $ for businesses = continued jobs for workers. They are one in the same.

I think MOST people are behind this rescue plan, deficit spending notwithstanding. But the pork inside the last stimulus and the proposed spending on infrastructure in a new plan, is a NOGO for me!!!

#RememberSolyndra

They love their inflated wages.

Your talking different unions than the UFCW.

Maybe if the effing party in POWER would quit raising the wage for, first job, unskilled, undependable, lazy workers which, basically, results in a pay cut for those like Wifey, it wouldn't be so bad. And yes, I realize it's the damned unions that push the likes of our so called leaders in Salem to make these laws.

Mrs308 works at the local surgery center. With the outbreak of CV, their procedures are limited to emergency, and this adds up to maybe 5 per day, most of which are completed by 8 or 9am.

That being said, nurses and staff are being farmed out, but since everyone is in the same boat, most are just sitting around putting in the hours.

Yesterday, Mrs308 was offered Pandemic Pay. This equates to 70% of gross wages, full benefits and PTO still accrue. The only stipulation is she has to (1) agree to the 70% and (2) not come to work for at least two weeks, and her employment is still guaranteed. She gets paid to stay home.

Needless to say, I encouraged her to take it since there is other staff that need the full time pay/hours, and we are not so much in that situation.

Anyone else hear about this sort of deal?

We are on somewhat of a similar thing. 1 week on, 1 week off rotations. On the off weeks, we have to be on call during our normal working shift, and have to be able to respond to work for emergencies within our normal commute time +15 minutes. Next week is my off week. We still get normal pay and everything. It's weird times....

While its great that businesses are paying people to not work and thus help people through these times there will be a price to pay later and everyone needs to be preparing for that as well.

The domino effect of all this government cheese being given away, and it is a damn good thing it is the Feds money, cause Oregon sure as hell don't have it, is that it will get the citizens through an INITIAL period of layoffs and other income source interruptions. The real SHTF will be when the state of Oregon has to figure out how to pay all these unemployment claims and all the other free sh*t that Kate keeps putting out there.

Korrupt Kate is just waiting for the Feds to sh*t the golden egg on the state, so that she can pay for all the unemployment claims and other assistance programs. Hopefully the payments to the people will help out and tide every on over until the work and economy opens up again. How long wil that be ?? TBD at this point in time, but if I had a small business, I would be looking at a 3 month plan, a 6 month plan and a year plan and seeing what I could do to position my business for the unknown. If the Feds don't come through with all the money, or Kate has more leaky buckets than cash to fill them, you could see massive amounts of unemployment payments not made. Already there are tons of denials going out, which is nothing more than a stall tactic until the state has some actual cash in the bank to pay those claims.

You could run some models and what if scenarios to the most outlandish outcomes or problems you might think you could possibly encounter. I have and had spreadsheets for small business that you could adjust one cell, one input, other outside factors and see what the down stream potential and liability would be. Numbers don't lie, the government and media do. Now is the time for imaginative planning for small business.

As far as pandemic pay goes, my wife works in Admitting in an ER. No such talk from their group about it, in fact with admissions down, and labor expenses up they are watching the labor hours very closely. It is a good thing that some organizations are doing this, this means they could have afforded it a long time ago,and are now just choosing to do it. Even the ones who are extending PTO with out affecting the employees accrued PTO can only do that for so long.

On the recovery side of this situation, it could bode well for good employees in increased wages and weed out some deadwood where it is needed.

Your talking different unions than the UFCW.

Maybe if the effing party in POWER would quit raising the wage for, first job, unskilled, undependable, lazy workers which, basically, results in a pay cut for those like Wifey, it wouldn't be so bad. And yes, I realize it's the damned unions that push the likes of our so called leaders in Salem to make these laws.

Yup, I don't know jack about the UFCW. Are you saying that their members don't have inflated wages? (Years ago, when I was still working, I was involved in a project inside the office of a local electrical utility that is a Co-op... I happened to see the open screen on a paysheet... this was 12yrs or so ago, and the standard pay for a lineman was $45/hr... holy moly!!! Just think what OT, double OT, and Holiday/triple OT amounted to!! Why wouldn't a newly minted veteran want a job like that???)

Anyway, yes, min wage is inflationary too. Beyond the fact that the market doesn't reward entry level, low skill, low education, McD level, jobs with a "living wage". If one wants/needs or will ever be in a situation where they will want/need a "living wage" job, then they better f'ing well prepare themselves and equip themselves to compete in an open market that values and rewards knowledge and skillz!!!

Rant off.

IMHO....
It wasn't all that hard to figure out how private businesses (and certain industries & perhaps some individuals) was gonna game the system.

Waste, Fraud and Abuse are on its way on a massive scale.

Mind you that I'm not saying that every *private (semi-public/NGO/etc...) person/business/organization will get on the gravy train. And I can see that the massive stimulus package meant well.

BUT....GREED is real.

*I guess I also forgot to mention that even public institutions and public workers could be involved.

Aloha, Mark

PS....I'm not pointing out a particular case(s) here. This is NOT the time or place for it.

Last Edited:
Something I thought I heard on the news tonight. Some of the small business rescue loan money wouldn't have to be repaid by business owners. So long as workers sent home were kept on the payroll and guaranteed a job to come back to. This is a generous safety net that we haven't seen the kind of before. I wondered about that world, "loan" when the rescue packages were under discussion in Congress. There is now a new definition for that word, loan. The new def. is "gift."

It's called the Paycheck Protection Program. It was supposed to open for applications on Friday (April 3) -- when I applied my banker told me the rules aren't yet hammered out and the amount of money is too little and that I shouldn't have high hopes.

It's called the Paycheck Protection Program. It was supposed to open for applications on Friday (April 3) -- when I applied my banker told me the rules aren't yet hammered out and the amount of money is too little and that I shouldn't have high hopes.

Yep that is the word on the street. There is also another program over there for up to 10K as a grant to help. Pretty easy to apply. Go to sba.gov, click on the covid19 options. There are 4 programs. One the protection program. one if you already have funding and approvals for up to 25K, one for up to 10K, and one that most won't be applicable for.
The 10K one is pretty easy to apply for. I think the amount is dependant on your past 12 month revenues as all they asked for was basic business setup and last 12 revenue and cost of goods.

Bankers are all about RULES.

When we did our last home addition project, the wife and I had project financing thru our local bank. They were anal about schedules.... WTF did they care??? We were making interest only payments with a loan conversion on the end... longer building period = more interest for them. They extended the loan period for us a couple of times, of course with a new loan fee attached every time. Friggin banks!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

Yup, I don't know jack about the UFCW. Are you saying that their members don't have inflated wages?

There's no inflated wages at Wifey's level. She's the highest position that's still union. Two positions above here, store director and assistant store director. She works her bubblegum off and many time has to work her bubblegum off and part of another one off because of people that don't show up for shifts. Benefit package is pretty decent with 300 deductible each and 85% after that. Not sure where the cap is, after that 100%. She pays into that one monthly. Then there's the Kaiser choice. :rolleyes:

Pisses me off because of minimum wage increase. All that did was raise prices of everything, and no increase for those that were earning more than minimum, as there shouldn't have been. Other than cost of living raises. Damn stupid democrats in Salem. Too stupid to realize wages forced up? Companies raise prices to cover it! No, their not stoopid, it's the people that vote them in that are stoopid.

Mrs308 works at the local surgery center. With the outbreak of CV, their procedures are limited to emergency, and this adds up to maybe 5 per day, most of which are completed by 8 or 9am.

That being said, nurses and staff are being farmed out, but since everyone is in the same boat, most are just sitting around putting in the hours.

Yesterday, Mrs308 was offered Pandemic Pay. This equates to 70% of gross wages, full benefits and PTO still accrue. The only stipulation is she has to (1) agree to the 70% and (2) not come to work for at least two weeks, and her employment is still guaranteed. She gets paid to stay home.

Needless to say, I encouraged her to take it since there is other staff that need the full time pay/hours, and we are not so much in that situation.

Anyone else hear about this sort of deal?

No I haven't seen a pay increase, our higher ups said there won't be any. PTO is the same as pre pandemic for getting/using. There won't be any special PTO coverage if you are sick regular or with the C1984. I am Union only in the sense that I am robbed of $600 a year (50 a month) to help fund our opposition, I love getting the little pamphlets to help cronies of Kate each election season and emails from Union spokespeople about how orange man bad.

Tbh I am fine with still having a job, what scares me is the longer term effects this will have as everyone has to play make up down the line. I just imagine 2008 and 9/11 on steroids x1000 levels of catch up. What i've learned from the last recession of 2008 is that be as cut throat as possible since no job is going to secure you a spot unless vitally essential to its flow. Already working on weeding out problems.

They have however been more lax in that if you are feeling ill its the ONE time that its ok to take PTO as a precaution. Otherwise we don't care if nukes are dropping you are coming in.

The GF works at WinCo and got a bonus check, not sure what all else their union is doing for them but I think some got hazard pay?. To the effect of $300 for full time and $150 for part time.

because of people that don't show up for shifts.

I've heard that this is a real problem today as compared to years ago. When I asked an older WalMart cashier why they were remodeling, she told me that they were taking out cashier stations and putting in massive self checkout because of it. Weird, previously a WallyWorld worker would get fired the second time being late, much less failing to show up. I guess people really don't need jobs as much today. Certainly, my worthless grandson got fired for that, then his wife kicked him out, now he is homeless. Is that what store workers see as progress???

And it does pizz me off that wages and prices keep going up... My SSI check doesn't keep up with that! And my wife gets a small SSI raise and then Medicare takes all of it!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Can't even eat at McD now for less than $8... and McD counter people have been replaced by self service machines... yeah that min wage increase really helped THEM out...

Can't even eat at McD now for less than $8... and McD counter people have been replaced by self service machines... yeah that min wage increase really helped THEM out...

I don't know what's worse. Making it too expensive for an old retired guy to get his regular McDee's fix. Or, that on old retired guy get's his fixes from McDee's. :s0092: :D But then I'm pretty sure they don't have an old timey "Tastee Freeze" type place in LaGrande for more traditional drive-in foods.

Yeah, I get it too! We went through the "Drive Thru" THREE fing times in a week and a half! Gawd. Usually it's twice a month, and just for a snack, not the full meal deal.

Stay strong out there. Soon, hopefully, it will be nice enough that you can at least sit out side in a little warm/sun.

My wife can't do that for her RN position. Hard to check a cervix over the internet.

I don't know what's worse. Making it too expensive for an old retired guy to get his regular McDee's fix. Or, that on old retired guy get's his fixes from McDee's. :s0092: :D But then I'm pretty sure they don't have an old timey "Tastee Freeze" type place in LaGrande for more traditional drive-in foods.

Yeah, I get it too! We went through the "Drive Thru" THREE fing times in a week and a half! Gawd. Usually it's twice a month, and just for a snack, not the full meal deal.

Stay strong out there. Soon, hopefully, it will be nice enough that you can at least sit out side in a little warm/sun.

I've always liked to garbage out at McD. My Dad, passed on now, had to have a McDouble at least once a week. Are there any Tastee Freezes left in biz? We have a Nell's N Out drive thru that has been in La Grande forever, mom and pop place, very popular.

My McD urges have ramped up since quarantine... :(:(:oops::oops: They have a deal on their fish sandwich going. Tried a Double Big Mac and wasn't impressed tho.

I didn't think quarantine would be this hard.... I'm getting bummed.

I've always liked to garbage out at McD. My Dad, passed on now, had to have a McDouble at least once a week. Are there any Tastee Freezes left in biz? We have a Nell's N Out drive thru that has been in La Grande forever, mom and pop place, very popular.

My McD urges have ramped up since quarantine... :(:(:oops::oops: They have a deal on their fish sandwich going. Tried a Double Big Mac and wasn't impressed tho.

I didn't think quarantine would be this hard.... I'm getting bummed.

You could be my brother man! :s0140: I'd forgot about Nell's. Never been there as we're always through town in January. Just the stop and grab a room at the Royal Motor Inn, and dinner at the Mexican or Asian place, on our way back from SLC to PDX.

McDee's used to be a regular place. Loved it from first bite in SoCal before they even came to Utah. Still Woof out on my favorite, Big Mac, from time to time. McDee's, and others put an end to the "drive In's". Now I'd rather have the drive ins back.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top