JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought a .224 Valkyrie BCG from PSA and it appears to be defective. It slides into a stripped upper about half way and then requires considerable pressure to move beyond that point. I have tried it in 2 Anderson and 2 Aero stripped uppers (nothing installed on them) with the same results. I contacted PSA CS on their website with the same summary I just detailed and below are the email responses I have received. I put them in chronological order top to bottom. Based on reviews, I assume this is probably the last I'll here from PSA and I have sent an email to Toolcraft, in hopes that they'll be more helpful. I just thought I would share my experience with you guys.

Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 8:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Thank you for your inquiry Arne [ ref:_00D1HNYw7._5005a1qN47W:ref ]

Hello Arne,

Are the uppers you're using made for 5.56?

Best Regards,

Chandler
Palmetto State Armory Customer Service
(803) 724-6950

ref:_00D1HNYw7._5005a1qN47W:ref

Sent: 7/14/2021 4:18 PM
Subject: RE: Thank you for your inquiry Arne [ ref:_00D1HNYw7._5005a1qN47W:ref ]

Yes, they are.

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 9:27 AM
Subject: RE: Thank you for your inquiry Arne [ ref:_00D1HNYw7._5005a1qN47W:ref ]

Hello Arne,

It seems you have a compatibility issue. Uppers chambered for 5.56 require a matching BCG to function. In other words, a .224 Valkyrie BCG will not properly fit or function in 5.56 upper receivers.

If you have anymore questions or concerns, please reach out.

Best Regards,

Chandler
(803) 724-6950

Sent: 7/15/2021 12:28 PM

What upper do I need?

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 12:36 PM

Hello Arne,

I've linked a compatible .224 Valkyrie upper in this email below. Our .224 Valkyrie uppers are currently out of stock. I recommend signing up to be notified when back in stock. If you have anymore questions or concerns, please reach out.

Thank you for choosing Palmetto State Armory!

Best Regards,

Chandler
(803) 724-6950

Sent: 7/15/2021 6:25 PM

The product link is a complete upper assembly, including bolt carrier group. The product description indicates that the receiver is an M4/A3 MIL-SPEC, which is a 5.56 receiver.

Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 7:03 AM

Hello Arne,

Yes sir, although the receivers are similar, 5.56 NATO and .224 Valkyrie require their own BCG's and barrel's. This is because .224 Valkyrie has a more wide diameter and greater overall length. I've linked an article that provides more detail. If you have anymore questions or concerns, please reach out.

Best Regards,

Chandler
(803) 724-6950

Chandler,
I have a .224 Valkyrie barrel, a .224/6.8 magazine, a mil-spec receiver, and a .224 Valkyrie BCG that appears to be out of spec. This isn't my first AR build and I'm very familiar with the differences between 5.56/.224 Valkyrie. If you can't help me, please forward this to your supervisor. Thank you. Arne

I would recommend that you forward your e-mails to Josiah McCallum @ PSA. Sounds like a carrier, maybe gas key, issue if you haven't even reached lug engagement. You could compare the carrier to any standard AR15 carrier if so inclined.

Toolcraft is on the ball. Only took a couple of hours to get a response from them.

Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 10:27 AM
To: [email protected]; Sales <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: .224 Valkyrie BCG issue

Hi Arne,

All I need is a mailing address and I'll be happy to get you a return label so we can get your bcg checked.

In appreciation,

Customer Service

So .224 Valkyrie requires a unique upper??? :eek:
@nammac, I think you already know the answer to that. The only real two differences I've noted in the various uppers I have, besides the Picatinny spacing on an Aero M4E upper, is the material of manufacture and web thickness. I have two PSA uppers and a host of other manufacturers (Aero, BCM, Anderson). What I've noted about the PSA uppers are they *sound* (ring test) and feel thinner and cheaper.
I have one PSA 224 Valk BCG, and it measures the same as the two 6.8 BCGs I have. I would have thought the bolt face to have slightly different dimensions, but no.
@Arne K , glad to see Toolcraft is up to speed. Seems to me if you could send a picture of the problem to PSA, there wouldn't be any issue and you could escalate quickly. However, they're just a middle-man, so going to the source is the best idea.

Toolcraft is on the ball. Only took a couple of hours to get a response from them.

Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 10:27 AM
To: [email protected]; Sales <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: .224 Valkyrie BCG issue

Hi Arne,

All I need is a mailing address and I'll be happy to get you a return label so we can get your bcg checked.

In appreciation,

Customer Service
Toolcraft?

IDK I've gotten hit / miss quality from PSA, I got an upper with a front sight that was canted, had to send it back. I mean I guess their gear is for builders who know when to return something in search of a good bargain.

PSA is generally good for the money, though I'm wary of buying anything from them that isn't mil spec 5.56 as I don't like proprietary stuff.

Toolcraft?

Toolcraft was the manufacturer of the BGC. PSA sells them.

-E-
@Bushman they also supply replacement BCG to the military so they are a solid manufacturer. I just bought one of their 5.56 "blems" on a $100 PSA deal and the only thing wrong is that I can't find any blemishes. Carpenter 158 bolt, properly staked, etc. I have two of theirs now - one in phosphate and one in nitride and both function properly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top