JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Always wanted some of those. One alternative is cut out a piece of hard styrofoam and pack that in, might try it first.

Anyone here do blacktails with 223 and recommend ammo?

A .223 has plenty of power for a blacktail. I shot one at < 50 yards with a standard plain Jane Federal soft point and it broke two ribs on entry, three ribs on exit and vaporized 3" of spine. I would stay away from hollow points or ballistic tip.

I saw a muley spike that was shot in the shoulder with a ballistic tip and it wasted 3-4 pounds of meat. I think a hollow point might not give you the penetration you need for a less than perfectly placed shot like a shoulder.

NOTE: Will NOT make a banned magazine legal! This product is intended for TEMPORARY capacity reduction of PMAG LR/SR GEN M3 magazines. This product does not constitute a permanent capacity reduction. The user is responsible for knowing applicable laws in any jurisdiction that restricts magazines based on capacity or regulates magazine capacity for hunting. Please check all laws and regulations of your state and locality to determine the legality of your host ammunition magazines.

upload_2015-7-23_13-34-48.png

Contact OSP and ask for a game trooper to contact you. We were told we could use UHMW and pretty much so the same thing with an SKS to make it hunting legal. We were told as long as it isn't easily removable we were good to go. Since this replaces the entire base plate, removing it would render the magazine useless. It is my opinion this would be legal for Oregon.

NOTE: Will NOT make a banned magazine legal! This product is intended for TEMPORARY capacity reduction of PMAG LR/SR GEN M3 magazines. This product does not constitute a permanent capacity reduction. The user is responsible for knowing applicable laws in any jurisdiction that restricts magazines based on capacity or regulates magazine capacity for hunting. Please check all laws and regulations of your state and locality to determine the legality of your host ammunition magazines.

View attachment 248875
That's for capacity restriction states. You can't throw that in the 20rd mag and be legal under Colorado law (15rd capacity). These are specifically meant for hunting. The majority of states allow temporary capacity limiters during hunting.

I have seen these mag limiters available at a bimart in hillsboro, blew my mind.
Also I do not have first hand experience with these bullets but Barnes offers a loaded 223 X bullets ammo, and Federal has the " federal Fusion" and both look great. I was greatly surprised when I saw how great the fusion performed in gel testing

A pop rivet will do the same thing for about 5 cents and a bit of time. That's the standard for "permanently" limiting a mag in Canada. It then takes about 30 seconds to remove it with a drill.

I Hand load that brings the cost down to less then a buck a round. 500 gr Hornady rn subsonic. Less then .50 for 300 gr Hornady rn. Here is a pic of the round in the mag image-jpg.244737.jpg

With sub rounds it is almost unlimited it is a lowpresure round some re-loaders have reported 100 times some report 50. I plan to keep track as I only have 250 cases right now .80 each

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews