JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm glad I joined this site. I had no idea the man behind our possible conversion is posting on here.

I have some questions...

First, with Kate brown using her executive power to force osp to make a 5 year log of purchases and transfers, thus making sb941 enforceable to those who decide to enforce it, will there be any language in the bill to put a stop to Oregon's new database? Obviously with a NICs check osp would have no involvement...Or would they? Not to sound like a tin foil hat but I'm sure if that executive order was still in effect and pushed by the Dems, there's no reason osp can't store our information or duplicate the data to be stored.

Second, I have only used osp, never NICs. I carry a chl and even without my chl my bg checks have been instant. I hear horror stories that NICs is slow. I hear that if there's a superficial error you can get a upin number. I hear of people being approved with good bg's having to wait three days. Call me impatient...Sure. The things I hear about NICs often make our point of contact state seem awesome. I honestly am fine with osp... It's the fbi I don't trust. I have never had an unpleasant experience with osp. Intact...For a reason I did have to talk to them, I felt like they were some of the nicest most helpful people ever. I feel we could be treated with less care with the fbi. I realize most of what I said aren't questions. I'm very skeptical.

Again...I may be a giant tin foil for this but I don't believe the fbi doesn't break federal law and have a database on us and our guns.
So, The 5 year log has been POSSIBLE for many years, but OSP wasn't doing it because storing all that data is expensive. They were dumping the records after 10 days. While I am also suspicious of the government, I also don't doubt the laziness of government employees. The NICS and FICS systems are completely separate. It would be illegal for OSP to intercept communications between a dealer and the NICS system.

OSP uses the NICS system currently to process your background. There is litterally a government employee (not a cop) sitting in Salem, typing your info in to the FBI system and waiting for an approval. The ONE difference is that OSP will delay a transaction until they can get an answer, be it 1 day or 1 year. NICS on the other hand will investigate your delay, but after 30 days the background dumps out of the system and has to be resubmitted. You might very well get delayed again, but every 30 days you'll have to do another background. There is no Federal or Oregon waiting period. The UPIN is provided at FBI discretion. If you happen to share a name and birthday or something with a felon (this DOES happen rarely) then they will ask you if you want a UPIN. That involves going to the federal building, prints, photos, etc.

If the FBI were secretly keeping a database of background checks then someone would have found out about it by now. Besides, when you run a NICS check, it only asks for TYPE of firearm (rifle, handgun, etc). There is no other data submitted. FICS by contrast requires FULL data on the firearm, make, model, caliber, serial, etc.

What possible conversion am I helping with? The background check system?

What possible conversion am I helping with? The background check system?

It seems nothing I guess. Thank you very much for further educating me of the process. You filled in a couple questions I always wondered about.

After reading your post I feel more comfortable with it.

My primary fear, not with my self really, but for all of us was osp just seemed more... open to communicate? Everything I read on about the fbi resolving appeals seems sooo slow and I own a lot of guns. Done a lot of BG checks. I'm used to my BG check being instant. I just hate hearing about clean people getting jacked with.

It seems nothing I guess. Thank you very much for further educating me of the process. You filled in a couple questions I always wondered about.

After reading your post I feel more comfortable with it.

My primary fear, not with my self really, but for all of us was osp just seemed more... open to communicate? Everything I read on about the fbi resolving appeals seems sooo slow and I own a lot of guns. Done a lot of BG checks. I'm used to my BG check being instant. I just hate hearing about clean people getting jacked with.
Okay, just wasn't sure if I knew you and didn't realize it.

I don't disagree with you. I'm just trying to find something that's even kind of positive for us, and is passable in a Democrat Super-Majority.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top