JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OQ, if you say that, then they will immediately put in legislation to prohibit anyone diagnosed with depression to own or be around firearms just like a felon.

Stay on the UBC topic.

He is discussing part of the current Bill. This thread is about the bill. There is no limitations on what can be discussed as long as it stays pertinent to the bill.

Starting a new post about Recalling Riley here.

Last Edited:
Where did you get the info on the signatures needed? The rules state signatures need to be more than 15% of the votes that the governor got in that district. Im trying to find the total votes for the governor in that district.
I could not easily find how many voted for governor in District 15, but I assumed every Senate vote was also a governor vote.

That doesn't make sense, this isn't your thread to dictate who says what, I AM on topic, my EXCERPT is UNEDITED, and as a free citizen I can say what I want to my senators. Whether or not you think it would cause harm is YOUR opinion, which I am NOT subject to.

Sorry to everyone else for going "off topic."

End
Sorry, I thought you posted for feedback. I was just stating my opinion as did you.
I wish you luck.
A vet diagnosed with depression that wants to keep his guns.

I wish I could go to the public hearing in Salem, but I can miss classes that day.

Anyone who can go to Salem would be doing the rest of us a great service. April 1st, 0800, Oregon State LegislatureBuilding 1-800-332-2313 | 900 Court St. NE, Salem Oregon 97301
OK - I sent this to: [email protected] today...

"A Flawed Premise Leads to Expensive Political Boondoggles

Greetings,
Elected Lawmakers, Fellow Oregon Citizens, Voters, and distinguished Guests; gathered here today for this most important discussion.

Thank you for your consideration in allowing one perspective on this volatile and divisive issue presented before you today.

Please give yourselves time to reflect before you enact this controversial law in our beloved State of Oregon.

By it's title; SB 941 – titled : "Oregon Firearms Safety Act" evokes expectations of SAFETY FROM HARM by FIREARMS TO ALL CITIZENS and VISITORS in Oregon!

The Title is false and misleading, and passage of SB 941 will undoubtedly lead to challenges based on ORS and U.S. Constitutional Law.

We can expect an onset of expensive and ongoing litigation at Taxpayer's expense, if SB 941 is enacted.

IMHO: Why not focus on a remedy to Funding Gaps for Law Enforcement; in order to stop the proliferation of Criminal Behavior leading to Gun Violence?

Laws already exist, Elected Lawmakers.

Please allow them to be enforced before burdening Taxpayers and Voters by enacting unnecessary Legislation, with unforeseen consequences.

Statistics and studies provided by others in testimony here demonstrate that criminals bypass all gun-control laws.

Without Enforcement, Laws alone aren't justified.

Prohibition of Legally Enacted Transactions between Private Citizens is a debacle to be avoided, and distracts from the real work to curb Gun Violence.

If SB 941 is enacted, an immediate, real-time Negative Economic Impact on Citizens engaged in Commerce, Recreation, and Defense will be felt.
The possibility of Endangered Lives and Property is very real; through the Prohibitions within this flawed piece of legislation.

Please give consideration to casting your Vote in Opposition to this divisive and costly experiment and instead, work with Firearms Owners and law Enforcement cooperatively.

Let's get together and look at this a different way - to educate away fears, and promote a safer environment – perhaps through more efficient allocation of funds for Mental Health Services and Law Enforcement.

The use of either; inflammatory or condescending language, when discussing an important issue of concern to all, often results in offending otherwise partnered individuals – and can cause delay, division, and a
failure to advance important work.

A more effective approach would be to cooperatively find common ground, and put into place sensible and sustainable guidelines for all present and future Citizens.

Imagine the outcry throughout your Constituencies if a Prohibition on the private sale of motor vehicles, without a Universal Background Check, was made into Law; based on the fear of a perceived threat. *(The following is a hypothetical example):
*"The rise in Hit and Run accidents in the Portland Metropolitan area should be of grave concern to all voters, throughout all regions of Oregon, and must be stopped.
No more unregulated Private Sales of Motor Vehicles!"
(ironic sarcasm – no offense intended to the victims of these preventable tragedies.)

Considering the Rights of Law Abiding Citizens engaged in Protected Activities should be the first Order of Business for Elected officials in our Representational Democracy.

Please remember two things Lawmakers:

First – Our Rights Do Not End where Emotions Begin.

Second - Voters invited you to Work for Them, and can take away your privilege, by Recall, or by voting for someone more to their satisfaction in the next election.

Ultimately, despite victories in early stages by challengers, Constitutional Law prevails over the ebb and flow of failed legislative experiments.

The Constitution is what We the People are United by – not the whim of zealots of any persuasion.

Please don't take Oregon down the road to endless Litigation by Legally Entitled Individuals and Business Owners vs. uninformed parties (no matter how well intended), on one hand, and increased lawlessness by the criminals on the other.

Please vote No on SB 941

Thank you most sincerely, for your time and consideration,

A Concerned Native Oregon Resident
P.S. Please take the time to review this informative link, thank you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_recall_election,_2013"

Last Edited:
As you know, the Prozanski-Burdick gun owner registration bill will be heard on April 1st at 8AM in the basement of the Capitol.

Calls to action by several groups are asking gun owners to start meeting on the Capitol steps at 7AM. If you are coming, and you should make every effort to be there, here are few things you should know.

There is metered parking on the blocks around the Capitol. Bring quarters. Lots of them. You may need to provide some for your brother and sister patriots.

If you plan to testify you will need to sign up. The sign up sheets will be placed outside the hearing room before the hearing begins. We don't know how long before the hearing begins they will be available. The earlier you can be there the better your chances of being able to testify. The sheets ask for your name, if you represent an organization, and whether you support or oppose the bill. Whether you get to testify or not, you can get written testimony on the record by emailing it to: [email protected]

The left likes to plant people at the head of the line and have one person sign up as many people as possible, even if they are not even there yet. Watch for that.

When you enter the Capitol you will want to head downstairs immediately. If you enter from Court Street, walk through the Rotunda and turn either left or right before you reach the information desk. There will stairways on either side.

If you enter from State Street, walk past the information desk and then turn left or right to the stairs.

Once downstairs, the hearing room, (Room 50) will be between the two staircases. It is the only hearing room in the Capitol basement.

If you have a CHL you may carry a firearm in the Capitol, openly or concealed. There will be a very heavy police presence.

The public will be limited to 2 minutes each, so be prepared. You will be especially effective if you have been delayed or denied because of the failed background check system.

Prozanski has coordinated this hearing to maximize the number of anti-gunners who will be there. He will stack the deck to get as many anti-gunners to testify as possible. That's just the way he rolls.

Democratic House Rep Caddy McKeown stated at a recent town hall that she had not read the bill and did not know what was in it, but she did say amendments were coming. Her staff later backtracked and said she didn't really know if amendments were coming, but assumed there would be. McKeown clearly knows more than she is revealing, but we are certain she is correct.

Be on the lookout for amendments that appear to make the bill less onerous. One possibility is that an amendment might be offered to allow gun owners to conduct their own background checks through the State Police, as they can now. Understand, if something like this is proposed, that it is a dodge designed to make you think you are gaining something. The bill will still be a registration law and has to be killed.

We have still seen no support from the Oregon Sheriff's Association and the Oregon Association of Shooting Ranges has taken no action that we are aware of. We know of only one gun club that has stood against the bill, the Canby Rod and Gun Club, which has since left OASR as a result of their policy of inaction. So, for everyone and every organization that is working, mobilizing and fighting, we thank you and look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.:D

Anyone going from Corvallis? My bicycle ride would be brutal.... Ride share? Totally don't mind helping with parking costs and petrol etc.

Message me if you are.. Thanks.

I share your concerns about the effort to once again push legislation forward that will compromise the rights of law abiding citizens while doing nothing to enhance public safety. I am not convinced Senate Bill 941 will encourage criminals to go to a federally licensed gun dealer (assuming one is available and willing to do the transfer) to run a background check on their fellow criminals. Those people will break whatever laws are in place if they seek to do harm to others, while citizens who try to obey the law will have onerous burdens to bear.

I would rather see Oregon lawmakers focus their energy on enforcing the penalties we already have on the books to stop violent offenders and improve our current system to help responsible gun owners defend themselves and others in the community. I encourage you to watch the bill by going to https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Measures/Overview/SB941 and clicking on the Measure History or Current Status. You can also find information on other bills by clicking on the "Bills" icon and entering the bill number in the field that comes up.

Keep up the pressure on the committee members as well as the Democrats involved with the bills. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your support of our 2nd Amendment rights.

Kim Thatcher

State Senator
Senate District #13
Office Address:
900 Court St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-986-1713

From OFF: 04.02.15

Action on the gun owner registration bill, SB 941, was postponed today until Monday.

The reason was because of an amendment that was proposed by Senator Kim Thatcher.

The amendment would eliminate the proposed expensive, intrusive and inaccurate background checks that would be required for private transfers, and replace them with a system whereby only prohibited persons would be identified.

Although the details would need some fine tuning, how it would work would be this: If you are a prohibited person, your driver's license would include an indicator, just as it does now for corrective lenses or organ donors.

Non prohibited persons would have no change. If you wanted to transfer a firearm you would only need to see the back of the recipients driver's license or state ID card. If there is no prohibitor the transfer is made with no background check, no fee, no registration and no paperwork.

There will be no record of the transfer and no list of guns or gun owners.

Transfers at dealers would have no changes, except a dealer would have the advantage of knowing beforehand that a person was going to be denied and could save himself the time and expense of running the check.

Because of the speed at which bills and amendments are created, there is no question that there will need to be technical adjustments, but it does put the gun grabbers in an interesting situation. It basically gives them everything they have demanded (a way to prevent transfers to prohibited people) but without the registration they claim they were not seeking. (Of course they are lying about that so now what will they say?)

If the background check system is as easy and reliable as the anti-gun crowd claims it is, they should be totally on board with this idea. Monday promises to be interesting.

Yesterday we told you about HB 3093. This bill would allow certain people who have permits to carry concealed handguns in other states to carry in Oregon. We said we thought the bill was a bad idea. Some folks misunderstood our stand. Our objection was not to allowing non residents to carry in Oregon. We've been working on that for many years. Our objection was to allowing the State Police to decide which states they would recognize. This was a power they had in the past and refused to recognize a single state.

Our preference would be to do away with permits and move to Constitutional Carry as more and more states are doing, but we would support starting with recognizing other states. We do not want the State Police to decide which ones. We are working on amendments which should address this issue. If they are adopted, the bill will be a great first step in ending Oregon's absurd policy of not recognizing a single other state's permit.

In a touch of interesting timing, we have been informed that Columbia County has added its name to the list of counties standing up for the Second Amendment. To the people who worked tirelessly to make that happen, thank you!

From OFF: 04.02.15

Action on the gun owner registration bill, SB 941, was postponed today until Monday.

The reason was because of an amendment that was proposed by Senator Kim Thatcher.

The amendment would eliminate the proposed expensive, intrusive and inaccurate background checks that would be required for private transfers, and replace them with a system whereby only prohibited persons would be identified.

Although the details would need some fine tuning, how it would work would be this: If you are a prohibited person, your driver's license would include an indicator, just as it does now for corrective lenses or organ donors.

Non prohibited persons would have no change. If you wanted to transfer a firearm you would only need to see the back of the recipients driver's license or state ID card. If there is no prohibitor the transfer is made with no background check, no fee, no registration and no paperwork.
<snip>

This is a very interesting idea. One that I was pondering regarding CHL holders. Of course now the question would become can this be used to discriminate against people in other ways?

It might be a win-win for the state as well.

They could require all Oregonians to get a re-issued ODL and apply a $5.00 or 10.00 fee...(something the Dims will say causes "hardship" for us all)

Think about that...a small inconvenience for all of us, an increase in revenue for the State and everyone required to update their ODL within a certain time period and anyone being pulled over by a LEO, or attempting to purchase a firearm will need to explain why they have not complied.

I would be okay with this.

It might be a win-win for the state as well.

They could require all Oregonians to get a re-issued ODL and apply a $5.00 or 10.00 fee...(something the Dims will say causes "hardship" for us all)

Think about that...a small inconvenience for all of us, an increase in revenue for the State and everyone required to update their ODL within a certain time period and anyone being pulled over by a LEO, or attempting to purchase a firearm will need to explain why they have not complied.

I would be okay with this.

Well, wouldn't it only be for those who can't pass one. And how will they check, will the DMV now be required to do a quick NICS-like check for EVERY driver's licence? How practical is that?

I have to admit, this one has me thinking. I got the OFF alert and while reading through it found myself a bit encouraged, though cautiously. I haven't had time to think through all the potential implications or complications. Personally, since we already have to have a CHL, I'd like to see all CHL holders excluded from further background checks - that license should act as a permanent check - maybe one they have to run every 2-3 years to watch for changes. We already pay to go through the BGC process to get our CHL's - why can't they count for us hear - for private transactions too - show me your CHL, I'll show you mine, and we're good to go.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. Anything to keep their dirty mitts off of our serial numbers would certainly be an improvement. I'm guessing they'll find a way to hamstring the amendment though. We need to keep up the pressure on all the legislators until this is 100% resolved, whether for good or bad.

Wasn't this PlayboyPenguin's idea?

I don't think I've seen that one before. But it's a good idea. Though the potential discrimination would probably stop the legislators from accepting it. The CHL idea seems like it would be less complicated. If you don't have a CHL, then you have to go through a standard BGC for each purchase/transfer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top