JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went to Chuck Riley's meet and greet this past Saturday in North Plains. He is all about this UBC bill and will not change his mind. His comment was that he campaigned on UBC and beat his opponent who campaigned against UBC so in his mind he won because of it. I wouldn't say he is as rabidly anti-gun as Prozanski. We asked him if he would support any other limits on firearms, specifically magazine limits and gun bans. He said no he would not. Unfortunately he is a politician and you can't take anything any of them say to the bank, so to say.

We also had a lengthy discussion on the Bill itself and what changes would make it acceptable to us, because this is going to pass, bet on it. He took notes and is going to see if he can propose an amendment to the bill exempting current CHL holders from the UBC when purchasing a firearm. He also said he will look into the possibility of changing the language of the Bill from "transfers" to "sales". Once again I don't know if he will do this but he seemed open to the suggestions of changing these items.

Hoping for the best.
If he barely beat Bruce Starr maybe he recallable.:mad:

I went to Chuck Riley's meet and greet this past Saturday in North Plains. He is all about this UBC bill and will not change his mind. His comment was that he campaigned on UBC and beat his opponent who campaigned against UBC so in his mind he won because of it....

Correction: He supported UBC in order to get the support from Bloomberg $$$ and support from volunteers (both paid and free). I even saw MDA phone banks from as far away as from Ohio, or people flying in from the east coast to help run phone banks and door-knocking. During the campaign I saw a couple comments on his facebook page ask about gun control. Most were deleted, the others unanswered. A friend asked the Moms Demand page where Riley stood on 'gun-sense'. The question was politely answered, but the question removed from the page. I actually took the time to support Starr during the campaign and I saw the large number of out-of-district support from unions and other left-wing-groups. And while I am not claiming to have been to every event or read every editorial, I never heard/read him talk about gun-control once in public. Not even on his campaign website.
Here is his list of supporters. What? No mention of MDA/Everytown/Brady?
Here is his issues page. No mention of UBC there either.
Brady campaign didn't officially <broken link removed> before the election.

So in that sense, his political support of UBC's did get him elected by carefully enabling him to get more election support on one hand, and avoiding the issue in the public on the other.

Edit: just went to his election facebookpage as well. It was a longlist of group photos with different non-washington county supporters. But hes since removed it. I know Starr recieved a Lot of endorcments from people witiin district 15. So there may be lots of other 'friends' out there that dont care about 2A as an ussue, but do about other issues.

Last Edited:
I wish I could go to the public hearing in Salem, but I can miss classes that day.

Anyone who can go to Salem would be doing the rest of us a great service. April 1st, 0800, Oregon State LegislatureBuilding 1-800-332-2313 | 900 Court St. NE, Salem Oregon 97301

We have to wait 6 months from the date he was sworn in to recall him. That was how the democrats set up Khitz to win and then boot him out of office for Brown to take over without having to run. I don't think we can start collecting signatures until it gets approved by the Secretary of State after the 6 months. However, I'm also a district 15 resident and I'd be happy to be a part of a recall campaign. Honestly, I am interested in running the campaign just for him being a cosponsor.

I sent Riley, Thatcher, and Prozanski a proposal to abolish FICS and go straight to the NICS system if we went with UBCs. It's not ideal, but NICS is way less invasive than FICS is. With the NICS system you don't input any data on the firearm except handgun or long gun. It also is required by law to expunge every day. FICS REQUIRES a firearm to be entered with make, model, caliber, type, and serial number. In addition, OSP can keep a copy of the records for up to 5 years.

I wish I could go to the public hearing in Salem, but I can miss classes that day.

Anyone who can go to Salem would be doing the rest of us a great service. April 1st, 0800, Oregon State LegislatureBuilding 1-800-332-2313 | 900 Court St. NE, Salem Oregon 97301
I will be there bright and early

I'll try to write up a short speech in case I can get the chance to speak.

Critical talking points on SB 941 for consideration and emails to legislators:

Criminals will get around the new law by accessing firearms another way: The threat of a misdemeanor criminal charge will not be a significant deterrent. Criminals buy and sell stolen underground weapons. Many are criminalized without any means of identification where serial numbers are ground off and unidentifiable. Keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals is almost impossible. Motivated criminals are unresponsive to gun laws. Illegal weapons can easily be and will be purchased off the street.

The law will be onerous and burdensome for law abiding citizens with layers of new requirements. This law will create crimes and criminals out of law abiding constituent citizens, by example, sport shooters, men and women hunters, fishermen and women in the shooting sports, collectors that buy, sell, and trade or loan firearms lawfully and previously with each other. It is not clear what priority prosecutors will charge persons under this new law for citizens who have been crime free except for an unauthorized transfer of a lawfully owned and private firearm under this new law.

Some are concerned the new law is unenforceable. It is not clear how law enforcement will learn of unauthorized transfers, especially when temporarily transfers were authorized or considered temporary in nature under the new law. It is considered that laws that are largely unenforceable diminish professional law enforcement and citizen respect for the law, and, in general, would further be excessive and unnecessarily offensive in our current police-social-legal environment.

The state's background system is heavily burdened and far from perfected and additional requests would further handicap the system. Our current system generates an unfortunate high number of false positive denials.

Perhaps others can expand on these talking points and contact their legislator with critical remarks on these issues.

Thanks for the read.

We have to wait 6 months from the date he was sworn in to recall him. That was how the democrats set up Khitz to win and then boot him out of office for Brown to take over without having to run. I don't think we can start collecting signatures until it gets approved by the Secretary of State after the 6 months. However, I'm also a district 15 resident and I'd be happy to be a part of a recall campaign. Honestly, I am interested in running the campaign just for him being a cosponsor.

I believe you are incorrect on the 6 months wait period. According to the Secretary of state's website:

A prospective recall petition may be filed for a public office holder, other than a state senator or representative, only after the public officer has served at least six months of their current term of office.

For a state senator or representative, a prospective recall petition may be filed any time, after the fifth day from the beginning of the first legislative session, after the election of the legislator.

Ha, me too been thinking about it for an hour or so

Here's an excerpt of mine (please forgive the unedited rambling):
The only thing that this bill would accomplish is the further stigmatization of mental health issues. People who are feeling alone or depressed are worried about what people would think of them for seeking help because our society has placed such a stigma on depression that people don't seek treatment. If you don't believe that then please give me a reason why 22 veterans a day in our country take their lives. Military veterans make up less than half a percent of the population of the US, but they make up 27% of suicides. A veteran is more than 50 times more likely to take their own life, and they are the strongest among us.

The fear is that they would appear weak in asking for help, and they are worried that they would lose rights. Our justice system, and our medical institutions treat mental health issues the same. Medication, isolation, removal of firearms. This is the system that is broken. This is the response that people fear when seeking help. This is what makes people hide their depression and anxiety. This stigma is what put a plane into the French Alps last week. That pilot feared losing his job for revealing treatment of depression, and suicidal thoughts. This law would further imbue the climate that there are repercussions for seeking help.

OQ, if you say that, then they will immediately put in legislation to prohibit anyone diagnosed with depression to own or be around firearms just like a felon.

Stay on the UBC topic.

Thanks for your email.

As usual, I will be a "No" on this legislation, however, I am concerned that, given the current makeup of the senate, my vote won't have much effect.

In any event, I will do whatever I can.
Best regards,
Betsy Johnson
(503) 986-1716

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Second Amendment is the lynchpin of our United States Constitution. I have strongly opposed any infringement on that unalienable right, including any expansion of the mandatory state background check system. I will not change that firm stance.

For the past four years, fourteen Senate Republicans and Senator Betsy Johnson (D) have maintained a 15 vote coalition that has prevented any anti-gun bills from moving through the state Senate. I was instrumental in establishing that coalition.

Two of the fourteen Senate Republicans were defeated in the November 4th election. Although I will continue to strenuously oppose anti-gun laws, our coalition no longer has the votes in the Senate to stop or in any way alter their passage.

May I suggest that you and fellow passionate defenders of the Second Amendment focus your attention on developing two more strong no votes from among the Senate Democrat Caucus?

Best regards,
Doug Whitsett
Senate District 28
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thank you for your email.

I oppose expanding Oregon's background check system. As a retired police lieutenant with 31 years in law enforcement, and as a Democrat, I frequently remind my colleagues that we do not need to fear law abiding gun owners.

Thanks again for your email and please feel free to contact me again on this or any other issue.

Jeff Barker
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks so much for writing to me. I know this is an important & emotional issue for all involved, and I will be studying the details of SB 941 further before taking an official position. I will make sure my staff gathers any materials from the Senate hearings for me to review. I appreciate your thoughtful letter and I hope you stay in touch as this issue develops.

Thanks again,

- Rob Nosse

Last Edited:
OQ, if you say that, then they will immediately put in legislation to prohibit anyone diagnosed with depression to own or be around firearms just like a felon.

Stay on the UBC topic.

That doesn't make sense, this isn't your thread to dictate who says what, I AM on topic, my EXCERPT is UNEDITED, and as a free citizen I can say what I want to my senators. Whether or not you think it would cause harm is YOUR opinion, which I am NOT subject to.

Sorry to everyone else for going "off topic."

End

I did some digging and to recall Riley, we need only 6000 signatures from District 15. It doesn't seem too bad considering over 21,000 voted against him in his district.

Where did you get the info on the signatures needed? The rules state signatures need to be more than 15% of the votes that the governor got in that district. Im trying to find the total votes for the governor in that district.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews