JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is not uncommon for ammunition, standard capacity magazines, and "scary" guns to become scarce during the now thoroughly routine panic cycles. I don't, however, recall optics becoming problematic.

This past week I was looking for a Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20㎜ to complete one of the two remaining projects. I checked half dozen of my normal sources and no one had them. I saw Optics Planet had them in stock, ordered, saw it hit my CC, then received an email a few hours later saying sold out and they estimated 2—4 months for it to be back. Cancelled and ordered from another vendor who showed in stock, only to receive a message the following day they were out, and had no idea when it would be back in stock. Not the end of the world, but I'd like to wrap up the lingering projects, because I'm done with such kind of work for now, and likely for good.

Out of morbid curiosity, anyone else having trouble acquiring glass or was this just a fluke?

Have not tried to buy one lately but it comes as no shock. Between the problems with getting stuff from across the water with the Covid, then add in the panic buying, this is to be expected sadly. The US for a LONG time just kept outsourcing way too many things. A few used to try to warn of a problem with this and they were either ignored or laughed at as kooks. Not so many are still laughing. 7 months into this and one thing that has still not come back is common cleaning supplies. I tried for a while to find some oven cleaner to do the grill. Finally gave up and had to order some. The sad part is as soon as this is over I very much doubt most will have learned anything. We will go back to depending on China for everything again. <shrug>

IIRC, I have read that Optics Planet is in the habit of showing something in stock and then when you order it they tell you it is out of stock.

My guess it is as much due to CV-19 as it is panic buying - Leupold and other manufacturers require manufacturing staff in the plant to manufacture their goods, and a scope for a rifle is not considered an essential service.

i think to speculate that the cause of an anecdotal challenge to buy a desirable scope is attributed to a panic buy syndrome is jumping the gun. Facts not in evidence, as they say. It could be something as simple as a stellar product review earlier this year combined with it not being a best seller so it's simply limited in inventory. Absent any concrete information directly related, the question posed is pretty much rhetorical, I opine.

We've had a recreational vehicle that floats ;) on order for several months, the dealer finally called and said all the pieces are now in place. In this case, every component is US-made but the manufacturers are each dealing with their own covid-19 issues. Manufacturers love JIT (just-in-time) supply chain, until the supply chain dries up.

Can't imagine Leupold is exempt.

Took damn near 10 weeks for the scope mount I ordered...got the glass quick but got lucky, as it was one of the last ones. Vortex showed 0 inventory on their site...but talking with them directly got me one. :D

I recently bought a CA Mesa during the middle of Covid and needed a scope, had my mind on a Leupold V3, spent many trips to Sportsman and they were always out with no idea of when they would get new inventory, so yeah definitely a issue getting optics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top