Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Opinions: optic for new M1A Scout in Sage ALCS/CV

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Kdawg2607, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Kdawg2607

Kdawg2607 NW Member

So, I've been looking at optic-ing my new scout M1A, that is currently mounted in a SAGE ALCS/CV chassis. I'm not quite sure what I'm building it for yet, but I'd like to have something that's good from 0-600 yards. Had been looking at the Vortex Viper PST 4-16, but it would require that I buy the SAGE DCSB so I can mount the optic far enough back on the rifle. I have a doctor optic on an offset ount that I was considering as a CQB backup if I went with the PST.

Enough of what I'm thinking about though! I want YOU to tell me what you'd put on the rifle, if money was no object. Just remember, I want to be able to carry the damn thing, so no massive thermal or NV set-ups. Let's keep it semi-reasonable. I'll start posting pictures/video if people actually show any interest! :cool:

2. BillCh

BillCh Vancouver Active Member

I put a NF 2.5-10 on my Scout/Sage for longer ranges and an Aimpoint M4 with 3x for closer. Both mounted to via a Larue LT-608.

The LT-608 is a quality rail, like you'd expect from Larue. I have the Aimpoint on another rifle now, so I have an extra LT-608 rail if you're interested.

Here is an older pic of what my setup looked like.

B
    Nightforce25x10TrijiconMS-03.jpg

3. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

If you don't mind a forward mounted scout scope, Burris makes a 3-12x handgun scope that has enough zoom for 600 yards.

My M1A Scout is running the 2-7x with their BallisticPlex BDC.

4. Kdawg2607

Kdawg2607 NW Member

BillCH, did you like the LT608 mount? I heard good things, but the SAGE mount has great reviews as well. How did you like the NF?

5. BillCh

BillCh Vancouver Active Member

Larue makes good stuff, plain and simple. IIRC the LT608 was designed for some other application, can't remember what. In actuality fits this application perfectly.
    I don't have any firsthand experience with the Sage mount. I'm sure it's fine too. I went with the Larue for a couple of reasons, cost, and I didn't want to have to remove my stripper clip guide.

I'm a NF guy and don't know any different. I have 5 and they all work just fine for me. The 2.5x10 32mm in the pic is a Mil/Mil with zero stop. My first NF was a NXS 5.5x22 50mm Mil Dot with 1/10 Mil clicks and zero stop too. After that I kind of got spoiled.

B

6. Kdawg2607

Kdawg2607 NW Member

Is that a doctor/rmr that you have mounted on the NF? If so, I assume that works well for close-in work? Thanks for all the help by the way! I have the same ebr stock, just with the shorter side rails. Been working perfectly with just irons so far.