JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assuming you're talking about the Wilson drop-in beavertail, they really don't offer much of an improvement in the "gun-in-hand" fit over the standard Colt "duckbill" safety. The have a straight cut to allow clearance between the beavertail and the frame tang... and as hard as it is to believe, IMO actually looks worse than the duckbill.
Seriously, your gun will not sit much, if any lower in your hand unless you have a thick web between thumb and trigger finger... the beavertail itself sweeps up a bit higher than the duckbill, so in that regard, it would be advantageous.

I don't know what 1911 you have, so it's hard to make a recommendation. You really need to read this. I use mostly Wilson, EGW and Smith & Alexander... with the Wilson 298 being most used. If you choose to do it yourself, you'll need the appropriate fitting fixture, some files, sanding blocks... and lots of patience.

Cheers,
C

I have a 1991 A1 and have been wanting to accomplish the frame mod for the BTGS, heck I am even in the process of making my own frame jig on my lathe but then I go to thinking about the drop in. Actually I have read similar reports IE. they don't really offer anything over the standard.

If you opt for the Wilson, they use a compound radius... which warrants their fixture. If you use a Brown or S&A, they use a simple hardened "doughnut" fixture, which if you have a lathe, you can easily make, although you may not be able to harden sufficiently to file against.
If you're like me, you'll bolt the jig up, scribe the frame and remove the jig... it can be made of aluminum if all you do is use it for a scribe guide.

You sound mechanically apt... so go for the gunsmith fit, it's worth it.

Have fun with it,
C

Actually I happened to have a section of hardened & polished round stock that measures .4998 so my plan is to drill the center hole and make a shaft that fits the GS holes in the frame, with a flat on one end for a stop and threads on the other to draw it tight to the frame and then go with a .50 radius style GS.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top