JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a Stainless M70 338 Win Mag from another board member, and find I really like the caliber.
Today while browsing at Cabelas, I came across a Tikka M695 in 338WM with a brake installed on the end, $800. I'd estimate 90%. The bluing looks good, the stock has some scratches on it (not gouges but not light), and they say the barrel has some fouling (didn't look). The action feels great. There's a throw away scope mounted too.

I've heard great things about Tikka's quality and accuracy. Nothing wrong with the M70, and it sure is on target at 200 yards. Just one of those, "if I spend $125 more & upgrade the scope, I can have this...."

In your opinion, is it worth the $800 they're asking?

I think the Tikkas are worth it but I wouldn't trade off a Winchester if it was plenty accurate.
Now given the condition of the Tikka in question,I would guess it to be worth around the $600 range.
Only problem is they don't sell as good as other brands.Not everyone sees them as any better than other brands.

Oh BTW,that is Tikkas's older model anyway. The new one,the T3, is the one to get

I read from other boards that while they appreciate the lightness of the T3, the M695 is preferred.
I'm not worried about 3 extra pounds. While in my 20's I would head into the mountains carrying 80#, I still carry 45#+. You can never be too prepared.

IMO, the Tikka is sexier. The Winnie will probably be sturdier considering it's never been dry when I've gone hunting.

I read from other boards that while they appreciate the lightness of the T3, the M695 is preferred.
I'm not worried about 3 extra pounds. While in my 20's I would head into the mountains carrying 80#, I still carry 45#+. You can never be too prepared.

IMO, the Tikka is sexier. The Winnie will probably be sturdier considering it's never been dry when I've gone hunting.

You need to realize that the Tikka T3 is not a real Tikka. Finland used to have two major rifle factories: one in Tikkakoski where the Tikka was made, and another in Riihimaki, where Sako rifles are made. Tikka rifles had a great rep with many hunters, and they were known for having great accuracy, as well as a great smooth working action. Through corporate mergers the two companies came under the same ownership. Later still, they came under the ownership of Beretta, and it was eventually decided to close the factory in Tikkakoski where the M695 and M595 were made.

So the old Tikka factory is no more, just like the original Winchester factory in New Haven is also gone and is no more. It was closed, and the Tikka T3 was designed to be a new inexpensive product line, produced at the Sako factory in Riihimaki.

I have a limited edition Tikka M695 in 338 Winchester Magnum available for sale, that also has a muzzle brake installed. It is a little lighter than a standard M695, as it has a factory camo synthetic stock, instead of a heavier wood stock. Its condition is around 97%. It has never been hunted with, and has no mars on either bluing or stock.

If you would really like to get a Tikka M695, I would let you have mine for $620. I live in Springfield, about 6 blocks from Cabelas.

If you like, I will take some photos of the rifle, and post them here. I'm in my mid 60's and in poor health, so I've been selling off most of gun collection for the past year, as I've stopped hunting. But I still have a handful of real nice hunting rifles left.

You need to realize that the Tikka T3 is not a real Tikka. Finland used to have two major rifle factories: one in Tikkakoski where the Tikka was made, and another in Riihimaki, where Sako rifles are made. Tikka rifles had a great rep with many hunters, and they were known for having great accuracy, as well as a great smooth working action. Through corporate mergers the two companies came under the same ownership. Later still, they came under the ownership of Beretta, and it was eventually decided to close the factory in Tikkakoski where the M695 and M595 were made.

So the old Tikka factory is no more, just like the original Winchester factory in New Haven is also gone and is no more. It was closed, and the Tikka T3 was designed to be a new inexpensive product line, produced at the Sako factory in Riihimaki.

I have a limited edition Tikka M695 in 338 Winchester Magnum available for sale, that also has a muzzle brake installed. It is a little lighter than a standard M695, as it has a factory camo synthetic stock, instead of a heavier wood stock. Its condition is around 97%. It has never been hunted with, and has no mars on either bluing or stock.

If you would really like to get a Tikka M695, I would let you have mine for $620. I live in Springfield, about 6 blocks from Cabelas.

If you like, I will take some photos of the rifle, and post them here. I'm in my mid 60's and in poor health, so I've been selling off most of gun collection for the past year, as I've stopped hunting. But I still have a handful of real nice hunting rifles left.

Sure Lance, let's talk.
I'll PM my phone number.

Jim

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR