Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Open Carry event went well in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Thebastidge, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

2. carracer

carracer Nampa, Idaho Active Member

Woo Hoo! Wish I could have been there!

3. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

Nice job!

4. fidelity

fidelity PDX New Member

Good work - How was the perception of the people at the Vancouver Peace & Justice event? Mostly positive, negative, or somewhat diverse?

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Wish I'd have known about it!!

Somehow I must have missed the announcement here.

6. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I did not know about it either. I am not opposed to such events but I often think they do more harm than good. I did a video recently about the subject and pretty much all of the feedback I got when asking people their thoughts when seeing such an event were negative. Both from civilians and law enforcement. A lot of people saw it as "look at those rednecks carry guns while getting drunk." Even though there was no alcohol even present. Their own bias made them overlook that fact.

This is why I feel opencarry.org needs to adopt a local highway so we can do open carry road clean up. That way people see the guns, have no reason to believe there is alcohol involved, and they see the people with the guns doing something that is undeniably positive and helpful to the community. I know I would participate.

7. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

The Columbian had a story on it, not bad actually except that they said:
    Not once do they tell the real reason which is State preemption!!

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

I wasn't there (I'm still in Afghanistan): I found out about it last minute, and if I had known about it in advance, I would have sponsored a table. My employees at my shop open carry on occasion, and open carry at the shop, and we are fine with the public carrying at the shop in a safe manner.

From chatter on Facebook from a bunch of the people who did attend, it was a very positive event with only one disgruntled person from the peace and justice group causing problems- or rather trying to: he was shut down very quickly when he tried to get security at the park involved.