JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
REDMOND, Ore. -- A deputy accidentally shot another deputy during a gunfire training exercise Thursday in Deschutes County, according to the sheriff's office.

The shooting occurred at a firearms range on Highway 126 east of Redmond at about 2 p.m. during training for the special operations team, said Capt. Tim Edwards.

The deputy suffered a non-life-threatening wound and was taken to a hospital, Edwards said. He is listed in good condition.

The shooting is under investigation and the names of the deputies involved are being withheld, according to the sheriff's office.

It's not a thread hijack if the context is gun-oopsies rather than county cops, right?

...The ball shot through the "o" in the word "North" on a wall map.

"Schools superintendent in rural Montana accidentally fires black powder gun during class"
<broken link removed>

Think I read about this one in 'This is True.' Randy's take was, kid brings a spork in his lunch bucket, ZT says he's expelled for a week. Teacher demonstrates live-fire in classroom, everyone says, "Meh."

(Maybe it's a Montana thing.)

MrB

REDMOND, Ore. -- A deputy accidentally shot another deputy during a gunfire training exercise Thursday in Deschutes County, according to the sheriff's office.

The shooting occurred at a firearms range on Highway 126 east of Redmond at about 2 p.m. during training for the special operations team, said Capt. Tim Edwards.

The deputy suffered a non-life-threatening wound and was taken to a hospital, Edwards said. He is listed in good condition.

The shooting is under investigation and the names of the deputies involved are being withheld, according to the sheriff's office.

Is that..................friendly fire? :s0092:

In my life I don't know how many times I have read about cops accidently shooting each other. Law of averages say when you handle guns wrong they will discharge in the wrong direction.

jj

In my life I don't know how many times I have read about cops accidently shooting each other. Law of averages say when you handle guns wrong they will discharge in the wrong direction.

jj

The guy with the gun, oddly, didn't do anything wrong. They were performing a training entry on a room built of a frame and tarp walls. Unfortunately, it looks like one of the members of the entry team stumbled at the back of the line and fell into the line of fire of one of the first in the room. There was no way the officer who pulled the trigger could have known the other officer had stumbled into his line of fire on the other side of the tarp wall. The officer simply engaged his target, assuming the backdrop was clear (as it should have been). An accident that seems to have actually been, an accident...

Know several local LEO's and this information was in a press release the next day.
Here's the text from the Press Release...

Oregon State Police and Redmond Police joined the sheriff's office in a joint investigation, the captain said.

Their investigation found that eight members of the team were making entry into a simulated building, constructed of tarps and metal stands, with Neemann in the lead, Edwards said.

As Neemann engaged targets in an enclosed room, Steward, who was outside the room, stumbled and fell forward behind the wall, in close proximity to where the target had been placed, and was not visible to Neemann, Edwards said.

Several members of the team shouted to stop the exercise, but Neemann already was firing at the target, Edwards said. Steward's arm pushed the tarp wall in front of the target, and he was struck in the right forearm, he added.

"The investigation concluded that this was an accidental shooting, and that Deputy Neemann had no way of knowing that Deputy Steward was in danger when he fired at the target," Edwards wrote.

"Changes to the construction and layout of the structure are being considered before future training is conducted," he added.

its sad, but these days nothing is allowed to be considered just an accident... people for some reason push so hard for a meaning behind every action. thats how video games and music get blamed for school shootings, and various other incidents get pinned on something or someone. notice all of the medical conditions and pills now? where are we going with all of it? i say backwards... finger pointing and passing the buck gets nobody anywhere.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top