JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you had to leave your home within 30 minutes of finishing reading this, with only what you were able to wear and carry on your person, how would you plan on handling your firearm and ammo situation? One could only carry so much.

I'm sure all who have considered the possibilities a disaster/emergency situation have a bag packed, but how many actually consider the weight of added firearms and ammunition into the total weight, on a long term scale. Aside from all of our 5,000 matching BOBs including water, food, medical, clothes, shelter, tools, edged weapons, etc, how much extra weight could most people realistically carry in guns and ammunition. I know a good deal of the people in this country have stockpiles of firearms and ammunition, and some even have plans for hiding their stash for later use. What if this was not the case and disaster hit YOUR area, rendering it unlivable and making it likely that you won't see your home or belongings there ever again. What the disaster is isn't necessarily important, as you might have to leave your home while not know what is happening or what to plan for. You just know that it's time to get the heck outta dodge and your feet are your only transportation. No car, no bike, no motor vehicle at all.

For those of you who need to know a scenario or don't consider these actual possibilities, they are just that, and they come up quite often. Not just in third world countries and to its inhabitants, but they happen here too, in the US of A.
Among the times I've been up the creek in my life, mother nature has added itself to the list.

Ive been in a number of hurricanes, living in the south for a solid chunk of my life.
Hurricane Andrew wrecked a slightly developed Florida in 1992. I was young. but have seen home videos and pics of the incredible damage to surrounding counties and areas.
In 2006, hurricane Katrina destroyed the levees in New Orleans. What most elsewhere didn't see were the hundreds of other towns in the SE region of the United States that got devastated. I lived in south Florida, at the time, and the roads were under water and debris, and stores and businesses were closed and damaged. Depending on where you lived, a canoe was needed for travel, so that would heavily add to the weight in areas where it was dry land...
Later on, I was living in south Texas for hurricane Harvey, in 2017. This hurricane was bad enough to consistently form mini tornados that we're ripping entire roofs off of houses just blocks away. I have a video wading through water that is thigh deep, with current strong enough to carry someone away. If anyone is interested, I can find it on my computer, and upload it.
While I was not in this next disaster, Mt Kilauea erupting in May 2018 also comes to mind. Another instance of road systems being damaged, among countless other things... Kilauea's lava flow destroyed travel routes that residents needed to use to escape the imminent danger that was literally flowing their way to devour everything they've packed to prepare for a disaster. Yes, acting fast and smart could mitigate many of the issues you'd run into, but a major event, while you're fast asleep, could cause unrecognizable damage before you are able to to wake up, gather what is needed, and go. Another key factor that many will have to take into account is that readying their loved ones, pets, and gathering necessary life-dependent meds and other weight will take valuable time that'll disappear fast.
I'm sure Yellowstone or one of these massive earthquakes that are re predicted every week could produce something similar to the event I'm referring to.

All of this said, have many of you are prepared for something like this without the help of a vehicle or modern transportation at all? Have you thought about only just a packs worth of ammo to last you the rest of your lifetime, until a restock somewhere down the line? For those of you that have a firearm for each purpose, what is your plan? And how long will you realistically be able it until it's time to rest, yet again. Not by military standard or Hollywood terms, but an actual realistic answer. Also, I'd imagine the answers I'll get will be matching the terrain and environment of the PNW, and not at all similar to plans for the south. I can't be alone in the thought of what I could carry in the event of road systems being down and travel still being a necessity.

IF everything I would "carry" could weigh only a few ounces, I still would not get far - at least not on foot - due to my health.

I have a "one ton" 4x4 flatbed (12') truck that can carry quite a bit (both weight and size).

That said, what would I carry on my person with regards to firearms?

I have specifically chosen a very niche rifle and pistol to give me what I consider to be maximum "firepower" (not necessarily velocity or energy or lethality) while being compact and light:

PS90-Std-Blk_008.jpg
Five-seveN_Rotators_1-1-1800x1275.jpg
The idea there is to use these for what they was designed for; a PDW, not a primary offensive weapon - something light, compact, with high ammo capacity (light and compact ammo, quite high capacity mags), ammo interchangeability between rifle and pistol, and a 200 yard range.

Paul Harrell mentioned that he had taken a deer with a 5.7x28 from a Five Seven, others have taken deer with .22 rimfire, several people have proven that it is a lethal round on humans, so in a pinch, I could hunt food up to including deer - especially if I am using the PS90. The added benefit of light recoil means increased accuracy and speed during rapid fire. The high velocity means more range than most pistol calibers.

I would also include this and some ammo for it:
IMGP3338.jpg

It weighs less than a pound and is a takedown, so it is compact and light.

If I ever get suppressors, I would include one in .22 caliber rated for centerfire.

Last Edited:
Swimming, walking or driving? *

* handi hint:
- Make your hiking boots look like fuzzy slippers, buy a sturdy walker, use it to carry your stuff, practice shuffling...
....you'll be rescued/picked up fast. ;)

Open carry my AR15 and Ruger P85, toss pistol mags and gear into this bag

I can toss on my LBE with 6 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags for the p85; then this pack. LBE carries water and first aid kit.

That's what wheelbarrows and carts are for;)
Would you really attempt to bring a cart or is that sarcasm? While it works, wouldn't it restrict you to the same issues that a car would succumb to? And how would you pull it? Maybe an atv or 4 wheeler for the guys who live in the mountains?

Cx4 carbine in its case and 92fs with around 2k-3k in 9mm in backpack, a few days of food in nut bars. I'd have to find water. I know where a spring is locally so I could get water. If possible, I would carry a shovel as well.

IF everything I would "carry" could weigh only a few ounces, I still would not get far - at least not on foot - due to my health.

I have a "one ton" 4x4 flatbed (12') truck that can carry quite a bit (both weight and size).

That said, what would I carry on my person with regards to firearms?

I have specifically chosen a very niche rifle and pistol to give me what I consider to be maximum "firepower" (not necessarily velocity or energy or lethality) while being compact and light:

View attachment 602077
View attachment 602078
The idea there is to use these for what they was designed for; a PDW, not a primary offensive weapon - something light, compact, with high ammo capacity (light and compact ammo, quite high capacity mags), ammo interchangeability between rifle and pistol, and a 200 yard range.

Paul Harrell mentioned that he had taken a deer with a 5.7x28 from a Five Seven, others have taken deer with .22 rimfire, several people have proven that it is a lethal round on humans, so in a pinch, I could hunt food up to including deer - especially if I am using the PS90. The added benefit of light recoil means increased accuracy and speed during rapid fire. The high velocity means more range than most pistol calibers.

I would also include this and some ammo for it:
View attachment 602079

It weighs less than a pound and is a takedown, so it is compact and light.

If I ever get suppressors, I would include one in .22 caliber rated for centerfire.
My carry items are quite light as well. My left knee dislocates a few times a day, when I'm not pushing it, so I I have it at a comfortable 20 pounds and my bag has all that I need. Granted, it's bare minimum, we have to make due with what we can get! I can add a 22 and sufficient ammo for it without too much of a weight gain. I hope everyone keeps a 22 handy. I like the space cowboy set up you've got, common calibers it makes it easier for you by a long shot.

i have all the other common calibers too; .357, .44, .45 LC/.454/460, 9mm, .40, .45, 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, .30-06, 12 & 20 ga. , 410, .30-30, .45-70 and more .22 rimfire than all the rest combined - and then some.

22 rimfire is by far the most important and useful IMO

Would you really attempt to bring a cart or is that sarcasm? While it works, wouldn't it restrict you to the same issues that a car would succumb to? And how would you pull it? Maybe an atv or 4 wheeler for the guys who live in the mountains?

There is half a million people between me and the mountains...

I'm not going anywhere.

If I did then there is a lot of pavement between me and anywhere I could only go with a backpack.

Why bother humping everything I'll need?

Not everyone has a good option to bug out...

And there are nice 4 wheeled garden carts that can hold a lot and easily be pulled with a harness or even a rope tied to the handle.

You don't think outside the box much do you?

Open carry my AR15 and Ruger P85, toss pistol mags and gear into this bag

I can toss on my LBE with 6 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags for the p85; then this pack. LBE carries water and first aid kit.

I also plan to carry a rifle. This brings to mind a very important detail that I always think of... in 2006, during hurricane Katrina, due to the looting and nature that people were reverting to, police and law enforcement in New Orleans were told to take firearms when they are seen in the streets. There were many surrounding circumstances and it was done as a "safety precaution" for the public, but it sounds like bee ess to me. How would you plan on handling that scenario? As much as no one plans on handing over their rifle, 10 itchy, underpaid soldiers in bad moods, pointing guns at your wife or children may make many turn theirs over. As much as it's a numbers game, and avoiding cities is paramount, what if the seizing of firearms includes small towns and mountain areas as well?
That said, most on here also own body armor, how does everyone feel about the attention that could bring on you?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top