JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys I'm wondering if there are any ranges around that would sell or give me their once fired .223/5.56 brass? I have a handful of sources online that will sell me 500+ once fired rounds from police training ranges for $35 shipped but was wondering if I could find deals like that at local ranges to support local. I'm in the Portland area and don't mind traveling a little to find a good place.

I asked that same question when I was last at SafeFire here in Vancouver. You are allowed to pick up your own brass (and sometimes you also get brass from adjacent lanes), but they will not give/sell any brass due to lead contamination liability, unless you are an employee and follow their internal safety procedures. I asked two people and got the same answer.

I'm not sure about English Pit (also here in Vancouver). Maybe someone has that info.

I asked that same question when I was last at SafeFire here in Vancouver. You are allowed to pick up your own brass (and sometimes you also get brass from adjacent lanes), but they will not give/sell any brass due to lead contamination liability, unless you are an employee and follow their internal safety procedures. I asked two people and got the same answer.

I'm not sure about English Pit (also here in Vancouver). Maybe someone has that info.
I know you can at English pit. My only issue there is that people bring their own ammo so there really is no way to say if it was already reloaded or not.

I know you can at English pit. My only issue there is that people bring their own ammo so there really is no way to say if it was already reloaded or not.

The only brass I leave behind, is the brass I can't find. With respect to brass I find on the range that isn't mine, I realize it is possible that I'm picking up twice fired brass but I think it is very very unlikely because most reloaders are brass hoarders, and it'll get inspected anyway.

But you don't even have to play the odds -- just pick up whatever 5.56 you see and anything that still has a crimped in primer is going to be new because a reloader will have removed the crimp so the case could be reloaded and if the crimp is there, it came from a factory before being shot. You should also see a pile of the same headstamp, same condition brass. The lone more darkly tarnished, oddball headstamp with the primer crimp cleaned off -- that could be one that got away from a reloader. Please mail it back to me, I just hate losing brass.

Last Edited:
Best of luck.

That's money down the tube if they don't sell it. I think the cheapest I've found is $.05 for .223/5.56 at ARPC.

Hey guys I'm wondering if there are any ranges around that would sell or give me their once fired .223/5.56 brass? I have a handful of sources online that will sell me 500+ once fired rounds from police training ranges for $35 shipped but was wondering if I could find deals like that at local ranges to support local. I'm in the Portland area and don't mind traveling a little to find a good place.

You're a bit south of here, but Custer Sportsman's Club a little north of Bellingham lets people scavenge brass. The police train here and leave their once-fired brass behind (but I believe that is .40 S&W). Caveat: you have to be a member or have a member sign you in.

FYI. I just looked at the English Pit web site and they sell brass to support the range and do not allow you to pick up any but your own brass: Clark County Gun Club - Brass Collection Policy

Must be a relatively new policy, since I was not aware of this before.
:(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads