JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have no doubt that many here are descended from people who came here from England within the last 400 years. That being the case, some of you may have wondered about the English language - one that I had to learn as a child, and has provided me with great amounts of deep thinking over the last 70-something years. I love it, and have studied it in great detail, even have a degree in English Literature to support my never-ending interest. One of the endlessly fascinating facets of modern English is how much it has changed since the Normans arrived in 1066, and ruined the plot somewhat. Not all was lost, and the language you are about to hear was common enough outside the aristocracy and royal circles until sometime around the middle of the 13th C, when the move towards English of a more recognisable form made itself felt more or less from end to end of the country. Chaucer might have known much of this, but it is not the english that he spoke - THAT was called Middle English, and had much French in it, as does over 40% of the language we speak today.

This is Olde English [OE] - AKA Anglo-Saxon - the language spoken by Alfred the Great, king of Wessex, who united the various elements of what was then a divided England against the occupying Danes, and insisted that men learnt to read and that the language they learnt - Western Wessex dialect - became the lingua franca of the kingdom, now known, in his own writing, as Aengland.

This bit of fun is something that many of us here in UK use to occupy long dark evenings - transliteration of a well-known stuff into Anglo-Saxon/OE, just because..... Anyhow, here in our part of England at this time of year it is almost dark at 3.30 pm, and full-dark by 4.....the evenings can be long if you ignore the haunted fish-tank in the corner.

In the 1950's, with children's TV a comparative innovation, there were a number of hand-drawn, stop-action cartoon programmes - this one, 'Noggin the Nog', is one of them.

Work with the settings, and you'll find the subtitles in modern English, and Old English - see how much you can get out of them. Knowing a bit of German, and understanding where many present-day English words have come from, will help you get more out of it.

Haeve atte!

Last Edited:
I find the history and development of the English language fascinating (I'm a bit of a history geek). I was viewing, on Youtube, some videos on Elizabethan English and how we miss a lot of the meaning and subtext (and innuendo) of Shakespeare's plays because of the changes in the language since then (if you've ever wondered why certain words are not pronounced the way they look like they should be, go back to the 1600's where the rules we have do not apply!). Understanding the origins of our language also makes the study of profanity quite interesting...

I find the history and development of the English language fascinating (I'm a bit of a history geek). I was viewing, on Youtube, some videos on Elizabethan English and how we miss a lot of the meaning and subtext (and innuendo) of Shakespeare's plays because of the changes in the language since then (if you've ever wondered why certain words are not pronounced the way they look like they should be, go back to the 1600's where the rules we have do not apply!). Understanding the origins of our language also makes the study of profanity quite interesting...
Yup. 'Odd's blood!' was originally 'G*d's blood!', and 'Swounds!', was 'G*d's wounds!'. Other curses and exclamations, like 'By the Rood!', and so on followed the same path. In Canada, my Quebec pals say 'Tabernac!', 'tabernacle', 'Chalice!', 'By the Holy Grail', and other similar stuff. Many of Shakespeare's English sayings are derived from the countryside around his place of birth - 'shapes our ends' refers to hedge-makers trimming the ends of the branches, as does the continuation, 'rough-hewn though they be'. Much of aphoristic English comes from occupations and professions - rule of thumb from setting the bow string, fast and loose, more from archery - 'fast' meant STOP! and is in use today in archery on the field. 'Loose' meant to release the arrow, so 'playing fast and loose' meant that a woman was fickle in the extreme. From shooting, we have have 'lock stock and barrel. and 'going off half-cock', as well as 'flash in the pan'.

After a few of these, I start to sound like that cartoon...

1670672192612.png

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR