JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually living in or closely around Cave Junction Oregon is about one of the most safe places in the Northern Hemisphere to survive a nuclear war, be it just a tactical exchange or a full out empty the magazines global thermonuclear war.

Except for all the potentially eye blinding distant flashes and potential thunder rumble one might not even know such a short violent war is going on. HOWEVER ... Surviving the peace short term medium term and long term would be horrible.

Just me.

Edit addition ... I forgot to add in the EMP effects, (if occurring) and the likely long term, (forever?) power outages.

Actually living in or closely around Cave Junction Oregon is about one of the most safe places in the Northern Hemisphere to survive a nuclear war, be it just a tactical exchange or a full out empty the magazines global thermonuclear war.

I was 5, and living just North of Seattle when the Cuban missile crisis occurred. I don't really have specific recollections of that time, but I definitely remember my dad packing us up and moving us to the foothills 13 miles North of Medford the following spring. He built a little cabin and we spent the next 2.5 years depending on kerosene lamps and an outhouse for modern convenience. Had a rather large effect on my frame of mind since. I've wondered why we ended up there specifically...is it safer because of the caves...or is it something else about that particular location???

I've wondered why we ended up there specifically...is it safer because of the caves...or is it something else about that particular location???
On the nuclear fallout maps that were produced during the cold war, SW Oregon was one of the few areas in the US that was supposed to be free of radiation, based on presumed Soviet targeting criteria and prevailing wind patterns.

Watching the smoke roll through virtually all of the western side of Oregon this year was an eye opener.

Once a nueclear winter starts game over so to me the only hope is an extremely limited war
We dont play that way - if there is a war we wil try to nuetralize the enemy and they us. Game over.

Honestly if the blast hits within 100 miles, I'm walking towards it, not away.

On the nuclear fallout maps that were produced during the cold war, SW Oregon was one of the few areas in the US that was supposed to be free of radiation, based on presumed Soviet targeting criteria and prevailing wind patterns.

They have since then probably read this and added an extra warhead in for those lucky enough to live there.

This nukemap will be appropriate for this discussion I think. You can play with the different bombs in the pulldown menu upper right....

I remember the good old days in the early 60's when mom stored several plastic bottles in our basement filled with fresh water. We read the CD manuals and dad had a limited supply of ammo for our shotgun and .22 pump.

Good times I DON'T want to relive.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads