JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone else watch Nova on Wednesday night? They looked (yet again) at the JFK assassination.

I thought it was pretty interesting seeing the ballistics tests they filmed. It surprised me that the rifle they used penetrated so many layers of pine boards stacked back to back.

Here's the schedule if you missed it on Wednesday:
Cold Case JFK » NOVA » TV » OPB

And here's the program description:
NOVA | Cold Case JFK

Something I always wondered about I got an answer off an interview on NPR the other day.

How long before the assassination did Oswald get the job at the Book Depository? Since the route would have been unknown until right before the motorcade how would Oswald have known to get a job there.

It was a full month before the assassination that an acquaintance of Oswalds got him the job it was not his idea to try to work there in the first place.

That makes me think it was completely an accident that he happened to be in that window maybe with a couple days planning at most.

Very interesting show. The timing between shots was quite impressive.
Oswald must have practiced with that rifle to be able to those rounds on a moving target.

Very interesting show. The timing between shots was quite impressive.
Oswald must have practiced with that rifle to be able to those rounds on a moving target.

I saw a show on Discovery (I think) where they explored the time and accuracy question. A pro was in fact able to replicate Oswald's performance. Probably a combination of skill (he was a Marine) and luck on the part of Oswald.

Granted a different rifle but at a much greater distance.

Mad minute was a pre-World War I term used by British Army riflemen during training at the Hythe School of Musketry to describe scoring a minimum of 15 hits onto a 12" round target[citation needed] at 300 yards (270 m) within one minute using a bolt-action rifle (usually a Lee-Enfield or Lee-Metford rifle). It was not uncommon during the First World War for riflemen to greatly exceed this score. Many riflemen could average 30 plus shots. The record, set in 1914 by Sergeant Instructor Alfred Snoxall, was 38 hits.

So that's one shot on target at 300 yards with 4MOA accuracy every 1.58 seconds And the Kennady shots were at 175-285ft according to the FBI report. and the time spread was as much as 8.3 seconds.

Something I always wondered about I got an answer off an interview on NPR the other day.

How long before the assassination did Oswald get the job at the Book Depository? Since the route would have been unknown until right before the motorcade how would Oswald have known to get a job there.

It was a full month before the assassination that an acquaintance of Oswalds got him the job it was not his idea to try to work there in the first place.

That makes me think it was completely an accident that he happened to be in that window maybe with a couple days planning at most.

Oswald got his job at the Book Depository primarily because of his failure(one of many)to make it as a lounge singer-a "poor man's Bobby Darin"(I know, many of you are asking "who's he??).

For the sake of history, I wish he had been more successful at being a lounge lizard-I mean singer(today, some might even excuse this loser by claiming his actions were the result of being a "frustrated artist"-like Hitler-or the result of childhood abuse-take your pick).

Anyway, below is a rare photo of Oswald with his backup band-that's Jack Ruby on guitar. Don't know who the keyboard player was but apparently he was a fill-in for the regular guy who was sick on the day of this particular gig.

oswald_zpse3262ebe.jpg

There's a guy where I used to live in the Mojave Desert, a youtube shooter called Mag30th. Extremely talented marksman, and he set out to debunk the common conspiracy point of "A Carcano is inaccurate and hard to use! It could never make those shots!"

650 yards 6.5 Mannlicher Carcano M91/38 rifle Kennedy Oswald - YouTube

I think he did pretty well. And also, if you do look at the layout, Oswald fired once the motorcade had begun moving down the street away from him. No lateral movement, so very easy to track. Also, a much shorter distance than some would think.

Oswald got his job at the Book Depository primarily because of his failure(one of many)to make it as a lounge singer-a "poor man's Bobby Darin"(I know, many of you are asking "who's he??).

For the sake of history, I wish he had been more successful at being a lounge lizard-I mean singer(today, some might even excuse this loser by claiming his actions were the result of being a "frustrated artist"-like Hitler-or the result of childhood abuse-take your pick).

Anyway, below is a rare photo of Oswald with his backup band-that's Jack Ruby on guitar. Don't know who the keyboard player was but apparently he was a fill-in for the regular guy who was sick on the day of this particular gig.

oswald_zpse3262ebe.jpg

OK, I don't care who you are; that was funny! Hats off to GED.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top