JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have used regular Nosler accubond bullets for years with great results. 3 years ago I bought a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and developed loads with the then new Accubond 129gr long range bullet. The lr version is supposed to expand down to 1300fps compared the 1800fps of the regular AB. The lr version also has a higher bc for long range work. I read several accounts of this lr version "blowing up" and causing extensive meat damage when striking game at close range. Well after killing 2 deer with my Creed at fairly close range I can honestly say I have not experience this at all. Muzzle velocity in my rifle is 2975fps with this bullet. The first deer, 2 yrs ago, was at 100 yds and was shot behind the shoulder. He was uphill and slightly angled towards me, so the bullet exited through the scapula on the off shoulder. He was drt with minimal meat damage and bullet was not recovered. Deer #2, shot last week, was at 50yds and was downhill and at a pretty good angle towards me. Bullet entered the neck hitting the spine and came to rest inside the the off shoulder. The deer was drt. The bullet certainly shed a good amount of weight but the mushroom looked good and remaining lead core was still bonded to jacket. Meat loss was also very minimal, isolated to some neck meat loss. Now while I probably wouldn't choose this bullet for a 26 Nosler, I believe it is a very good match for the 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting deer, antelope and caribou. I have yet to test the bullets performance at long range on game, but I am confident it will do well. I will try to get a pic of the recovered bullet and a retained weight tonight when I get home. Just from looking at it, I am guessing it retained around 40-50% of original weight.

Last Edited:
shot plenty of accubonds in 300wm and ballistic tips in 308 win. never have recovered a bullet from an animal. they usually have small entry, larger exits. nothin too crazy!

been great bullets in my experiences.

So the recovered NAB LR that started at 129gr, weighed 75.5gr. I haven't cleaned it up yet so there is still organic matter on it. So let's just call it 75gr. That is 58% retention of original weight. Diameter of expanded bullet was about .475" or about 1.8x original diameter. Here are a few pics of the recovered bullet.
A97EFA5F-9089-494C-B712-6C9EFEB2A1D9.jpeg 3095FD0E-D994-4994-BEBD-013E9948EBB5.jpeg D83ACB67-0B28-4A78-A271-ED5E5EB2C684.jpeg BD033A9B-3F43-4270-A3DD-F9229C64F2F9.jpeg

Last Edited:
Accubonds are fantastic. In different calibers I've had great expansion and weight retention on buck deer and elk at distances well under 100 yards. No experience with the long range ABs, though.

shot plenty of accubonds in 300wm and ballistic tips in 308 win. never have recovered a bullet from an animal. they usually have small entry, larger exits. nothin too crazy!

been great bullets in my experiences.

I have recovered exactly 4 regular accubonds out of about 16 deer and elk shot with them over the years. Retained weight ranged between 62% and 80% on them. One was a 180 AB out of a 300wsm. The other three were 140 AB bullets out of a 270. Performance has always been stellar with no lost game.

Last Edited:
So here's some things to consider about them.
1) BC. There is NEVER a single G1 BC, they are always stepped in supersonic flight. The Naval warefare testing center has long known they were seriously sandbagging their claims, the public who follows Brian's work had recently become aware of it. Short of the Ultramag type of velocities, ignore the G1; most rifles won't achieve it.
The bullets perform as they should, but as with anything tipped, can be a little messy at high velocities.

Cheers

I do not reload (yet) but am very interested in trying the Nosler factory offerings in .270 Win. I have also seen a factory loading from Winchester. Both of them are either 140 or 150 grain weight, I would assume that they would perform quite well.

I have tested the 140 gr. regular accubond extensively on both deer and elk launched from the 270 win. Performance has always been great. For deer the Lr version is probably fine but I probably would recommend sticking with the regular accubond for elk as the 270 will not carry enough energy past 400 yds or so. There will be little advantage in drop or energy with the Lr version within that distance. Also close shots may be messy and lack penetration on elk using the Lr version.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top