JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm an Oregonian and hold a CCL here. Looking to pick up a multi-state CCL as well. Only really interested being able to carry in the 13 westernmost states including the Rocky Mountains, the Great Basin, and the West Coast. Alaska and Texas would be nice too. I realize that Hawaii and California are out.

Anyway, it looks like Utah and/or Arizona would be the best and easiest option but the Idaho Enhanced permit checks the most boxes for a single CCL.

I understand that some/all of the training and application process must take place in person - I'm just wondering if it all can be accomplished in one visit or it there's no way around a multi-trip "experience" whereby I'd have to visit the state several times over the course of some extended time period.

Can anyone with more knowledge & experience in this regard shed some light on the process for me and/or provide any tips/advice?

All I know is the class is a 8 hour class. The class here does the class and shooting in one day. I would suppose you would take another day to apply for the permit as they might not be open after the class.
But I'm a resident now and I am getting ready to take the class soon. If I catch the instructor I'll ask him for more details

I was told by Idaho's State district attorney I could walk into any sheriffs office, do forms, pay money, and walk out with a temporary, hard copy to be mailed. Cool, We like road trips and are always looking for a reason to go places.
SCREECH, Glad I checked before I left.
Not so fast, MS. DA, when calling the closest sheriffs offices in a couple border towns, I was told it would take two visits due to time required for back ground checks with just enough time that it couldn't be done in a four day week end.
Considering two trips to Idaho, it was lower cost and more convenient to take the Utah approved 1 day course locally, pay a certified finger printer (I did @ Washington County Sheriffs dept. in Hillsboro) and mail it in. You also have to provide them with a passport style / size photo. I did that myself.
P-------r-------e-------s-------t-------o, Ok, a month and a half, but I was in no hurry as I already had this part of the world already covered. I finally was awarded with a license that encompassed more states than I needed to get to Ohio. It also Included Washington State so I no longer have to pay to renew carry permit there. Unfortunately, Oregon believes they are better than everyone else and will recognize no one, so I if you play here, you will need one.
I don't remember exactly, but the renewal for Utah is a fraction of Oregon's, & Washington, so dumping Washington's ends up saving me big the long run.
Utah's has a nice tidy plastic card where Washington's is a crappy, easily torn piece of paper.
The coarse got out early, no one burned up time asking questions since we all were there to satisfy the letter of the law for the Utah permit.
I advocate you go Utah.
As an aside;
From my original research, I believe out of state can get the "enhanced" Idaho permit but not without taking a three day approved course (in Idaho) which includes range time. @ no small cost though, with the extra states yield being rather miniscule.
Also, this was last summer, politically, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge so you should call an Idaho sheriff dept. in the area you want to go, and talk directly with the horses mouth.
All the sheriffs I spoke with in both Idaho and Utah were very friendly and helpful.

18-3302K. Issuance of Enhanced Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4) The sheriff must deny an enhanced license to carry a concealed weapon if the applicant is disqualified under any of the criteria listed in section 18-3302(11), Idaho Code, or does not meet all of the following qualifications:
(a)
(b) Has been a legal resident of the state of Idaho for at least six (6) consecutive months before filing an application under this section or holds a current license or permit to carry concealed weapons issued by his state of residence; and

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top