JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The "problem" with these is like guns. They can be a lot of fun. A few morons, are, well, morons. So of course as always the Gov. answer is not to punish the morons, it's to pass more laws. Far better solution would be to hammer good the morons so word gets around. It's just a matter of time till one of these does some breaking news type damage and they will be after more laws.

My birds (fixed wing planes and quad/helos) are all small and lightweight, not heavy enough to require mandatory FAA registration. I've been thinking about something bigger (DJI Phantom 4) realizing that would mean getting the license - under protest. I was willing, I suppose, but glad now that I won't have to... for the moment.

The idiot actions of others keep causing intrusive restrictions to be heaped upon too many of my hobbies - riding, boating, shooting (or simply being armed) and RC flight, just to name a few. And some of these assaults can get unreasonably expensive if not downright prohibitive. Makes me afraid to express any enthusiasm for anything else I like...

The problem is Drones are not MODELS to be a model they must be a miniature version of something thats full scale.

Most flying "model Airplanes" are not actually MODELS but in fact are miniature aircraft.

I only say this having been in the flying model/miniature airplane hobby for the last 48 years

You've been at it for awhile Mark! Only 6-7 years here, now that mass-produced, easy-to-use gear is widely accessible and affordable.

That distinction (model vs miniature aircraft) will certainly become pivotal legalese on both sides as the looming realities of licensing, restrictions and punitive consequences are aggressively pursued in rounds 2, 3, etc. Just like with Salem and DC when it comes to guns, we have not heard the last of this from the FAA.

I'm not looking forward to what it will all become when (not if) this is revisited with steroidal vigor. Believe me, the FAA is telling their lawyers as we speak, "Damnit, come up with something that sticks this time! And make it hurt!" Whatever shape the next phase of restriction takes (just like with guns), despite minding our own business and behaving sanely, we will be held accountable for the irresponsible actions of others.

But right now, the sun is up and there's no wind, so I'm going flying.

Last Edited:
dog park 1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews