JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey there,

Some of you all seem pretty tech savvy:

We'd like to record over the air (OTA) TV, while watching another channel. Any simple and inexpensive way to do this?

Figure we need a USB drive & a tuner, but all the tuners/programmers I've seen do not let you watch 1 channel while recording on another. Single tuners/programmers and a separate 2T drive run about $99-120 combined, so looking for similarish ballpark.

Mind that we do not have internet nor cable, no home computers (anywheres near current tech anyways...), and zero interest in getting reconnected.

Links to specific devices would be super super helpful.

Thanks!

Buy a cheap second TV that has output for the recorder. Used should be good enough. It doesn't need a large screen, since you will only use the screen to verify that you have set it up properly for recording. Used small flat screen TV's can be pretty cheap at garage sales.

Hey there,

Some of you all seem pretty tech savvy:

We'd like to record over the air (OTA) TV, while watching another channel. Any simple and inexpensive way to do this?

Figure we need a USB drive & a tuner, but all the tuners/programmers I've seen do not let you watch 1 channel while recording on another. Single tuners/programmers and a separate 2T drive run about $99-120 combined, so looking for similarish ballpark.

Mind that we do not have internet nor cable, no home computers (anywheres near current tech anyways...), and zero interest in getting reconnected.

Links to specific devices would be super super helpful.

Thanks!

If some more tech savvy don't chime in I know this is doable. I have seen them talked about that you could use any working PC and some simple parts to do this. Make the PC a DVR. If no one comes up with better just google it and I know lots of info comes up. When they went to digital OTA TV I remember seeing a lot of people talking about it and how well it works for many people. Now that you get HD OTA. Hopefully someone here can actually show links but if not it is easily found in any search engine.

In all seriousness, you need a dual tuner card independently fed, a large HD and software to do it.

I have one I bought awhile back and used it very little. It is a DVR for ota broadcasts, it has its own tuner and remote so you can set it and watch what ever you want on your tv while it records the other channel. It has a built in hard drive that it records to or it can also record to a DVD. It's actually a very nice unit and it cost me over $300 but since I bought a smart tv and a bose home theater system it is sitting on a shelf in the closet unused. To bad you're so far away as I would be very interested in selling it or trading it for a working 12 gauge pump. Any way, just do a search for a Magnavox H2160MW9A maybe you could find one closer to you.

magnavox h2160mw9 | eBay

Hope this helps you find what you are looking for.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top