JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's discuss ALL THINGS related to seeing in the dark. NVG, thermal, intensifier tubes vs digital, weapon vs head mount, white lights, ir lasers, helmets, skull crushers, adapters, pvs14 bnvg dtnvg or anything else you can think of.

So, I'm about 4 months into night vision goggles. I jumped in with dual tube atn ps31-3w.

Over all, I'm happy with the NVG, the included mount sucks though.

I'm still sorting out IR illuminators and other support gear.

I've tried the vir2 and the holosun LS321 lasers along with aimpoint, eotech and holosun optics.

I currently have a ballistic helmet and my satisfaction with it is moderate.

This is filmed thru my device and a cell phone:

How about these:
dual tube housing only, compatible w/ pvs14 lenses etc:

road in dark.jpg front yard.jpg

Here's my current setup - a Flir Breach, helmet mounted with a Mod-Armory J-arm, and a knockoff Wilcox mount.

I'm typically looking at distances in my pasture from 50 to 500 yards. I can detect stuff around 300 yards and can identify stuff around the 150 yard mark.

I will be upgrading to the Iray MH25 here in the near future.
20220209_193436.jpg

Here's my current setup - a Flir Breach, helmet mounted with a Mod-Armory J-arm, and a knockoff Wilcox mount.

I'm typically looking at distances in my pasture from 50 to 500 yards. I can detect stuff around 300 yards and can identify stuff around the 150 yard mark.

I will be upgrading to the Iray MH25 here in the near future.
View attachment 1128053
is land navigation hard with just a thermal? or are you mainly focused on static observation and pest control?

What mount are you using?
the atn came with a "g24" that appears to be a knockoff wilcox. with the tension screws tightened down, it works so long as you are ok not using the flip-uup feature.

I'll get an actual wilcox eventually but right now there's a lot of other priorities.

UPDATE:

just ordered a sionyx aurora for low light filming.

....so i'll be able to confirm what everyone already knows, that the aurora are not legit nods. :/

is land navigation hard with just a thermal? or are you mainly focused on static observation and pest control?
I'm just using it for static observation. Any sort of land navigation with obstacles would be extremely difficult. Walking through the yard is possible at a slow pace, but there is 0 depth perception.

For sure, hop's take is spot on. He lives in pdx as well, so I wouldn't mind assisting him in filming, shooting etc.

I won't be selling my gen 3's any time soon. So far, the sionyx is better than the naked eye in the dark, but it's performance falls off a cliff in anything but a 3/4th moon or better.

I mainly got the Sionyx for low light filming on my youtube channel.

In the longterm, i expect digital to win, especially based on packaging and field of view. but the aurora is not a pvs14.

For sure, hop's take is spot on. He lives in pdx as well, so I wouldn't mind assisting him in filming, shooting etc.

I won't be selling my gen 3's any time soon. So far, the sionyx is better than the naked eye in the dark, but it's performance falls off a cliff in anything but a 3/4th moon or better.

I mainly got the Sionyx for low light filming on my youtube channel.

In the longterm, i expect digital to win, especially based on packaging and field of view. but the aurora is not a pvs14.
I'm a TFB Writer so him and I shoot together occasionally. I'm supposed to meet up with him this weekend to do some NV stuff with another TFB Writer. The aurora is ..... interesting.

I'm a TFB Writer so him and I shoot together occasionally. I'm supposed to meet up with him this weekend to do some NV stuff with another TFB Writer. The aurora is ..... interesting.
I have a small blog, bino nods and a YT channel in its infancy. I compete in USPSA & 3-gun and am a mid-pack shooter at local events.

Obviously I'm not at TFB level but I'm willing to help out with filming, copy editing or anything else that may be needed.

I used to run an ATN PVS-14 on a Wilcox J-arm and G-11 mount. On rifles, I'd either run a PEQ or HS321G, depending on what I was doing. For extra illumination, I'd run a vampire head on either a rifle or on my helmet (with rotator). The 14 was great; clean and clear. With a Wilcox filter, it was much less green and helped with headaches after hours of use. But, a monocular always felt like a half measure. It worked well, but wasn't ideal. Saved my money and sold the 14 to buy an ACTINBlack DTNVS and it's been absolutely worth it. With LLI filters, it's close to white phospor in tone but less blue.

I used to run an ATN PVS-14 on a Wilcox J-arm and G-11 mount. On rifles, I'd either run a PEQ or HS321G, depending on what I was doing. For extra illumination, I'd run a vampire head on either a rifle or on my helmet (with rotator). The 14 was great; clean and clear. With a Wilcox filter, it was much less green and helped with headaches after hours of use. But, a monocular always felt like a half measure. It worked well, but wasn't ideal. Saved my money and sold the 14 to buy an ACTINBlack DTNVS and it's been absolutely worth it. With LLI filters, it's close to white phospor in tone but less blue.
I run the atn ps31, which is their version of bnvg. i sprung for the gen 3 white phos because i want to make sure i'll never financially recover.

i also have an ls321, i like it, but agree that it would be better with stronger illumination.

I run the atn ps31, which is their version of bnvg. i sprung for the gen 3 white phos because i want to make sure i'll never financially recover.

i also have an ls321, i like it, but agree that it would be better with stronger illumination.
Yeah, the HS321 is great for housework, but not suited for much beyond. It has difficulty with throwing past other light sources at distance.

If anyone wants to do night hikes in SW WA hit me up. Gotta be in decent shape and carry your own survival gear. The odds of getting lost are a bit higher at night.

Thinking larch mtn/silver star trails to start. Already been doing the local parks.

After this pic I added a knock off hellstar strobe that works OK.

EAA1A2FE-08BE-4DEC-A1DE-B7D968377D99.jpeg 7F401A6A-804E-4698-A81F-14BB179DE185.jpeg 38E9060E-5288-433C-9722-2818D5DE924D.jpeg 5470F070-4C3C-4A58-BC49-3F2817431D39.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top