JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got 2 pistols I want to add night sights to - a Springfield XD 45 and a S&W M&P 9c. 5 years ago my eyes were better than 20/20, but now my eyes are not as sharp as they were and my low light vision is diminishing, so I need some help with brighter sights. After looking around, I'm almost sold on the Tru Glo TFO sights. They have great ratings and I like that they have the fiber optics to make them nice and bright in daylight as well as night, and the price is decent. But with that in mind, I'm open to hearing other opinions if you'd like to weigh in. I also need to find a local GS that can put them on for me at a decent price and decent turnaround time.

So, my 2 questions for you guys:

1. Any opinions on the Tru Glo TFO sights? Got a different recommendation (that preferably isn't twice the price)?

2. I don't currently have a relationship with a local gunsmith for work like this. I live in the Oregon City area and work in SE PDX, so it's a bonus if it's in those general areas. Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks for reading and for your input.

Tru Glo TFO is great sights, just don't get same color on front and rear.

Since I'm used to standard 3-dot sights with the same color front and back, what would be the benefit to different colors front and back? Better visibility? Better acquisition of the sights? I've understood that green is one of the most visible colors, so I was thinking green/green, but again, I'm open to some opinions.

I have trijicon and TFO night sights (on different pistols, of course). The only downside to the TFOs is the reduced sight radius. Since most situations won't call for 20 yard head shots, its not a big deal but its still a consideration for me, at least.

Different colors: Green is the brightest but I prefer orange in the rear sight. Orange is a little dimmer but I like the fact that you will never confuse a rear lamp with the front when its too dark to make out the actual notch/post.

Hope I've made sense.

I have trijicon and TFO night sights (on different pistols, of course). The only downside to the TFOs is the reduced sight radius. Since most situations won't call for 20 yard head shots, its not a big deal but its still a consideration for me, at least.

Different colors: Green is the brightest but I prefer orange in the rear sight. Orange is a little dimmer but I like the fact that you will never confuse a rear lamp with the front when its too dark to make out the actual notch/post.

Hope I've made sense.

Yep, that does make sense, good point. Thanks for your input. I hadn't considered sight radius, but you're right, I'm not going to be attempting 20 yard head shots, unless the zombies come :p

The only other aftermarket sights I've had on an XD were "diamond speed sights" I saw a set of them on one of the forums the. Searched high and low to find them. They were pretty nice.
57E6E6DA-5F80-4C19-8399-99968F3E7140-1368-000000A3225670A4_zps5dd38271.jpg
6C33ECB1-654D-49C0-B382-7BFC843D567E-1499-000000B63B3A24D3_zpsb538761b.jpg

I found them online from a place out of Texas. It was about a year ago. I searched A LOT to find them in stock somewhere. They also make them for glocks and M&P's I believe.

Hope I've made sense.

Reduced sight radius?? what are we talk here fractions of a inch??

Have you ever tried to mix up the front and sight, I don't think it can be done, way to much hype about it.

My guns currently have either regular three-dot white sights or Trijicon night sights. I will be converting all of them to TFO's, assuming I like the first set I buy. Fiber-optic sights are so superior to anything else in the daylight, and adding tritium to them for night use just makes good sense. BTW, TruGlo has a patent on the idea; they're the only company that will be producing them for the next few years.

I have a single set of TFO sights on one of my rifles. Wasn't sure if I'd like them or not now after a couple of years of using them, I really like em. I have red on the front, green on rear. Very easy to get on target.

Reduced sight radius?? what are we talk here fractions of a inch??
The difference is almost half an inch (.467 to be exact.) I guess that's a fraction of an inch. On my shield that takes the sight radius with a trijicon at 5.26" to the TFO's 4.79". You lose almost 1o% of the sight radius.
photo 4.JPG
Have you ever tried to mix up the front and sight, I don't think it can be done, way to much hype about it.
I agree. Your grip has to be pretty messed up to get the front sight outside of the notch. At the same time, who knows how our grip is going to be when we have a BG coming at us.? With the orange rear, you'll be able to tell right away (if you actually have time to use the sights, given the situation.)

photo 4.JPG

A question for @SPHBS: the TruGlo website shows Green/Green and Green/Yellow, but no option for Orange. Where did you get the orange rear sights?

http://www.truglo.com/firearms/handgun.asp

For anyone with Green/Yellow, how hard is the yellow to pick up in direct sunlight? Other yellow stuff seems to wash out in sunlight, but I guess the yellow is on a dark background so maybe it works?

Last Edited:
I got XS Sights Big Dot Tritium Express Set for my Glock 22. I asked Curt's to order them and install them. They are awesome sights, as is Curt's!
See here:
<broken link removed>

I have the TruGlo TFO's on my Sig P6 and P226. Love the sights. I prefer all green, front and rear. I used to have the XS Big Dot on my Glock 36, and thought it was great , too, for a short range "front sight in a fight" confrontation. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top