JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Originally, nickel cases were for corrosion protection in leather holsters and cartridge belt loops.
Now I believe most defense and +P ammo is plated for easier visual identification.
I'm sure others will have more reasons to add.

Tilos

Tilos,
Is correct about they were designed for corrosion protection in leather and extended use in the chamber of your gun. They say brass can corrode if left in the chamber for a extended period of time and if your outside in wet weather conditions. Personally I have had brass cartridges discolor, but never had any corrode in the chamber. Leave brass in leather and its only a matter of time before it starts turning green/blue.

And no disrespect or ill intent to you Tilos, but the reason you see a lot of defense ammo and +P ammo in nickel cases is for the corrosion, not a load identifier. I have some Corbon defense loads, 9mm 115gr JHP +P+ 1350 fps and .40 S&W 165gr JHP 1150fps and there both brass case.

Also Throckmorton is absolutely correct on the split nickel casing's. Back in 1977 I had my old boss load me up some .38 Special loads, before I started reloading and all five on the first test fire split all the way from the rim to the mouth of the case. Needless to say I took the rest back to my boss and showed him they were a little "HOT" and he broke them down and lightened the load. lol
That taught me not to reload any "HOT" loads. I only purchase "HOT" loads for defense.

Blue Skies

The splitting is new to me. I've not seen more of that in nickle plated but I can't say it isn't so. I've seen both split.

Don't overlook how easily and nicely it cleans up as someone mentioned so corrosion resistance isn't the only advantage.

I have 1,000 once fired matched hs Speer 9mm cases I plan to load up for my PF-9 and they were really hard to find.

Nickel cases are shinner and look good all over the mat when shooting. They are harder on steel dies, than non-plated cases. With carbide dies, you can easly see when you have a scratch in the die. When reloading for your own use, they make it easier at the ranges to usually tell which case are yours.. assuming not many others are shooting w/nickel case..

I like both when clean and shinny

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads