JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After 30 years of acquiescing to my wife when choosing a dog, I laid my man card down and got "my" dog. She is a pedigree German Shepard, I got her about 10 days ago and she will be starting her 13th week tomorrow. She is wicked smart but has a stubborn streak (kind of like my eldest daughter).

She has pretty much housebroken herself with the exception of excited piddling. I am making sure she bonds to me first and I have been socializing the heck out of her.

At about 5 months She starts school- my goal for her is full off-leash trained.

I talked to this guy and both he and his wife were military dog handlers.

http://www.portlandoregondogtrainers.com/

Gotta go - she is trying to get my flip flop off which is her way of saying "I'm bored Dad!"

31E5A6CD-3055-45C1-AE32-0E4364E94DEE_zpsy94pmyig.jpg

86662DF2-1ED6-4091-8E97-0E9A687FFC32_zpsn35vs4h1.jpg

0B2F8AD5-2FBD-4AC4-BBAD-0D6DEBC8A268_zpsvqm8eld8.jpg

Ah...... Your in for a ride.
I think we need to talk. GSD dogs have some traits unlike other dogs.

When people give you dog advice. The first thing you need to ask is ''Have you trained a GSD''?
If they tell you . ''No but all dogs are the same''. Just smile for them and let them keep there fantasy.

GSD's need lots of exercise. They need to burn off energy. Or your not going to reach them.
4-5 mile walk a day. Maybe more? Even as a pup. They are machines! and want to work. So your gona keep in shape training her. ;)

Last Edited:
Big ears & big feet = big dog pies! :eek:

Shes a doll, Liberty! You're going to have great times with her!
What's her name?

Ah...... Your in for a ride.
I think we need to talk. GSD dogs have some traits unlike other dogs.

When people give you dog advice. The first thing you need to ask is ''Have you trained a GSD''?
If they tell you . ''No but all dogs are the same''. Just smile for them and let them keep there fantasy.

GSD's need lots of exercise. They need to burn off energy. Or your not going to reach them.
4-5 mile walk a day. Maybe more? Even as a pup. They are machines! and want to work. So your gona keep in shape training her. ;)

Stomper,
actually she seems to like privacy for "the poop dance". I have seen with Dobermans too that they like to find some bushes for their dooty. I don't think it will take much encouragement to make that a habit.

Sgt Nambu,
Lexa\lex-xa\ as a name for girls. Lexa's root is Greek, and Lexa means "man's defender". Lexa is a variation of Alexandra (Greek): Latinate feminine form of Alexander. Lexa is also a variation of Lexie (Greek).

Medic,
I was told that GSDs (and working breeds in general) need a job. I am working on what that might be but guarding the house seems like a good place to start. She can be outdoors when we are home and possibly when we are not once she is older. We live at the end of a 3/4 mile gravel road and the only close neighbors are on the other side of the small river that borders 270 degrees of our property. The water in the creek is like her Kryptonite at this point and is as good as a fence. She has been able to come to work with me twice so far and goes with my wife to visit the assisted living residents where her mother is.

A little background on us. My wife has been in the pet industry most of her life. First as veterinary worker for 10 years, then the owner of a pet care business then as the manager of three Petco stores and most recently as a rep for Nutro. While I personally have not owned a GSD, I have a great resource in my wife. I am also planning on professional training by ex military dog handlers. For right now we are working on not piddling on the floor, basic commands, socialization and bonding.

Also, train her to keep off the furniture... or you'll regret it! :eek:o_O
The 2 most important thing for new puppy owners
Tell the once make them do it the second time,then they understand they are going to do what you say,one way or another
And don't let a puppy do what you don't want a full sized dog to do.May look cute as a puppy but you let them start a bad habit and now you have to teach them to not do that thing.
Y'all are killing me. I don't want to get a puppy till after hunting season
You and Monica aren't helping much

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top