JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I just moved to Bend from the PDX area. I am looking to meet up with other shooters in the area, particularly members of COSSA. I would like to meet more experienced shooters who can tell me of good places to shoot in the area or even show me around the COSSA range, since I am yet to even go there. Also, I always appreciate shooting with more experienced people to help pick up on some of the knowledge that they have, since I have not been shooting for all that long.

It also be nice to meet like minded people in Bend. I am totally new here and don't know anyone. Seems to be quite a mixed crowd of people in this area, which I find to be a bit different than what I am use to from being in the PDX area for the last 10 odd years. The area seems bit more conservative than PDX/Vancouver, which I think is a good thing.

Anyway, if any local just wants to say hello, I'd be happy to know who is here.

Thanks.

Bend has plenty of areas to shoot beyond COSSA. I've heard good things about their range, but in 15 years of shooting, I've never joined, nor have I ever even been. I go out South of town when I go. Enjoy the weather. Buy a good coat, it would seem that winter is knocking on the door...

Hi MountainBear, if you know any good areas outside COSSA that are good to shoot, I would love to know. Since, I am new here and newer to shooting in general, I have never experienced the freedom of shooting in an area outside a range. I am not sure what safety precautions I am suppose to take and what kind of areas are legal and safe to shoot around here. I suppose I heard if the area has a berm of some sort that it would be acceptable, as long as there is nothing close behind you. I still feel a bit worried about the risks of shooting out on open land. I know one reason I moved out here is that I can have that freedom, which was practically impossible for me to have in PDX area. I hope to learn more about areas outside COSSA where I can shoot. From what I hear, the COSSA range sounds real nice, so I like to take advantage of it for the miniscule $75 a year fee.

Check a map for China Hat Road. There are a number of old cinder pits out there that are horseshoe shaped and make great ranges. They can be busy on weekends, but weekdays are usually pretty good. The first is about 1/2 or 3/4 of a mile past the Horse Butte Rd. junction on the left. Its a big cinder road going off to the left, hard to miss. The next is further out into an old burned area, so its easier to find. Its about a mile past the first or so.

Nothing wrong with COSSA, I've just never joined when I have free shooting areas all around. I've heard nothing but good things about their range...

Thanks I will go check them out.

I am yearning to go and shoot in an area where I can fool around and do all the things I could never dream of at the Tri-County gun club in PDX area. I want to shoot watermelons, cans, stuffed animals and other 3D inanimate objects. I like to try to hit moving targets. Someone told me about hanging a tire from a rope swinging from a tree and covering a target over the tire. This would be like shooting a moving target. There are many other types of tactical shooting skills I would like to acquire. I know in order to do this I need to find some open land that I can shoot. This type of training was one of my goals with moving to Central Oregon. I hope I can find places where I can train like this soon. I am rather sick of shooting paper from a fixed isle.

I'm not sure I'd do the tire thing, as I think it would be difficult to put a solid backstop to that. But the other stuff happens all the time.

Just remember to clean up when you are done so the USFS doesn't close the area to shooting. Most of us do, as I'm sure you do as well, its just that some people don't think or don't care. The Nat'l Guard youth Challenge program has cleaned it up several times for us in the past...

I keep my house clean and will certainly clean my mess at the shooting range. Thanks for mentioning it, as I am hoping all people do their part and clean up after themselves. That is one reason why PDX area is now off limits, because so many people trashed the remote areas where people loved to shoot.

I still don't know what is wrong with the swinging tire deal.. I mean I would only shoot at a swinging object that had a backstop behind it. I don't see why it would be any different than anything else? I was thinking all I need is to develop some type of object that moves, rather that shooting at a stationary target. I mean, in a real life situation, would you be shooting at an object standing still?

No, I completely agree. My only concern was finding a tree to hang the tire from that had a solid backdrop behind it in case you miss your intended target. The idea is very sound, it just might be difficult to find a place where you can safely execute it.
If you want, one of these days I can show you some of the areas I go out there and we can see if we can find a spot that would work. Feel free to shoot me an email...

No, I completely agree. My only concern was finding a tree to hang the tire from that had a solid backdrop behind it in case you miss your intended target. The idea is very sound, it just might be difficult to find a place where you can safely execute it.
If you want, one of these days I can show you some of the areas I go out there and we can see if we can find a spot that would work. Feel free to shoot me an email...

Email Sent...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top